Vaccines for all of us... assuming all the people under 40 left this forum.

May 9, 2021, 7:55 a.m.

Now, after my rant last week, everything went pretty quick on Wednesday. We got the info from the news that our professionwould be elligible for vaccination from May 6 on. 

Got the first shot of two on Friday noon. Spend the whole day in bed, dozing off and sleeping. Today is Sunday, I am fine but really tired. Second shot middle of June.

Seem as if my annual and traditional summer road trip into the Alps and the December trip to Finale Ligure is on.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Last edited by: Mic on May 9, 2021, 7:57 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 10, 2021, 9:54 a.m.

Which one did you get?  Anecdotally it seems like the AZ one hits a bit harder than the others.

May 10, 2021, 10:59 a.m.

'specially if'n it kills you

May 18, 2021, 9:26 a.m.

I love vaccines. Throw them at me. Five weeks ago I got AstraZeneca and was feeling pretty stoked about it. Then I began to notice that when I told people I got AstraZeneca, their faces morphed into masks of pity. I consistently got the impression that people – mRNA people, mostly – view AstraZeneca as something ladled out of Donald Trump’s jacuzzi that was then shipped to India in a Ziploc bag stored beneath someone’s armpit, and once in India left to mellow at just over room temperature for three weeks before being sent to Canada and dumped into your arm.

This is Vancouver author Douglas Coupland's take on AZ.  I'm a bit of a fanboy and was happy to see him in the Globe, but he brings up a lot of great points too.

May 18, 2021, 4:19 p.m.

Posted by: Straw

I love vaccines. Throw them at me. Five weeks ago I got AstraZeneca and was feeling pretty stoked about it. Then I began to notice that when I told people I got AstraZeneca, their faces morphed into masks of pity. I consistently got the impression that people – mRNA people, mostly – view AstraZeneca as something ladled out of Donald Trump’s jacuzzi that was then shipped to India in a Ziploc bag stored beneath someone’s armpit, and once in India left to mellow at just over room temperature for three weeks before being sent to Canada and dumped into your arm.

This is Vancouver author Douglas Coupland's take on AZ.  I'm a bit of a fanboy and was happy to see him in the Globe, but he brings up a lot of great points too.

HAHA.  This is how I have felt as well, although it has been less about their thoughts about me getting the AZ vaccine and more their smug statements like "Oh, I see, that's Ok I guess but I got the Pfizer".    It's the Gen X curse!!

May 19, 2021, 12:18 a.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Which one did you get?  Anecdotally it seems like the AZ one hits a bit harder than the others.

Sorry for the delayed reply...I got Biontech, although I am very sure that the cause for my weariness and fatigue has probably been my challenge of 30 days and 30 rides which ended two days prior to the shot.

May 19, 2021, 8:44 a.m.

Posted by: Mic

Sorry for the delayed reply...I got Biontech, although I am very sure that the cause for my weariness and fatigue has probably been my challenge of 30 days and 30 rides which ended two days prior to the shot.

Is that the same as Pfizer?  Congrats on the 30 for 30.

May 19, 2021, 9:10 a.m.

Posted by: Mic

Is that the same as Pfizer?  Congrats on the 30 for 30.

Yes. BionTech developed the mRNA vaccine, Pfizer is the partner for producing and distributing.

May 19, 2021, 9:13 a.m.

BionTech is not standing still. Check into what they're doing to use mRNA vax as a treatment for MS. Very interesting.

May 19, 2021, 10:58 a.m.

A new age of medicine is upon us. Who's up for living until they are 200 (without requiring an e-bike to get up the hill)?

Last edited by: chupacabra on May 19, 2021, 10:58 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 19, 2021, 12:49 p.m.

the freaky thing is that vaccine was developed in minutes after they had the sequence of the virus. you can simply program it

Last edited by: Sethimus on May 19, 2021, 12:50 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 19, 2021, 12:53 p.m.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/apocalypse-then-vaccine-speed-1.6008611?fbclid=IwAR2KioHYha4oSbuh1x1BWRDIxTq6E2UoNkro4poa8JX9iuaaIvOkUoDS6MI

how they ^^ did it so fast

May 19, 2021, 1:20 p.m.

A new age of medicine is upon us. Who's up for living until they are 200 (without requiring an e-bike to get up the hill)?

You may think you're joking, but that's closer to reality than most people think. Advances in genomics lately have been amazing.

May 19, 2021, 1:43 p.m.

Posted by: KenN

You may think you're joking, but that's closer to reality than most people think. Advances in genomics lately have been amazing.

I am only kinda joking.  I have been following the scientific advancements in longevity and the next 30 years are going to usher in some amazing technologies that most people probably think are impossible.  There is a lot of money pouring into this science and when you consider what AI is going to add to the speed of research there is a good chance even old timers like us will have a chance to tack on some extra decades.  

Dr. Aubrey de Grey: "I think that the chances of people alive today living to 150, or some people alive today living to 150, are very high. I would say at least 80 percent. And I think there's at least a 50 percent chance that some people aged 40 or 50 today will live to 150."

May 19, 2021, 2:06 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS42QeD_gGA

This ^^^ is the stuff I'm following closely, and also why I'm focusing my investment $$ on the genomics sector.