VAN LIFE

Nov. 21, 2020, 9:16 p.m.

Wondering how many on here live "Van Life?"

The number of vans and winne's parked around point grey seem to be multiplying. The ones I see parked up there remind me more of something resembling "gypsy life"  than "van life"....

Having a mobile home always seemed like a pretty cool idea for road trips but then I wonder, how freaking hot are they at night in the summer? Don't they stink with all your sweaty gear stored right under the bed? Knowing myself, my van would probably end up looking more "gypsy", than "van life"

Nov. 21, 2020, 10:06 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

vans and winne's parked around point grey seem to be multiplying. The ones I see parked up there remind me more of something resembling "gypsy life"  than "van life"....

Raymur Ave./Glen Dr./Natal St./Cornet Rd./ Skeena St./E 11th Ave. 

And don't forget Kits beach's newest renoviction!.....

how freaking hot are they at night in the summer? 

a/c, you know, those boxy things mounted on teh roof?

Nov. 22, 2020, 6:48 p.m.

Plenty in North Van too.  Down near the automall and all around that industrial area.

Nov. 22, 2020, 7:10 p.m.

The number of vans and winne's parked around point grey seem to be multiplying. The ones I see parked up there remind me more of something resembling "gypsy life"  than "van life"....

Having a mobile home always seemed like a pretty cool idea for road trips but then I wonder, how freaking hot are they at night in the summer? Don't they stink with all your sweaty gear stored right under the bed? Knowing myself, my van would probably end up looking more "gypsy", than "van life"

Most of those RVs you see parked around the cities are sadly not people who have necessarily chosen to live that way. The Lower Mainland is an expensive place to live, and more and more people are falling through the cracks.

Nov. 22, 2020, 8:17 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

Most of those RVs you see parked around the cities are sadly not people who have necessarily chosen to live that way. The Lower Mainland is an expensive place to live, and more and more people are falling through the cracks.

A lot of those people are also out of province construction workers that are here building towers

Nov. 22, 2020, 9:15 p.m.

A lot? Some of those construction types sure like living rough if that's the case.....

There was an old bearded hippe guy living adjacent to the keepers house at Garden Park complete w/wake board and floral arrangement adorning his small motorhome for over a year, maybe two.

Nov. 23, 2020, 7:12 a.m.

I think it's because high really state prices make it almost impossible for folks to buy a house nowadays. (or any type home for that matter) Houses are over valued due to offshore speculation & investment. A freind of mine lives on a boat in Richmond & only pays $400 a month moorage. That is pretty cheap rent. I don't blame someone for living out of an RV. It would be a great way to save money.

Nov. 23, 2020, 7:17 a.m.

Have you seen the condition of some of these " RV’S “. If they were boats they would have been removed long ago.😆

Nov. 23, 2020, 8:23 a.m.

I saw a documentary a while ago about the effects of the real estate boom in Vancouver. Basically low rent housing gets replaced by expensive condo developments. The tenants get evicted or can't afford the replacement they are offered. It's almost impossible to find a new place for the same rent so they end up in a dump, in an RV or on the street. Part of the documentary was filmed in North Van in that area by the auto mall that used to have a lot of those RVs all the time (they changed the parking rules since). We often go for a walk along the Spirit Trail in that direction and I have to admit I used to be a little annoyed by all those crappy RVs parked there but since seeing the documentary I realize most of those people are just trying to survive in a city that doesn't care about them.

It made me think about our own rent situation. We've been in our place for 8 years now and our landlord hasn't raised the rent since we moved in. We've seen similar units in our building advertised for almost double the rent. If our landlord would decide to sell the place or whatever and we had to move out, it would probably be very difficult to find something similar for a similar rent. Luckily we are in a position that we can afford a more expensive place if we have to but a lot of people have no margin for error. Living in a crappy RV is better than nothing.

Having said that, we do like the idea of a campervan for road trips. We revisit the idea every few years but always end up deciding against it because we like to travel overseas as well and for road trips in North America we continue to throw our camping gear in the back of our old Subaru.

Nov. 23, 2020, 8:38 a.m.

As long as they don't make a mess, I say give them somewhere to park and put in some bathroom facilities.

Nov. 23, 2020, 8:44 a.m.

This is an ongoing topic here in Squamish.  It is not easy to know what to think about it because people living in vans are people, so a certain portion ruin it for the rest and then the responsible people have an uphill battle for support.  If think it would be a pretty cool way to live for a short stretch of time, but a lot of communities are not too welcoming so you will want to mainly live in bush somewhere.  There is a lot of unofficial parking near my place and I am close to downtown Squamish and the Spit so we see quite a few vans and Winnies in the summer.  Most are unnoticeable, but a few wear out their welcome pretty fast.

Nov. 23, 2020, 9:59 p.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

. A freind of mine lives on a boat in Richmond & only pays $400 a month moorage. That is pretty cheap rent. 

Little of that in FC and what there is is pricey. Is why people anchor out and end up like above, but that one simply looks like it were abandoned.

Nov. 24, 2020, 9:24 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

. A freind of mine lives on a boat in Richmond & only pays $400 a month moorage. That is pretty cheap rent. 

Little of that in FC and what there is is pricey. Is why people anchor out and end up like above, but that one simply looks like it were abandoned.

Most of the ones that end up on the beach are derelicts.  They are all over the coast but those old timey maritime laws make them hard to deal with because we all have the right to anchor any piece of shit we want.

Nov. 24, 2020, 10:49 a.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Posted by: tungsten

Most of the ones that end up on the beach are derelicts.  They are all over the coast but those old timey maritime laws make them hard to deal with because we all have the right to anchor any piece of shit we want.

[XXX'er] I remember when I worked at a place on GI there was a boat that was moored illegally and the person would tie up their little rowboat at out dock when they came ashore. We left notes/signs a bunch of times about not being allowed to use our dock but they just ignored it. Eventually the boss got tired and took a cordless drill out to the dock and punched a bunch of holes in the bottom of the row boat and then pushed it out into the bay. The other boat left less than a week after that. [/XXX'er]

Nov. 24, 2020, 1:16 p.m.

What dock? Your ex boss is a dick of extreme proportions. No call to the VPD Marine Squad move this human being along? Vandalize his ability to access his home? That's like someone don't like where you lock your bike so they hacksaw the frame. 

Those liveaboards in FC need to get organized w/bats and whatnot to beat the shit out of people like your ex boss. Fucking asshole.