Vaccines for all of us... assuming all the people under 40 left this forum.

May 19, 2021, 2:12 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Posted by: KenN

A new age of medicine is upon us. Who's up for living until they are 200 (without requiring an e-bike to get up the hill)?

You may think you're joking, but that's closer to reality than most people think. Advances in genomics lately have been amazing.

I am only kinda joking.  I have been following the scientific advancements in longevity and the next 30 years are going to usher in some amazing technologies that most people probably think are impossible.  There is a lot of money pouring into this science and when you consider what AI is going to add to the speed of research there is a good chance even old timers like us will have a chance to tack on some extra decades.  

Dr. Aubrey de Grey: "I think that the chances of people alive today living to 150, or some people alive today living to 150, are very high. I would say at least 80 percent. And I think there's at least a 50 percent chance that some people aged 40 or 50 today will live to 150."

All those future earth dystopian movies we watched as kids will be coming home to roost. 

First, considering the planet is already too crowded and we are using up a finite amount of resources at a staggering rate I'd say the idea of people living twice as long is another nail in the coffin for humanity.
Second is the money factor. Until society sorts out it's wealth fascination and moves towards a more balanced type of living, imo we are going to continue creeping closer to an Elysium type of situation.

May 19, 2021, 3:22 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

A new age of medicine is upon us. Who's up for living until they are 200 (without requiring an e-bike to get up the hill)?

You may think you're joking, but that's closer to reality than most people think. Advances in genomics lately have been amazing.

I am only kinda joking.  I have been following the scientific advancements in longevity and the next 30 years are going to usher in some amazing technologies that most people probably think are impossible.  There is a lot of money pouring into this science and when you consider what AI is going to add to the speed of research there is a good chance even old timers like us will have a chance to tack on some extra decades.  

Dr. Aubrey de Grey: "I think that the chances of people alive today living to 150, or some people alive today living to 150, are very high. I would say at least 80 percent. And I think there's at least a 50 percent chance that some people aged 40 or 50 today will live to 150."

All those future earth dystopian movies we watched as kids will be coming home to roost. 

First, considering the planet is already too crowded and we are using up a finite amount of resources at a staggering rate I'd say the idea of people living twice as long is another nail in the coffin for humanity.
Second is the money factor. Until society sorts out it's wealth fascination and moves towards a more balanced type of living, imo we are going to continue creeping closer to an Elysium type of situation.

I think that global warming is the imminent threat.  Reducing our consumption and transferring into a sustainable form of living is the only way out of catastrophe, so extending people's lives doesn't concern me at all.  If I managed to live to be 150 and make it to the year 2122 then we must have figured out some way to make it work.  We will have to have fusion power, sustainable vertical farming practices and a decreasing global population.  Population growth/decrease is about how many kids people have not about how old they live.

May 19, 2021, 3:25 p.m.

I am only kinda joking. I have been following the scientific advancements in longevity and the next 30 years are going to usher in some amazing technologies that most people probably think are impossible. There is a lot of money pouring into this science and when you consider what AI is going to add to the speed of research there is a good chance even old timers like us will have a chance to tack on some extra decades.

i have no plans of producing any offspring so i should have the right to live and consume as long as i fucking want. those selfish enough to reproduce, not so much…

Last edited by: Sethimus on May 19, 2021, 3:26 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 19, 2021, 3:40 p.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

i have no plans of producing any offspring so i should have the right to live and consume as long as i fucking want. those selfish enough to reproduce, not so much…

Not sure if it's the sentiment or simply the way you expressed it, but this attitude strikes me as part of the problem. I think until we take the focus off of our own personal needs/wants/desires and put the needs of the all life on earth first, we'll just continue to grind this paradise into dust.

Last edited by: syncro on May 19, 2021, 3:41 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 19, 2021, 4:16 p.m.

You just can't make this shit up...

Umatilla County Public Health Director Joe Fiumara Jr. appeared somewhat at a loss to explain the vaccine hesitancy among the county's nearly 78,000 residents. The reasons for the hesitancy vary, according to Fiumara, but mainly stem from distrust of the government on both ends of the political spectrum -- from conservative Republicans (more than 60 percent of county residents voted Republican) to migrant workers who might be undocumented. 

