Victoria

Nov. 29, 2015, 4:17 p.m.

You sir have taken low standards to a new low.

Id rather live in courtenay but my jobs keeping me in nanaimo for now. Which I didn't care for at first but after 2 years here I don't mind it at all. It's got everything you'd want and a great island Hub location. I can be in renfrew in 2 hours or 2.5 hours to Tofino hour and a half from mt Washington and Strathcona park. Traffic is a breeze compared to Victoria the only bottleneck is between lantzville and parksville.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Nov. 29, 2015, 4:45 p.m.

I like View Royal as far as places to live. If I lived and worked in Victoria I would be riding my bike a lot. I work at the esquimalt dry dock every so often and the traffic is awful at times. By 2020 a lot of traffic flow projects will be done but the population isn't getting any smaller either.

Nov. 29, 2015, 4:52 p.m.

Don't know why everyone says the traffic sucks so bad. Compared to what? I live in Colwood and commute downtown every day. 25 minutes each way in the summer time, maybe at the most 45 minutes in the winter. I lived in Toronto for years and spent way more time in traffic. Every time i go to Vancouver i can't believe how much worse the traffic is there. We live in a $700k 5 year old 3800 sq.ft. house that would be $1,000,000.00 plus in any other major city considering how far it is from the downtown core. I am 20 minutes from riding in Sooke. 25 minutes to the dump, 10 minutes to bear mountain where they are building a trail system, and not that far if i feel like hitting Tzhouhalem or Maple Mountain. Also less than 5 minutes to multiple beaches and hiking trails. Lots of activities for the kids in Langford/Colwood too.

Nov. 29, 2015, 4:55 p.m.

Nam looks like a bit of a dive. Its got some nice areas, but the 'downtown' area is a shit hole. Sorry.

There are some really nice spots in and around Vic for sure. I like it up more towards the Hartland dump, a little North east I suppose. Kinda in between the ferry and the DT core.

Nov. 29, 2015, 6:32 p.m.

Nam looks like a bit of a dive. Its got some nice areas, but the 'downtown' area is a shit hole. Sorry.

There are some really nice spots in and around Vic for sure. I like it up more towards the Hartland dump, a little North east I suppose. Kinda in between the ferry and the DT core.

I lived in nanaimo for 6ish years and ya the downtown is a dump I rarely needed to go there. There are still quite a few ALR properties around that you can still pick up a couple of acres for sub 500k that feel like you are in the country but are still minutes from everything you need. The location of it on the island is unmatched.

I now live in Victoria and checking out different parts of Island sure takes longer and is real easy to pull the plug on adventures.

Biking in Vic is a pretty quick and easy to get around. Just like any city you get used to manovering around and figure out when and where to go to minimize your time in traffic.

I'm the best at being modest !

Nov. 29, 2015, 7:07 p.m.

I lived in nanaimo for 6ish years and ya the downtown is a dump I rarely needed to go there. There are still quite a few ALR properties around that you can still pick up a couple of acres for sub 500k that feel like you are in the country but are still minutes from everything you need. The location of it on the island is unmatched.

I now live in Victoria and checking out different parts of Island sure takes longer and is real easy to pull the plug on adventures.

Biking in Vic is a pretty quick and easy to get around. Just like any city you get used to manovering around and figure out when and where to go to minimize your time in traffic.

This. Prospect lake area wouldn't be bad. If I had to move back to Vic id consider there or mill hill area of Langford

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Nov. 29, 2015, 7:29 p.m.

Once in awhile I'll ride the train tracks down to Fitzwilliam, cross the bridge into town and ride the Seawall to work. Rough for sure which is a shame cause the downtown core has some nice places to eat and drink. Never had any issues with people but you don't exactly want to park down on Albert, Nicol or Haliburton. Too bad it didn't end up more like Victoria because the location is great.

Nov. 29, 2015, 8:08 p.m.

So is the Hartland Dump the only real place to ride in the greater Vic area? There must be other riding areas yeah? TBH the dump was kind of a let down when I rode there last year, especially coming from Kamloops where the riding is amazing and everywhere.

Nov. 29, 2015, 8:40 p.m.

The dump is what it is. The rest of mt work s awesome. Partridge hills across from the dump s great. Stewart mountain also really good. Lots of stuff outside the dump. The dump gets all the press though

Nov. 29, 2015, 8:42 p.m.

Id rather live in courtenay but my jobs keeping me in nanaimo for now. Which I didn't care for at first but after 2 years here I don't mind it at all.

Really? Are you working on the South Fork project?

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Nov. 29, 2015, 8:53 p.m.

Really? Are you working on the South Fork project?

No. I'm apprenticing at an equipment dealer.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Nov. 29, 2015, 8:55 p.m.

So is the Hartland Dump the only real place to ride in the greater Vic area? There must be other riding areas yeah? TBH the dump was kind of a let down when I rode there last year, especially coming from Kamloops where the riding is amazing and everywhere.

Sooke has good riding

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Nov. 29, 2015, 8:56 p.m.

The dump is a small chunk of Victoria's riding. Most of the goods here are pretty low pro (but blowing up). Anything good requires pedaling.

As far as traffic goes, yes it's better than Toronto and Vancouver but it's also totally avoidable. Personally, I've been a commuter and really hated how much of my life it killed and how car dependent it made me. I'm a carpenter and have managed to make bike commuting work by being centrally located. If you want to be slightly remoteish than check out the saanich peninsula direction. Easy commutes, tons of riding at your doorstep.

Nov. 29, 2015, 8:57 p.m.

Victoria is not MTB nirvana like the interior and south coast IMO…. there is some decent riding, and yes its accessible year round for the most part but it is not Kamloops, Nelson, Kelowna, the North Shore, Pemberton, etc…

Now you can buy a road bike, shave your legs and stuff your package into some lycra… then you will fit right in…

Nov. 29, 2015, 9:11 p.m.

Victoria is not MTB nirvana like the interior and south coast IMO…. there is some decent riding, and yes its accessible year round for the most part but it is not Kamloops, Nelson, Kelowna, the North Shore, Pemberton, etc…

Now you can buy a road bike, shave your legs and stuff your package into some lycra… then you will fit right in…

Haha yeah a person can get really spoiled in this province.