Victoria

Nov. 29, 2015, 9:51 p.m.

The old retired folks just drive around all day, it's a colossal shit fest of epic proportions. I thought Richmond was hard to beat, Victoria wins hands down.

Nov. 30, 2015, 5:20 a.m.

I maintain that Nanaimo has the best location for MTB in BC. Tons of trails that are easily accessed for great rides, prevost just around the corner, Cumberland a short drive the other way and Courtney not much further.

Time for a family vacation methinks…

Nov. 30, 2015, 7:38 a.m.

I maintain that Nanaimo has the best location for MTB in BC. Tons of trails that are easily accessed for great rides, prevost just around the corner, Cumberland a short drive the other way and Courtney not much further.

Hard to beat. When I get bored it's only 40 minutes to Tzouhalem, Prevost and Maple.

http://folksmcg.shawwebspace.ca/asset/view/68294/nanaimo.pdf

Nov. 30, 2015, 7:54 a.m.

No. I'm apprenticing at an equipment dealer.

OIC … your timing seemed just about right for that job.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Nov. 30, 2015, 8:44 a.m.

which are the good trails in Cumberland and which are the better trails to hit up in Courtenay?

Nov. 30, 2015, 9:45 a.m.

Just stop at the bike shop for a map in Cumberland. I'm particularly fond of Snowden in Courtney, and forbidden plateau

Nov. 30, 2015, 10:51 a.m.

Oh right, I forgot:

- the weather is terrible
- the pay is low
- job opportunities for professionals suck
- houses are really expensive
- traffic is terrible
- the homeless are overrunning us
- theres very little riding and it's all boring XC

Please stay home, we're full.

Oh, and also forgot: the people aren't very friendly. This one is true, but unless you're coming from somewhere outside Canada you won't even notice.

Nov. 30, 2015, 12:21 p.m.

Thanks for all the info folks! Not big surprises, so we'll keep it in on the short list.

Nov. 30, 2015, 12:41 p.m.

Snowden in Courtney

Snowden is in Campbell River. :dizzy:

viperfunk.com

Nov. 30, 2015, 12:43 p.m.

which are the good trails in Cumberland and which are the better trails to hit up in Courtenay?

Cumberland: Thirsty Beaver (Upper and Lower), Blockhead, Numskull, Truffle Shuffle, Slick Rock, Blue Collar, Vanilla, Bear Buns to name a few. Those are all nice. Easy to get to as well.

viperfunk.com

Nov. 30, 2015, 9:49 p.m.

there are no trails in courtenay by the way. c-land or the plateau. courtenay=c-land

Nov. 30, 2015, 11:25 p.m.

My wife and I recently moved back to the south island from Vancouver and landed in the Cowichan Valley (Mill Bay, Shawnigan Lake, Duncan, Cobble Hill, Chemainus, etc.)and we couldn't be happier. Found Victoria had changed since we'd been gone and found the valley far more affordable. The riding is amazing (Cobble Hill, Tzouhalem, Maple, Prevost, etc.) and it is only getting better. Can be in Vic in under an hour and Cumberland in two hours. Think of Duncan like Squamish 10-15 years ago. The potential is huge! We thought of Langford but it is getting crazy busy. Colwood crawl is as bad as getting on the Lionsgate.

Dec. 1, 2015, 8:09 a.m.

Oh right, I forgot:

- the weather is terrible
- the pay is low
- job opportunities for professionals suck
- houses are really expensive
- traffic is terrible
- the homeless are overrunning us
- theres very little riding and it's all boring XC

Please stay home, we're full.

Oh, and also forgot: the people aren't very friendly. This one is true, but unless you're coming from somewhere outside Canada you won't even notice.

and don't even think about swimming in the harbour.

Dec. 1, 2015, 11:46 a.m.

My wife and I recently moved back to the south island from Vancouver and landed in the Cowichan Valley (Mill Bay, Shawnigan Lake, Duncan, Cobble Hill, Chemainus, etc.)and we couldn't be happier. Found Victoria had changed since we'd been gone and found the valley far more affordable. The riding is amazing (Cobble Hill, Tzouhalem, Maple, Prevost, etc.) and it is only getting better. Can be in Vic in under an hour and Cumberland in two hours. Think of Duncan like Squamish 10-15 years ago. The potential is huge! We thought of Langford but it is getting crazy busy. Colwood crawl is as bad as getting on the Lionsgate.

I grew up around Shawnigan, was nice. Duncan has everything you need now, back then a trip to Victoria or Nanaimo was neccesary for a lot of things. Lake Cowichan is looking good for a first time buyer like me.

Dec. 1, 2015, 1:11 p.m.

Duncan's housing prices are pretty damn cheap! Is it a good place to raise kids though?