VR Goggles and Video Games (DCS World)

Jan. 2, 2020, 2:19 p.m.

Man things have progressed in video games!

I bought some Oculus Rift S goggles for my PC and downloaded DCS World combat flight sim, and my god, this is.......crazy. Its as if Im sitting in the cockpit. My neck is actually sore from dogfighting in F15s!

Im looking forward to downloading new modules with clickable cockpits - ie, the entire cockpit is mapped - you dont hit buttons on your keyboard, you look at the button/dial in the cockpit (which is a 100% model of the real plane) and use it (and the flight stick/throttle).

Visually, when Im spinning or about to crash, it makes my stomach feel like its actually happening. NUTS.

Anyone else here have these goggles/play DCS? What other games do you like?

Last edited by: Ddean on Jan. 2, 2020, 2:20 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 2, 2020, 4:20 p.m.

I've wanted to buy VR gear for a long time but I don't have a beast enough computer to run it, or the budget for it.

It looks so fucking cool.

Edit - on another note I have a CH throttle and Fighterstick I've been looking to sell if you're in the market.

Last edited by: thaaad on Jan. 2, 2020, 4:22 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 2, 2020, 6:33 p.m.

Thanks- I’ve got the Logitech x56 flight stuff so should be fine. 

My computer isn’t crazy. Its just a 3GHz i7 with 16Dram. You can easily get a gaming PC capable of running VR for under $1500. If you’re buying it for VR you don’t need a fancy monitor!

Jan. 2, 2020, 8:42 p.m.

I'm running a 3.4 Ryzen 5 with a 1070, 16gb ram as well, nothing crazy but I do like gaming :)

I strongly considered buying VR when I was playing a lot of Elite Dangerous but just couldn't justify the cost. Especially since it was still very new, and this was a couple years ago.

Last edited by: thaaad on Jan. 2, 2020, 8:43 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 3, 2020, 8:20 a.m.

Well VR goggles are now below $500. You can run them on your machine. My Rift S' were $450 boxing day sale.

Jan. 3, 2020, 8:41 a.m.

I bought the VR set up for my PS4 and it made me sick.  Like a weird sick that bothered me for the rest of the day.  I am sure Oculus is way better, but I have VR PTSD now.

Jan. 3, 2020, 10:35 a.m.

VR goggles make me a little claustrophobic not being able to see my surroundings. I'll probably pick up a set once the framerate and per-eye resolution get a little better a generation or two from now. Right now I use a X58 Rhino HOTAS and Track IR mounted to my headset for head tracking. Works great in DCS, Arma 3, Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous. Then I can make use of a higher refesh rate panel and better resolution.

Last edited by: jbazett on Jan. 3, 2020, 10:43 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 3, 2020, 12:47 p.m.

How does track IR work in DCS? If youre looking right behind you, what screen are you looking at? Or do you turn your head much less than 180 to see 180 on the screen?

Jan. 3, 2020, 12:59 p.m.

So when they have a mtb game will you stop riding your bike? Now you can do those 30ft step down gap jumps.

Jan. 3, 2020, 1:22 p.m.

Screw that, Im going for KOM!!!!!  Im coming for you ebikers.

Jan. 3, 2020, 1:28 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

How does track IR work in DCS? If youre looking right behind you, what screen are you looking at? Or do you turn your head much less than 180 to see 180 on the screen?

It's really customizable, so you can have it at about 1:1 for say a racing game, when you just need to shift your view by 10 or 15 degrees either way to see mirrors, I use something that resembles an exponential curve for flight sims, so shifting your head less than say 5 degrees, yields hardly any movement (less than 1:1 ration), but the further you rotate, the greater the rate, so if my head is turned about 20 degrees from center (which is still pretty comfortable, you're facing directly behind you. You can also have it accelerate at a linear rate too, or define different linear rates for ranges of motion. Then each preset is bound to the game, so you can have multiple profiles.

Pitch, roll and yaw curves are all customizable on the TrackIR, as well as X, Y axis movement (closer to, or further from monitor, as well as left - right parallel movement). Being able to move your head closer to the monitor to zoom in on controls for more granular control is pretty nice.

I've also build my own head tracker using an EDTracker kit that uses accelerometers to track head movement and a magnetometer to keep drift in check, but it was definitely not as accurate and couldn't track movement in X/Y and couldn't really keep track of roll as well. Fun little project though.

TrackIR actually seems really expensive compared to the VR stuff now. It only does motion tracking, no screens etc and for the unit, and the clip for your headset is about $250. An EDTracker kit is about $20 if you can solder and it does a pretty damned good job for the price.

Last edited by: jbazett on Jan. 3, 2020, 1:34 p.m., edited 6 times in total.
Jan. 3, 2020, 2:34 p.m.

This guy tracks!