Vail buys Whistler

Aug. 18, 2016, 9:37 a.m.

We reached this conclusion a couple of seasons ago as weekenders. I haven't skiied or boarded at Whistler in probably 4 years, and we used to go at least 10x a season before that.
For two of us to go for a day is now in the $300 range. Combine that with the less than stellar snow (yes I know last season was pretty good), the crowds and the gong show that is the S2S highway and Whistler is done for us.

The last time I skied there was the last time for me pretty much. End of a 5 day storm cycle, a Wednesday, it was jammed like it was Boxing Day. I guess I was spoiled in years passed, just don't think its worth the hassle.
I have way more fun skinning up Hollyburn for a couple laps first thing. Also did a trip to Whitewater last Season. 5 Days of lifts/touring, no crowds, unreal snow conditions.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Aug. 18, 2016, 10:51 a.m.

local hill 60+ days a season can cost 12-20$ a day depending on if I drive or ski up

always pack a lunch

stay out of the bar

Aug. 18, 2016, 10:56 a.m.

Lineups boo paid turns yaaaa

Aug. 18, 2016, 11:15 a.m.

I can leave the house 1/2 before loading and be 1st on the T-bar

Aug. 18, 2016, 11:21 a.m.

local hill 60+ days a season can cost 12-20$ a day depending on if I drive or ski up

always pack a lunch

stay out of the bar

My ~$300 for two people for a day at Whistler estimate only includes lift tickets and a tank of gas. I suppose it could come down to ~$250 if we got edge cards and something a bit better on gas. It wouldnt make the lineups, crappy snow or highway any better though.

Aug. 18, 2016, 11:21 a.m.

I hear ya 'Mat . . . The problems will be when the weekenders start to wonder "why" they do it , and I suspect that day might be not far off .

I am not too sure about that. Obviously they need to improve the drive into Whistler and I don't know anything about that (double lane all the way from Function maybe??) but unless there is a better alternative for weekend mountain fun I can't see that flow of cars and cash from the city deciding not to go there because it took an extra 20 minutes to get their condo. They mostly come from the Lower Mainland, they can handle traffic.

Aug. 18, 2016, 12:30 p.m.

A lift pass amortises out to about 12-15$ a day

50kms up [HTML_REMOVED] down the hill

staying out of the bar [HTML_REMOVED] resturant saves a lot of money \

and better for the health

Aug. 18, 2016, 1:25 p.m.

I wish. Id have to go to Whistler 100+ times in a season to get it down to that much per day :P

Aug. 19, 2016, 12:43 p.m.

Stay out of the bar? Crazy talk

Pastor of Muppets

Aug. 19, 2016, 1 p.m.

Stay out of the bar? Crazy talk

Can you even take someone that says shit like that seriously?

Aug. 19, 2016, 1:42 p.m.

I still hit the bar from time to time but I try to minimize it cuz 3 pints and a cheese burger 30$ x 60 days is 1800$ a season

Also the ski hill bar is full of guys who havent aged well

Aug. 19, 2016, 3:14 p.m.

I still hit the bar from time to time but I try to minimize it cuz 3 pints and a cheese burger 30$ x 60 days is 1800$ a season

I just don't drink - period. And this has inherent benefits on many levels, but as it pertains to skiing here? I'm up early, feel like dynamite, get to the lifts just as the patrol are loading, and typically get my quota in before the slobs even make out of their hotel rooms. Oh, and always always always book Saturdays and Sundays off for "work".

Passed two guys today on the trail that were just sweating out last night's Tommys/Garfs goodness. Reeked. Met up with them through another part of the trail and one dude was givin' er in the barf department. Too funny.

Shoulda offered them a smoke if I had a pack with me :rave:

"I'm addicted to surfing."

Aug. 19, 2016, 4:25 p.m.

That hurt.

Pastor of Muppets

Aug. 19, 2016, 6:19 p.m.

I'm talkin about the 50+ guys whom are 50lbs overweight with the beer guts

also I've noticed during those 10 day cycles of beers and cheese burgers while helping or attending events [HTML_REMOVED] races they don't make me feel that good

a salami sandwich and thermos of tea in the skyline hut just works better and I don't have to sit around waiting for food so I get more runs in

Aug. 19, 2016, 7:45 p.m.

I'm talkin about the 50+ guys whom are 50lbs overweight with the beer guts

also I've noticed during those 10 day cycles of beers and cheese burgers while helping or attending events [HTML_REMOVED] races they don't make me feel that good

a salami sandwich and thermos of tea in the skyline hut just works better and I don't have to sit around waiting for food so I get more runs in

Spoken like a true 'core cat - kudos!

I've noticed - years ago - there's 2 ways to go here… Stay fit, live the lifestyle and be the lifestyle, and work it to your advantage, or; party, eat shit, get fat, and "pretend" that you're all that and then some through "geographical association" (ie: the concept that one must have an "element of hardcore'ness" to them due to their simply living here) wearing oversized bike jerseys/ski wear to cover their moobs and gunts and various other not-so-correlated body parts, discussing their "rad lines" and "sick drops" (either season) while chugging beers and eating doritos.

The corollary to this is the bintzes and 'tards that come up here decked out in their west-side purchased uber-hyper-technical gear with GPS mapping apps and heart-rate monitors that wear such drivel while standing around the local starbucks sucking on the [intentionally] most expensive frappa-miata-cino-mocha-dairy-free-coconut-infused-latte-belgian-chocolate-fat-free-gluten-free-non-GMO-americana-dark-roast beverage off the menu…and it also has to be the one that takes the most time to prepare, as this allows for more "stand around and look at my high-tech athletic wear" time.

I'm not bitter. Just honest.

"I'm addicted to surfing."