Vail buys Whistler

Aug. 20, 2016, 10 a.m.

Spoken like a true 'core cat - kudos!

I've noticed - years ago - there's 2 ways to go here… Stay fit, live the lifestyle and be the lifestyle, and work it to your advantage, or; party, eat shit, get fat, and "pretend" that you're all that and then some through "geographical association" (ie: the concept that one must have an "element of hardcore'ness" to them due to their simply living here) wearing oversized bike jerseys/ski wear to cover their moobs and gunts and various other not-so-correlated body parts, discussing their "rad lines" and "sick drops" (either season) while chugging beers and eating doritos.

The corollary to this is the bintzes and 'tards that come up here decked out in their west-side purchased uber-hyper-technical gear with GPS mapping apps and heart-rate monitors that wear such drivel while standing around the local starbucks sucking on the [intentionally] most expensive frappa-miata-cino-mocha-dairy-free-coconut-infused-latte-belgian-chocolate-fat-free-gluten-free-non-GMO-americana-dark-roast beverage off the menu…and it also has to be the one that takes the most time to prepare, as this allows for more "stand around and look at my high-tech athletic wear" time.

I'm not bitter. Just honest.

Just gotta find the balance.
I work 2 jobs, turn 35 next, sometimes ill go underground and chase hoes 3 nights in a week, other weeks when the snow is good/dirt is good i wont go out for more than 2 beers for a week. Still ride 4-5 days a week in summer, less in winter due to work commitments mainly.

I do totally agree with your second point. The amount of people at the backcountry gate in brand new arcteryx kits who can barely put skins on and think a lap of corona is a big day out is laughable. Im sure some of the local enduro races are hilarious too. I remember seeing a bunch of dudes on s-works enduro level bikes, on the 7 summits, rocking goggles for the descent on 35 degree day.

Aug. 20, 2016, 10:56 a.m.

Just gotta find the balance.
I work 2 jobs, turn 35 next, sometimes ill go underground and chase hoes 3 nights in a week, other weeks when the snow is good/dirt is good i wont go out for more than 2 beers for a week. Still ride 4-5 days a week in summer, less in winter due to work commitments mainly.

I do totally agree with your second point. The amount of people at the backcountry gate in brand new arcteryx kits who can barely put skins on and think a lap of corona is a big day out is laughable. Im sure some of the local enduro races are hilarious too. I remember seeing a bunch of dudes on s-works enduro level bikes, on the 7 summits, rocking goggles for the descent on 35 degree day.

And this is 100% absolutely totally fine - as you state, "turning 35 next" - man, 10+ years ago I was in the same boat, just givin' er and lovin' it. But as to the former post, it's that 50+ year age category who've just not stepped up and aged well. I totally cleaned my act up mid 30s because I went hard and things started giving out on me, so, that was that one chapter closed, a new bunch of chapters open. Party hard while you can, and dole out the humpin' while the gettin's good. Keep it real, and keep it 'core. Just don't end up like those slobs at Tapley's in their 50s commiserating about the good old days, or end up being those ponces wearing the tech-gear thinking they're all that and then some as they wipe "dirty fresh snow" off their latest BMW SUV and Thule rack.

"I'm addicted to surfing."

Aug. 20, 2016, 4:23 p.m.

My touring buddies are in the 60+ category spending their early cpp checks on custom made skis

these are the good old days

Aug. 20, 2016, 8:32 p.m.

My touring buddies are in the 60+ category spending their early cpp checks on custom made skis

these are the good old days

Quality dudes with correct priorities. Thumbs up.

They buying Foon skis??

"I'm addicted to surfing."

Aug. 21, 2016, 8:02 a.m.

no Paranormal

Aug. 23, 2016, 3:20 p.m.

On the traffic side of things, I actually find it way easier to be a weekend warrior in the winter. Last season was amazing with all the weekend storm cycles, skied a ton of powder. We leave East Van around 6-6:15am, in line at Creekside or base 2 by 7:45ish coffee in hand. Get a bunch of mid-mountain laps, eat a snack waiting in line for alpine to crack, then lap alpine until 2-2:30ish when legs get tired or it's skied out. Back in the car and heading home before 3 and 2nd narrows bridge means traffic is rarely an issue. I do the 10 day edge card + early/late season add-on and get 20ish days for ~$55-60/day.

Summer is much worse. Way more volume (even though lift lines in the bike park are shorter than winter most of the time). I waited until 7pm to head back this past Sunday and there was still an hour line-up south of Squamish for some reason.

Aug. 23, 2016, 7:49 p.m.

Summer is much worse. Way more volume (even though lift lines in the bike park are shorter than winter most of the time). I waited until 7pm to head back this past Sunday and there was still an hour line-up south of Squamish for some reason.

People need to merge from two lanes into one around Browning Lake which causes a backup of traffic almost to Brackendale.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Aug. 23, 2016, 8:13 p.m.

You spelled, "people shouldn't be allowed to drive" wrong.

Throw a few white knucklers in white Corollas or some Alberta or Washington plates on the S2S and you're gonna have a bad time.

Keep right unless to pass people. And when you pass, FOR FUCKS SAKE PASS.

Aug. 24, 2016, 1:15 p.m.

People need to merge from two lanes into one around Browning Lake which causes a backup of traffic almost to Brackendale.

The part that's a bit confusing to me is why is it only the merge around Browning Lake that causes ridiculous volume back-ups? Something to do with the light at Britania as well, or just the fact you get all the Squamish traffic on-top of Whistler at that merge? Rarely see any volume problems at the end of other south-bound passing lanes.

Agree on white knucklers (going 80km/h in a 100) and left lane sitters, painful stuff and it causes people to be super aggro which is dangerous.

Aug. 24, 2016, 7:38 p.m.

I ran into the plug up on Sunday. Crawled from Squamish to Britannia Beach. The stop lights and the double to single lane changes are not good for even a bit of volume.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells