Vancouver is going to Hell....where is the Outrage!

Dec. 22, 2015, 10:40 a.m.

I agree with Heckler. Been doing my LV -[HTML_REMOVED] UBC route to work by bike now for 15 years and it is only getting safer with all the new bike routes.

The vast majority of traffic snarling up our roads are single occupant vehicles with no valid excuse to be using said vehicle.

This absolutely. I'm a happier [HTML_REMOVED] healthier person since I started commuting by bike and run most my errands by bike/transit as well.

I do recognize that we need to improve the flow of traffic to allow for goods/services to move around (economy) -- I.E. Cars are neccesary for many trips -- and I think bike infrastructure and massively expanded transit combined with aggressive peak hour road tolls are the only answer in Vancouver where there simply isn't an option to just build more roads.

I'm happy to plan my car trips around peak hours, or when I need it to pay for reduced traffic. I don't see any other solution (including rage) for the ever increasing gridlock?

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Dec. 22, 2015, 10:55 a.m.

So, you're actually part of the problem! North Burnaby to Lions gate bridge on a bike is about 45 minutes every time, and includes an workout instead of the gym. What's your excuse?

We moved out of Lynn Valey in 2003 because of the traffic to the bridge. Now we rarely deal with it, either biking through it, which is a hoot, or driving outside of main rush hour times.

Agree! If you are stuck in traffic, you are the problem. About densification, I'd rather we humans live in densely packed, confined spaces and keep land aside for habitat preservation, agriculture, parkland, water reserves etc. If you don't want densification on the North Shore, then your only choices are building sprawl up the mountainsides or a moratorium on development and densification.

If you don't want sprawl and want more housing, then replacing single-family dwellings and townhomes and living Hong Kong-style is the solution. It would make mass transit solutions a no-brainer. Hong Kong is 7.3 million people on 1000 sq km (about 1/3 the size of Metro Van). BUT, they live on 25% of the land base. 40% of Hong Kong is protected habitat, and a further 35% is rural parkland.

Dec. 22, 2015, 11:06 a.m.

Here are a few solutions

• Companies with desk jobs should to allow their staff to work from home at least 50% of the time
  • Choose to live either close to where you play or where you work
  • Have satellite offices for larger companies in different communities so people can work 80% of the time closer to home
  • Require office towers to provide bike storage, showers and lockers for bike commuters
Dec. 22, 2015, 11:17 a.m.

I have spent [HTML_REMOVED]30 yrs in Vancover but always drove so never really did the transit thing but we flew down a couple of months ago stayed on english bay, did the walk/train/bus thing everywhere and it was cheaper/faster/less stressful … I really liked it

but not enough to live there again

Dec. 22, 2015, 12:28 p.m.

I commute latley on marine drive North Van. Plenty of commuter cyclist like me even on rainy cold days!
Awesome!
The buses get me everywhere. Its great!
The buses all have bike racks too.
I feel sorry for you and your car stuck in traffic for a long long long time.
its going to get worse.
Were you the only one in the car?
Do you take the bus ever?
Walk?
And your upset that driving from point a to point b is taking longer.
I know it will take longer .so i bring a book while I'm on the bus.

common sense…..Whats common about sense?!

Dec. 22, 2015, 1 p.m.

A Skytrain bridge over the 2nd narrows would certainly help, but personally I believe the days of sitting behind the wheel are numbered so building for more drivers is a waste of resources. Automated cars will alleviate a lot of traffic problems soon enough and as the boomers leave their management positions more people will be allowed to work from home. With any luck the robots will take over all the work and we can just stay home and do what we want.

Dec. 22, 2015, 1:01 p.m.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/10/06/the-true-cost-of-commuting/

More people need to actually understand the math in this.

Am I the only one that would love to punch this guy in his smug money mustache face?

Dec. 22, 2015, 1:15 p.m.

Am I the only one that would love to punch this guy in his smug money mustache face?

You failing at most of the things he preaches?

Commuting from the burbs in your financed car to a job you probably don't like but it sorta affords an overstretched financed lifestyle?

Dec. 22, 2015, 1:32 p.m.

It already takes Lynn Vally an hour to get on a backed up highway…guess what, more condos and even a few high rises coming to you Lynn Vally.

Love this. Earned me 35min o/t last night. Should repeat the next eight times I do that work.
:grinno:

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Dec. 22, 2015, 1:37 p.m.

I commute latley on marine drive North Van. Plenty of commuter cyclist like me even on rainy cold days!
Awesome!
The buses get me everywhere. Its great!
The buses all have bike racks too.
I feel sorry for you and your car stuck in traffic for a long long long time.
its going to get worse.
Were you the only one in the car?
Do you take the bus ever?
Walk?
And your upset that driving from point a to point b is taking longer.
I know it will take longer .so i bring a book while I'm on the bus.

If you were busing last night, you would have been stuck for just as long as everyone else.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Dec. 22, 2015, 2:46 p.m.

If live in Burnaby and you work in construction why are you bidding on jobs in West Van / Bowen / Spanish Banks???

How rad would you day be if you kept to jobs to a 2km radius from you place.

I am positive there is some other construction guy grumbling about his commute from somewhere else into your hood.

By the time you factor in the commuting costs are you really making much extra working on the bling homes of West Van?

Because most people working in trades work all over the lower mainland and work for companies so they have no say in where the jobs are being bid?

Dec. 22, 2015, 2:51 p.m.

You failing at most of the things he preaches?

Commuting from the burbs in your financed car to a job you probably don't like but it sorta affords an overstretched financed lifestyle?

no but i would still like to punch him in his smug MM face

Dec. 22, 2015, 3:01 p.m.

massey tunnel on a friday evening

Dec. 22, 2015, 4:05 p.m.

My 9 minute commute is getting excessive, I should move closer to work where there's cheaper rent.

Said no Vancouverite ever.

Dec. 22, 2015, 4:22 p.m.

I'd like to see more ingenuity in little aspects of the high density housing push. Ie: sw marine and cambie, the new towers could've easily had a pedestrian overpass connecting one tower to the sky train station.

We/they seriously need to implement a circulatory traffic system. Or more of one.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs