Vaccines for all of us... assuming all the people under 40 left this forum.

April 28, 2021, 1:43 p.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

Police should put up roadblocks on the S2S and turn around/fine anyone travelling non-essentially on this anti-mask dipshit convention weekend.

Ya fuck our God given freedom to travel. Give them even more power!

Let me guess.. only for 2 weeks?

April 28, 2021, 1:46 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Police should put up roadblocks on the S2S and turn around/fine anyone travelling non-essentially on this anti-mask dipshit convention weekend.

It's too bad it's not earlier in the year.  They could just set up a snow tire check and 99.9% of Vancouverites would have to be turned back.

Lol they can still can. M+s tires are required until may 1st.

April 28, 2021, 1:59 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Posted by: tungsten

They’re all super effective vaccines, so take the first one you can get.

Nope. Woman we know was gonna' get spiked with the AZ said "wait a minute I kidney disease" they gave her the Phizer.

I may ask. If they won't tell me....

What’s the kidney disease/AZ concern?

Efficacy, apparently.

There really isn't any hard data to support that tho, just theory based on other established vaccines.  Right now the efficacy is believed to be the same for all vaccines whether you have kidney disease or not. Pfizer and Modera are rated at about 95% and AZ at about 70%. For most people it's true to take what you can get. For immuno-compromised patients if the option for Pfizer or Moderna is available it makes sense to give them one of those, but it's not like the Pfizer has terribly low efficacy compared to the others.

"As patients with kidney disease commonly have compromised immune systems, live replicating microbial-vectored vaccines should be avoided. However, replication-defective viral-vectored vaccines such as ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 (Oxford-AstraZeneca) and the mRNA vaccines BNT162b2 (Pfizer-BioNTech) and mRNA-1273 (Moderna) are safe to use. The potency of approved COVID-19 vaccines in patients who are immune compromised is currently unknown, but data for established vaccines, such as those for influenza, suggest that vaccine potency in such individuals can vary substantially in terms of the titres of neutralizing antibodies that are induced and the duration of specific immunity. In phase 3 trials, BNT162b2, mRNA-1273 and ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 prevented COVID-19 in 95%, 94.1% and 70.4% of participants2,3,4, respectively, suggesting that the mRNA vaccines might induce protective immunity more reliably than ChAdOx1 nCoV-19. Use of these vaccines might therefore be preferable for patients who are immune compromised."

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41581-021-00406-6

April 29, 2021, 4:38 p.m.

You just quoted a 25% efficacy advantage of Ph over AZ. To peeps on the street w/kidney disease that's meaningful. Believe me, I know, I'm livin' with one.

Oh yeah, I got spiked yesterday. Had to go all the way to NV when I made my appointment on the 20th. Wifey became elgible today and immediately got a spot at the ICC on the 3rd.

Last edited by: tungsten on April 29, 2021, 4:45 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
April 29, 2021, 4:50 p.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

Let me guess.. only for 2 weeks?

Why do sane people have to consistently listen to snowflake conservatives whine about things that they just don't understand?  Like seriously for a year, parrot idiots have been saying "we're ____ weeks into 2 weeks to flatten the curve". Just because you didn't understand what flatten the curve means we all have to listen to this, lol?  It would take less than 5 minutes to just learn rather than continue to be outraged haha

April 29, 2021, 4:53 p.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

Question for you never Trumper's.

You guys hated him and still do.

Technically, this is his vaccine.

.. so why?

lol - you're seriously deranged.

April 29, 2021, 4:56 p.m.

hey guys - not sure if it has been brought up in this thread, but if you have not got dose 1 yet, try the hashtag vhcbc (vaccine hunters canada BC) , as recently as yesterday they were posting a bunch of places where one could get appointments - good luck to you all, this rollout and messaging around it has been the shits

May 1, 2021, 3:01 p.m.

So how is the whole business of vaccination organized in BC? 

I have the feeling of living in a weird kind of parallel universe over here, more dumbfounded by the day....all I can do is try to stay sane and not get bitter.

May 1, 2021, 3:38 p.m.

Posted by: Mic

I have the feeling of living in a weird kind of parallel universe over here, more dumbfounded by the day....all I can do is try to stay sane and not get bitter.

Two tracks.

1 - Provincial Government with a centrally managed registration site that seems frustratingly slow.

2 - Pharmacies with “additional” AZ that were independently managed and somewhat of a free for all (if you were in right age bracket and could figure out who had some jabs to give)

Both have led to a bunch of chaos and frustration as demand (currently) outstrips supply. Never mind knowing that people that can fly south can just walk into drug stores to get jabbed with no fuss, no muss.

What’s the scoop in Germany?

Last edited by: Couch_Surfer on May 1, 2021, 3:40 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
May 1, 2021, 4:32 p.m.

Two tracks.

1 - Provincial Government with a centrally managed registration site that seems frustratingly slow.

2 - Pharmacies with “additional” AZ that were independently managed and somewhat of a free for all (if you were in right age bracket and could figure out who had some jabs to give)

Both have led to a bunch of chaos and frustration as demand (currently) outstrips supply. Never mind knowing that people that can fly south can just walk into drug stores to get jabbed with no fuss, no muss.

I'm just gonna wait for the supposed text from the government to get mine. No way am I wasting a day lining up with hundreds of people. 

Also heard stories about lots of fake social media reports of pop up clinics in different places resulting in crowds of hundreds of confused people showing up at said random places.

May 1, 2021, 7:02 p.m.

My brother and sister in Ontario had luck calling a small pharmacy who didn't do online bookings, seeing if they had product and availability, and an appointment for two days later was made. AZ.

Perhaps looking for small pharmacies here would work as well.

May 1, 2021, 11 p.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer,

Two tracks.

I phoned to register, they text me to book, book for a week later, show up 5 min before my appointment, got Pfizered, wait 15 min & go home everything happened as it should more or less on time IME

what didnt work well for me was the booking online stuff but it has for others i talk to,

but calling the ph # got me an operator in < 7 rings

i really can't complain

May 2, 2021, 8:44 a.m.

I'm over 40 so when AZ was available I registered at about 7 pharmacies in North Van. Nothing. Most of my friends ended up calling small pharmacies within the day of the announcement and got in. 

I work in the Aldergrove 2 days/week and my boss there told me later that week, he got an appointment at a local Shoppers so I stopped by on my way home...asked if they were taking walk-ins, they said yes! I waited 10min, got my shot, 15min wait then was on my way! Total of 30min! Couldn't believe it!

May 3, 2021, 1:25 a.m.

Two tracks.

Well, in a nutshell I would say zee Germans are world champions in bureaucracy and rules and regulations - and it shows. Primary school teachers and people working in kindergardens get vaccines, as do all people above 60 years or who are considered high risk, but staff at secondary schools, not yet.

Adding to that is that the whole organization is done by the individual counties and communities/municipalities. 20 km away from where I work, secondary school teachers get appointments for vaccines, in my area - not so much. Here, you are only allowed to get a shot when you can prove that one of your family members is at risk. Getting a shot at a pharmacy? No effin chance. Making it easier for the population. No chance. Vaccines for young adults? Must be kidding.

People who work in testing stations as volunteers are shown the How, I am supposed to observe and hand out the self-testing kits to students. I had to watch a YouTube Video - and yes, it is not difficult, but that is not the issue.  

Cities who designed plans of how to improve testing and lessons and the switching of groups were told to cease immediately because, i quote, it was not their job...it is the job of the Ministry of Education. And the list goes on and on.

Nothing has happened or changed in schools in the province I live in - apart from "Wear your masks and open the windows!", and I have heard that other provinces fare not much better. I am talking about a year of inactivity. I have students who are so poor that their parents can not afford a tablet or netbook or computer, they have to work with a mobile phone. WiFi constantly breaks down in school. We have been told last spring that each student and teacher gets a computer. Question is, when?

Politically it is a train wreck of epic proportions when it comes to education and child care.

I have to have private health insurance, since I am a civil servant - and my doctor told me on the phone last week that she has no idea when she will get any vaccine, she literally said, call again in 4 weeks.

It is really difficult to not get bitter.

Last edited by: Mic on May 3, 2021, 1:28 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
May 4, 2021, 12:10 p.m.

Two tracks.

Well, in a nutshell I would say zee Germans are world champions in bureaucracy and rules and regulations - and it shows. Primary school teachers and people working in kindergardens get vaccines, as do all people above 60 years or who are considered high risk, but staff at secondary schools, not yet.

Adding to that is that the whole organization is done by the individual counties and communities/municipalities. 20 km away from where I work, secondary school teachers get appointments for vaccines, in my area - not so much. Here, you are only allowed to get a shot when you can prove that one of your family members is at risk. Getting a shot at a pharmacy? No effin chance. Making it easier for the population. No chance. Vaccines for young adults? Must be kidding.

People who work in testing stations as volunteers are shown the How, I am supposed to observe and hand out the self-testing kits to students. I had to watch a YouTube Video - and yes, it is not difficult, but that is not the issue.  

Cities who designed plans of how to improve testing and lessons and the switching of groups were told to cease immediately because, i quote, it was not their job...it is the job of the Ministry of Education. And the list goes on and on.

Nothing has happened or changed in schools in the province I live in - apart from "Wear your masks and open the windows!", and I have heard that other provinces fare not much better. I am talking about a year of inactivity. I have students who are so poor that their parents can not afford a tablet or netbook or computer, they have to work with a mobile phone. WiFi constantly breaks down in school. We have been told last spring that each student and teacher gets a computer. Question is, when?

Politically it is a train wreck of epic proportions when it comes to education and child care.

I have to have private health insurance, since I am a civil servant - and my doctor told me on the phone last week that she has no idea when she will get any vaccine, she literally said, call again in 4 weeks.

It is really difficult to not get bitter.

my cousin is 2 years younger than me, private patient and knows the doc. got his first shot on monday… 

biz as usual in germany. those who know some get it faster :/