Victoria

Nov. 29, 2015, 8:09 a.m.

We're considering Victoria as a place to move to. Looking around at houses on mls.ca and noticed there are pockets that are affordable (sub $700k) with nice homes and big lots, yet close to multi-million dollar areas. I find the disparity between housing prices to be somewhat odd, considering most cities or areas remain ballpark.

We've spent some time there, have family and friends there, but one thing I don't know is what areas to avoid or conversely what areas that are hidden gems. What I want to know is: where is the Surrey of Victoria? Would it be Esquimalt? Langford? There are some really affordable, well appointed homes in those areas.

I was looking at the Millstream region because we like land, privacy, forests, etc. But it might be a little too far out.

I hate winter so much that Victoria is on the short list. I'm fishing for first hand knowledge that I don't have because I have never lived there. Spanks.

:dizzy:

Nov. 29, 2015, 9:56 a.m.

Esquimalt WAS the Surrey of Victoria. It's still a bit rough in parts but also has very nice neighborhoods/housing stock.

Anything towards Langford and you'll have to deal with traffic. It's only getting worse. Although Millstream kinda has "back door" access via west saanich, I'd say it suffers from the same traffic problem as Langford. Think 1hr ish car commutes to downtown.

Nov. 29, 2015, 10:41 a.m.

Figure out your commute along the galloping goose trail or other bike paths - before you buy a place. Forget about car problems and profit.

Nov. 29, 2015, 10:42 a.m.

Langford is good if you hang out in Sooke or need big box stores or never need to head into DT Vic.

My sis and her BF live on the other side of the bridges in Esquimalt. The area is being gentrified but there are still big old houses around. A lot of cycling infrastructure has been added so getting into DT without car is good or I'll walk the seawall into DT.

The Colwood Crawl is apparently the sucks.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 29, 2015, 10:42 a.m.

yup, winter sucks. So much so that I'm considering moving out of the snow belt and somewhere on the coast as well…year round biking again? yes please.

I have nothing constructive to add but I'm quite curious to hear why you're considering Victoria instead of any of the other small but great communities on the island or coast.

Nov. 29, 2015, 10:45 a.m.

and ya, last time I was in vic the traffic sucked.

Nov. 29, 2015, 11:06 a.m.

The traffic is terrible. That's one thing that would drive me crazy.

Nov. 29, 2015, 11:55 a.m.

traffic is shit. one 2 lane road out of town… (malahat)
I like victoria way better than vancouver.. but still would rather live in courtenay/campbell river area. even nanaimo aint half bad

but if you must live in vic id live langford area due to easy access to getting the fuck out of town.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Nov. 29, 2015, 12:31 p.m.

traffic is shit. one 2 lane road out of town… (malahat)
I like victoria way better than vancouver.. but still would rather live in courtenay/campbell river area. even nanaimo aint half bad

but if you must live in vic id live langford area due to easy access to getting the fuck out of town.

not sooke? I actually liked sooke quite a bit last time I was visiting a friend down there a few years ago. but they're out of town a bit, near the 17 mile pub which is a good establishment in my books

Nov. 29, 2015, 1:01 p.m.

sookes great, I loved it when I lived there, if you can live and work there it would be ok .. but literally half the town works in victoria so traffic is horrendous since there's only one shitty road out of town and anytime there's a crash it gets shut down..

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Nov. 29, 2015, 1:45 p.m.

We're considering Victoria as a place to move to. Looking around at houses on mls.ca and noticed there are pockets that are affordable (sub $700k) with nice homes and big lots, yet close to multi-million dollar areas. I find the disparity between housing prices to be somewhat odd, considering most cities or areas remain ballpark.

We've spent some time there, have family and friends there, but one thing I don't know is what areas to avoid or conversely what areas that are hidden gems. What I want to know is: where is the Surrey of Victoria? Would it be Esquimalt? Langford? There are some really affordable, well appointed homes in those areas.

I was looking at the Millstream region because we like land, privacy, forests, etc. But it might be a little too far out.

I hate winter so much that Victoria is on the short list. I'm fishing for first hand knowledge that I don't have because I have never lived there. Spanks.

:dizzy:

Do you work from home? If so anywhere is good. Strawberry vale, glanford area. Still somewhat affordable. Easy to get outta town.
Like others have said. Traffic in Victoria is ridiculous. Very poor infrastructure to deal with the amount of people living here. Anywhere past Vic general hospital and you are in a mess of traffic.
The highlands is beautiful but a long commute into town
For the size that Victoria is the traffic really is unbelievable.
I know we are not the lower mainland but we literally have one way in and out. Admirals around the gorge isn't bad. Big lots. Solid homes. Keep in mind if you cross into esquimalt area or Vic west. You are trapped by bridges
I know guys that commute from Duncan to Vic everyday for work. Same from sooke. If you don't mind being n your vehicle for 3 hours a day than you'll be fine.
If you commute by bike. By a place out near royal roads and take the goose into town. Hope this helps
Vic is nice and there is some great riding here

Nov. 29, 2015, 2:53 p.m.

I dunno I was back in Victoria last year doing a course downtown and commuting from my parents in Langford, was like 20 minutes drive, doing it earlier was a big help. Langford to uvic sucks, and I suppose if the route involves veterans parkway that would add to it.

But for all we know the commute doesn't matter? I grew up in Langford it's fine. Lots changing lately, new stores and houses everywhere every time I go back.

Nov. 29, 2015, 3:23 p.m.

even nanaimo aint half bad

You sir have taken low standards to a new low.

Nov. 29, 2015, 3:36 p.m.

Lived there for 20 years. Traffic sucks. No way around it. I would personally endure interior winters than deal with traffic snarls. I love being back in the interior.

Nov. 29, 2015, 3:54 p.m.

You sir have taken low standards to a new low.

Bat-Boy tends to spend some amount of time Up There™ so it makes sense.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.