Walmart

Nov. 23, 2011, 12:32 a.m.

Point #18 doesn't only apply to Walmart.

1. At Wal-Mart, Americans spend $36,000,000 every hour of every day.

2. This works out to $20,928 profit every minute!

3.. Wal-Mart will sell more from January 1 to St. Patrick's Day (March 17th) than Target sells all year.

4. Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target + Sears + Costco + K-Mart combined.

5. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people and is the largest private employer and most can't speak English.

6. Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the world.

7. Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger [HTML_REMOVED] Safeway combined, keep in mind they did this in only 15 years.

8. During this same period, 31 Supermarket chains sought bankruptcy.

9. Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world.

10. Wal-Mart has approx 3,900 stores in the USA of which 1,906 are Super Centers ; this is 1,000 more than it had 5 years ago.

11. This year, 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur At a Wal-Mart store. (Earth's population is approximately 6.5 billion.)

12. 90% of all Americans live within 15 miles of a Wal-Mart.

13. The value of product for Wal-Mart passing through the port of San Diego each year is a larger sum than 93% of ALL countries Gross National Product (GNP) …..and that is only ONE port …one way – that’s how Wal-Mart gets it's stuff.

14. Of the 1.6 million employees, only 1.2% make a living above the poverty level.

15. Wal-Mart's head office is located and centralized in Bentonville. Due to this fact, there are more millionaires per square mile there than any place on Earth.

16. The official U.S. Government position is that Wal-Mart's prices are no lower than anyone else's when compared to a typical families weekly purchases. That's the view of the statisticians at the Bureau Of Labor Statistics (BLS) responsible for calculating the Consumer Price Index (CPI).

17. 92% of everything Wal-Mart sells comes from China. Another 4% comes from Chinese owned companies in the U.S. or in 3rd world Countries.

18. Wal-Mart and MOST large companies, take out life insurance on it's employees, without their knowing. If an employee dies, ALL the insurance moneys go to the companies. i.e. An employee making $18,000 per year, dies, and the company might make as much as $1 million. Most often these moneys coming from what is commonly referred to as "Dead Peasant Life Insurance Policies", is paid out to executives as bonuses. (A common practice, unknown by the average consumer).

19. Wal-Mart now averages a "profit" (not sales) of $36 billion per year.

20. Let Wal-Mart bail out Wall Street. If not, consider shopping someplace pelse.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 23, 2011, 12:44 a.m.

Nov. 23, 2011, 1:02 a.m.

But its the only place i can find size medium dickies plaid jackets.

Nov. 23, 2011, 6:49 a.m.

Some of your points smell like BS. Link to some facts or it didn't happen!

Ben

Nov. 23, 2011, 7:12 a.m.

9. Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world.

Should say frozen and preprocessed food. I was at an outlet this past summer. Their fruit and vegi selection sucked. No wonder NA are in such sad shape.

Nov. 23, 2011, 7:33 a.m.

I buy cheese milk and bread there…obviously made in china.

Pastor of Muppets

Nov. 23, 2011, 7:37 a.m.

with extra lead!

Check my stuff for sale!

Nov. 23, 2011, 8 a.m.

I prefer the "fortified with melamine" brands

Pastor of Muppets

Nov. 23, 2011, 9:16 a.m.

Point 18 is the only interesting one to me. Hmmmmm I think I've just discovered a new business model…..

treezz
wow you are a ass

Nov. 23, 2011, 9:20 a.m.

Point #18 doesn't only apply to Walmart.

14. Of the 1.6 million employees, only 1.2% make a living above the poverty level.

20. Let Wal-Mart bail out Wall Street. If not, consider shopping someplace pelse.

This is the clincher here.

If people truly want everyone to make a living wage they should support companies that pay their employees a living wage.

Unfortunately most people prefer to save .10c on an item at Walmart then support a company that charges them more so they can pay their people a living wage and GASP make a profit themselves.

When we were in Switzerland we were shocked at the price of food and drinks in a restaurant. But this was alleviated when we learned that the servers actually make a living wage, and unlike here, are not dependent on tips to make ends meet.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Nov. 23, 2011, 9:23 a.m.

This is the clincher here.

If people truly want everyone to make a living wage they should support companies that pay their employees a living wage.

Unfortunately most people prefer to save .10c on an item at Walmart then support a company that charges them more so they can pay their people a living wage and GASP make a profit themselves.

When we were in Switzerland we were shocked at the price of food and drinks in a restaurant. But this was alleviated when we learned that the servers actually make a living wage, and unlike here, are not dependent on tips to make ends meet.

this.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Nov. 23, 2011, 9:48 a.m.

Boycotting Walmart is the easiest thing in the world. I hate going into them, I feel dirty. It's like boycotting a public toilet with an unflushed dookie. Just plug your nose, leave, and move on.

Nov. 23, 2011, 9:57 a.m.

Boycotting Walmart is the easiest thing in the world. I hate going into them, I feel dirty. It's like boycotting a public toilet with an unflushed dookie. Just plug your nose, leave, and move on.

Agreed. There were a couple occasions when I was a starving student that I bought groceries from Wal-Mart. Today, I won't even go in the place, it just feels wrong. Unfortunately, for people who don't make a living wage, it's a vicious cycle where they end up supporting the like of Walmart just to save a buck or two.

Way back from the old school days of NSMB…

Nov. 23, 2011, 10:09 a.m.

Some fodder for the anti apple crowd

http://mashable.com/2011/11/23/smaller-than-apple-infographic/

Nov. 23, 2011, 3:49 p.m.

Some fodder for the anti apple crowd

http://mashable.com/2011/11/23/smaller-than-apple-infographic/

^The way they massage the numbers is very Republican of them.

https://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:AAPL[HTML_REMOVED]fstype=ii

I'm sure if I wanted to spend the time looking into it (something mashable and
republicans count on) I'd not only find inconsistencies in the way the numbers
were done, but probably find complete inaccuracies too.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons