VPN's

Sept. 28, 2015, 8:48 a.m.

Can that be possible?

Astrill has them. We have 2 years left on a membership for a Chinese movie streaming site so we want to continue using a VPN that makes us appear as if we're in China. We like that site because it has subtitles for the wife but unfortunately it can't be accessed outside of China.

One of my American friends has already moved back but has a membership for the same site, he uses Astrill to access it.

www.natooke.com

Sept. 29, 2015, 4:18 p.m.

Does PIA have Chinese based servers?

Yup…Hong Kong comes up on my list of PIA choices.
If I recall correctly…Astril rates pretty high on the VPN scale too…so might not be much difference between the two. Whichever is cheaper I guess once you need to buy more..

Sept. 29, 2015, 5:30 p.m.

What's the next step past a vpn?

www.vitalmtb.com

Sept. 29, 2015, 5:32 p.m.

What do you mean?

As in, "If I were a Nation-State, how do I defeat VPN"?

The RIAA and all those other commercial interests can't..

Sept. 29, 2015, 6:29 p.m.

Owning the hops?

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Sept. 29, 2015, 6:42 p.m.

Raise a billion dollars and build your own backbone.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 29, 2015, 7:42 p.m.

So basically nothing that doesn't get into diminishing returns pretty quickly. Thanks!

www.vitalmtb.com

Oct. 1, 2015, 12:08 a.m.

PocketLint has a PIA deal on right now. Two years for US$60

https://deals.pocket-lint.com/sales/private-internet-access-vpn

Oct. 1, 2015, 10:19 p.m.

How much enforcement does PIA do on breach of their services? E.g. They state:

Uploading, possessing, receiving, transporting, or distributing any copyrighted, trademark, or patented content which you do not own or lack written consent or a license from the copyright owner;

Thus torrents, grey market, etc would breach their service. I would assume most people use a VPN for those reasons. If they monitor the traffic they would know if you breached it.

You can cover your IP country easily without cost or at least a much cheaper cost so using a VPN for Netflicks would excessive.

It all just made me curious. Anyone "breaching" their contract with them?

I guess I have breached their contract almost every day for the past 2.7 years.

PIA has a server in Hong Kong:

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/network/

They say they do not log your traffic …

1. We do not log, period. This includes, but is not limited to, any traffic data, DNS data or meta (session) data. Privacy IS our policy.

2. We choose to operate in the US in order to provide no logging service, as there is no mandatory data retention law in the US. Additionally, our beloved clients are given access to some of the strongest consumer protection laws, and thus, are able to purchase with confidence.

3. We do not monitor our users, period. That said, we have a proprietary system in place to help mitigate abuse.

4. We utilize SendGrid as an external mailing system and encourage users to create an anonymous e-mail when signing up depending on their adversarial risk level. Our support system is in-house as we utilize Kayako.

5. We have a proprietary system in place that allows us to comply in full with DMCA takedown notices without disrupting our users’ privacy. Because we do not log our users’ activities in order to protect and respect their privacy, we are unable to identify particular users that may be infringing the lawful copyrights of others.

6. We do not log and therefore are unable to provide information about any users of our service. We have not, to date, been served with a valid court order that has required us to provide something we do not have.

7. We do not have a warrant canary in place at this time as the concept of a warrant canary is, in fact, flawed at this time, or in other words, is “security theater.”

8. We do not attempt to filter, monitor, censor or interfere in our users’ activity in any way, shape or form. BitTorrent is, by definition, allowed.

9. We utilize a variety of payment systems including, but not limited to, PayPal, Stripe, Amazon, Google, Bitcoin, Stellar, CashU, Ripple, Most Major Store Bought Gift card, PIA Gift cards (available in retail stores for “cash”), and more. We utilize a hashing system to keep track of payments and credit them properly while ensuring the strongest levels of privacy for our users.

10. The most secure VPN connection and encryption algorithm that we would recommend to our users would be our suite of AES-256, RSA 4096 and SHA1 or 256. However, AES-128 should still be considered quite safe. For users of Private Internet Access specifically, we offer addon tools to help ensure our beloved clients’ privacies including:

– Kill Switch : Ensures that traffic is only routed through the VPN such that if the VPN connection is unexpectedly terminated, the traffic would simply not be routed.
– IPv6 Leak Protection : Protects clients from websites which may include IPv6 embeds which could leak IPv6 IP information.
– DNS Leak Protection : This is built in and ensures that DNS requests are made through the VPN on a safe, private no-log DNS daemon.
– Shared IP System : We mix clients’ traffic with many clients’ traffic through the use of an anonymous shared-IP system ensuring that our users blend in with the crowd.

11. We are currently using our own DNS caching.

from here:

https://torrentfreak.com/anonymous-vpn-service-provider-review-2015-150228/

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

Oct. 1, 2015, 10:27 p.m.

^^^

And this goes back to my comment.. If they are really a company, it's in their best interest to operate this way.

If they are a Nation-State, well, they're not going to give up the goose if you want to download GoT.

Bottom line. If you are a terrorist, fuck off and figure this shit out for yourself.

March 10, 2016, 9:26 p.m.

so I'm thinking of hooking one of these up as i have been getting some annoying emails ..here in 2016 what are people using?

March 10, 2016, 10:55 p.m.

so I'm thinking of hooking one of these up as i have been getting some annoying emails ..here in 2016 what are people using?

Switched to pia from witopia because it has a kill switch that kills net connection if vpn drops. Both work well.

March 11, 2016, 8:33 p.m.

I'm going to look into this. thnx

March 11, 2016, 9:29 p.m.

Anyone using unblock-us and Netflix? If so, any success with USA region setting?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

March 11, 2016, 9:43 p.m.

Who knows.
They are logging.
Someones homeland secops
Runs that co.
Honeypot
Sting.

But still, for $70 a year I can get Netflix USA channels??
I am disgusted.

"Private Internet Access is based in the US and is a subsidiary of … "
That means that they are under 'safe harbour'
And that also means that Snowden's ex bosses has already sifted the traffic before ([HTML_REMOVED] after) it arrives at their servers.