Vancouver is going to Hell....where is the Outrage!

Dec. 23, 2015, 12:27 p.m.

I don't read it regularly, much of our household spending would rate under the scrutiny of the MMM. I skim pretty heavy when I read it so the smug stuff usually gets skipped. I'll agree that the wheelchair type comments are lame.

I've been a long distance commuter, it eats your soul. If you've never had a 5-10 minute bike ride to office you might not realize just how good it is. At this point it would take a very very large salary increase for the coolest job in the world to get me back into a car for a drive commute.

doing a commute on a motorcyle definitely helps makes things more fun.

one of my top prioroites in choosing a place to live was less than a 30minute commute to work and one that could be done in 30min by bicycle as well. to me that strikes a decent compromise.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 23, 2015, 1:23 p.m.

Don't like it? Move.

the teh

Dec. 23, 2015, 1:31 p.m.

Don't like it? Move.

But I like it here!

Dec. 23, 2015, 1:35 p.m.

How many bricks would MMM shit if he knew people in Canuckistan got paid by their employers to fly in and out of an oil rich country yet still lived where they wanted to?

He's Canadian so I'am betting he's well aware.

My counter argument to MMM is that there is more to life than squandering away money that'll never be used. Him and his offspring sound like they'd be real stick-in-the-mud kind of people.

I'm sure a day of skiing at WB isn't very moustache like either ;)

See I don't read it that way. I read it more that he'd search for the best discount deal on the tickets, or he'd game the Edge Card and find the way to get his ski days down to the lowest rate. Once the ski day count goes high enough to tip you into a pass being cheaper he'd buy a season pass. But the take away is that he'd first look at all the true costs and spreadsheet that crap.

Being frugal doesn't equal being boring, sure there are lots of boring cheap people, but personally I see a big difference between cheap and frugal.

Dec. 23, 2015, 2:34 p.m.

See I don't read it that way. I read it more that he'd search for the best discount deal on the tickets, or he'd game the Edge Card and find the way to get his ski days down to the lowest rate. Once the ski day count goes high enough to tip you into a pass being cheaper he'd buy a season pass. But the take away is that he'd first look at all the true costs and spreadsheet that crap.

Being frugal doesn't equal being boring, sure there are lots of boring cheap people, but personally I see a big difference between cheap and frugal.

I haven't read this MMM fellow/fellow-ette, so am only commenting on what's been said here.

Does this person discuss the opportunity-costs involved with performing the work outlined above?

Dec. 23, 2015, 3:44 p.m.

Problem is that if there is an accident, it is taking MUCH longer to clear. Even an accident with little damage and no injuries has emergency crews blocking everything off for a long time. A basic rear ender in the middle of the bridge, with hardly any damage, will have both parties stop and call police. In the past, they would have driven to the nearest exit and swapped info there.

This x 1000000000 … I see this all the fricken time and not just on the bridge/highway … wtf is wrong with ppl?

:canada: :england:

Dec. 23, 2015, 6:39 p.m.

Don't like it? Move.

We're in the planning stages. Getting ugly around here IMO and only going to get worse.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Dec. 23, 2015, 7:37 p.m.

The Shore has been mayhem all week, actually months… Growing up in the Cove, it hurts to see those just trying to get home to Seymour/ Deepcove but stuck in all the bullshit West of the Second Narrows. Why an alternate route was never put in is a crime. Although that would be clogged by the bridge traffic also. Really starting to see the higher density impact . Plus the traffic coming on in the morning and off on the evening is more than what was traditionally the rush hour traffic - that is crazy

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Dec. 23, 2015, 7:58 p.m.

A basic rear ender in the middle of the bridge, with hardly any damage, will have both parties stop and call police. In the past, they would have driven to the nearest exit and swapped info there.

Ha. Vancouver. Last time I tryed that the cocksucker who rear ended me did a u-turn and drove away.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Dec. 23, 2015, 8:09 p.m.

The Shore has been mayhem all week, actually months… Growing up in the Cove, it hurts to see those just trying to get home to Seymour/ Deepcove but stuck in all the bullshit West of the Second Narrows. Why an alternate route was never put in is a crime. Although that would be clogged by the bridge traffic also. Really starting to see the higher density impact . Plus the traffic coming on in the morning and off on the evening is more than what was traditionally the rush hour traffic - that is crazy

yeah, i know plan my trips to the shore very differently and this has negatively affected my opportunities to go do trail work. just a few years ago it was worthwhile to hit the trails to do even just an hour or two of trail work because i know i could be on seymour in just 15 min. now sometimes i have to nix that idea because traffic dictates i may need an extra 30 min each way of travel time.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 23, 2015, 9:03 p.m.

It's a sad new reality, everyone living east of 2nd narrows can't get home between 3-6:30pm. Add 1/2 hour on Low Level, or 45 min if you're stuck on the Keith/Mountain Highway cluster.

Dec. 23, 2015, 9:30 p.m.

You know what sucks? Sometimes I hit all 3 red lights on my commute to work. Really sucks. Or sometimes there's a camper in the fast lane and I have to pass him on the right.
Seriously you're in a camper why are you in the fast lane you ain't fucking turning anywhere.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Dec. 23, 2015, 9:58 p.m.

The Shore has been mayhem all week, actually months… Growing up in the Cove, it hurts to see those just trying to get home to Seymour/ Deepcove but stuck in all the bullshit West of the Second Narrows. Why an alternate route was never put in is a crime. Although that would be clogged by the bridge traffic also.

There are 2 routes east from the 2nd Narrows …. Seymour and Dollarton. No matter how many routes they build onto and off the 2nd Narrows, the bridge will always be a bottleneck.

Really starting to see the higher density impact . Plus the traffic coming on in the morning and off on the evening is more than what was traditionally the rush hour traffic - that is crazy

Province did a study of the traffic … apparently a lot of the all-day traffic jams is due to the increasing number of people commuting to work on the North Shore.

… many of the homes on the North Shore were built decades ago.

The past five years have seen a boom in owners wanting to renew these homes, triggering a wave of subtrades, who can't afford to live on the North Shore but brave the commute from Burnaby, Coquitlam, Surrey and Langley.

"We are probably about five years in to an accelerated rebuild, right across the North Shore, which we expected to peak in the next 10 years … Now I am not blaming folks coming from Surrey and Langley, who are coming here and providing good value and working hard, but the issue is that it has created the reverse commute," Walton said.

Building and demolition permits grew by 3.9 percent per annum over the last five years. Jobs filled by workers south of Burrard Inlet increased from 17,000 to 19,600.

There is gridlock before 7:00 am most workdays northbound through the Cassiar Tunnel. That certainly isn't due to housing density on the North Shore. A lot of it, apparently, contractors working on all the developments and renos on the North Shore, but that doesn't even include stuff like this

http://www.vancouversun.com/Seaspan+launches+200M+upgrade+North+Vancouver+shipyard/7416610/story.html

https://www.biv.com/article/2015/10/seaspan-build-new-7800-square-metre-headquarters-n/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/coast-guard-orders-10-ships-for-33-billion-from-north-vancouvers-seaspan/article14722840/

https://careerlinkbc.wordpress.com/2014/03/05/seaspan-set-to-hire-new-tradespeople-by-fall-2014/

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Seaspan+gears+billion+shipbuilding+contract+despite+federal+watchdog+misgivings/8032182/story.html

Dec. 23, 2015, 11:30 p.m.

It sucks when I get a bit wet on my 10 minute walk home. It's worth it just to be able to smirk at all the stressed out muppets blasting their horns at each other and not getting anywhere.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Dec. 24, 2015, 8:07 a.m.

I haven't read this MMM fellow/fellow-ette, so am only commenting on what's been said here.

Does this person discuss the opportunity-costs involved with performing the work outlined above?

Yes he does.

His entire MO is living frugal.

His family is able to live off something like $26,000 annually, 2 adults and a kid.

He outlines his exact situation, they just downsized homes because he thought 2000ft for 3 people was ridiculous.

His opportunity cost calculations are also specific to him, mid 30's and retired, not a huge need to worry about losing income by saving money.

He posts his finances annually, this years should be up in a few days. His blog does provide a nice income, but it wouldn't even matter with his families level of spending, its more than offset by his investment income.

In fact since retirement, not only has he not touched his principal, he's only continued to grow it.

He might seem smug to some, but its like Buckleys medicine, tastes like shit, but it works.