Fiumara recalled a county health investigator recently asking a resident who had been infected with Covid-19 whether they had been vaccinated. "And the response was they had not received the vaccination because doing so would have made them a Democrat," he said. "I'm really hoping that was said mostly in jest. But the main investigator really didn't think that it was."

From here: https://www.kezi.com/content/national/574355982.html

May 19, 2021, 4:22 p.m.

If everyone consumes as much as they want just like you... humanity has about 100 years left max.  If everyone decides to not have any kids just like you... humanity has about 100 years left max.

Either way it doesn't work.

May 19, 2021, 4:24 p.m.

Not sure if it's the sentiment or simply the way you expressed it, but this attitude strikes me as part of the problem. I think until we take the focus off of our own personal needs/wants/desires and put the needs of the all life on earth first, we'll just continue to grind this paradise into dust.

uhm, i do that, by not producing even more consumers. having children is extremly selfish, especially having several of them. if you want children, take care of them first who don’t have parents.

Last edited by: Sethimus on May 19, 2021, 4:26 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 19, 2021, 4:35 p.m.

uhm, i do that, by not producing even more consumers. having children is extremly selfish, especially having several of them. if you want children, take care of them first who don’t have parents.

Yeah, but this idea that just because you're not having kids give you the right to consume and pollute as much as you want is incredibly hypocritical and could be worse in terms of net effect than someone that has kids but lives a much more conservative consumptive lifestyle. I get what you're trying to say, it's just the way you've said it sounds pretty selfish and ignorant.

Last edited by: syncro on May 19, 2021, 5:21 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: sp
May 19, 2021, 5:20 p.m.

but by not having kids i can consume the amount another person‘s kids would consume if i would get the chance to live longer. that would imply that the child producer must die off early in a socially accepted way of course. if we all live longer and decide to have kids too that would not work, i give you that.

May 19, 2021, 5:23 p.m.

but by not having kids i can consume the amount another person‘s kids would consume if i would get the chance to live longer. that would imply that the child producer must die off early in a socially accepted way of course. if we all live longer and decide to have kids too that would not work, i give you that. i just don’t see the need for myself to reduce my consumption over the amount another persons family in total consumes, why should they be given a bigger amount just by reproducing?

May 19, 2021, 5:27 p.m.

but by not having kids i can consume the amount another person‘s kids would consume 

Why is the idea of being able to consume as much as one wants even on the table? That's such flawed thinking imo. What happened to the idea of use what you need without creating excess waste? For someone that generally seems to be ecologically considerate this idea you're pushing seems really bizzare. It's rampant consumerism.

May 19, 2021, 6:14 p.m.

ability to consume is subject to how much money you got

May 19, 2021, 9:05 p.m.

How much money you got is inversely subject to your ability to consume...

May 19, 2021, 11:46 p.m.

but by not having kids i can consume the amount another person‘s kids would consume

Why is the idea of being able to consume as much as one wants even on the table? That's such flawed thinking imo. What happened to the idea of use what you need without creating excess waste? For someone that generally seems to be ecologically considerate this idea you're pushing seems really bizzare. It's rampant consumerism.

sry you dont get me. with amount i think of emitting a certain amount of co2 up to the point were we would have run way climate change. i‘m a fierce supporter of high co2 costs per tonne. my contribution to that is not having kids. but i want a better life for this contribution than someone who is so irresponsible and has a shit tonne of kids without consequences, drives a huge useless car (i don’t, never owned one), etc. now clearer?

also my morality is only an offering to the others and their offsprings (the ones who really would suffer). i personally have no moral responsibility to anyone as i will die off alone and won’t leave anyone behind. but i‘d like to leave a planet that is at least as useful as it was when i entered it.

Last edited by: Sethimus on May 19, 2021, 11:50 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 20, 2021, 1 a.m.

I think some things are getting lost in translation here. 

I don’t agree though with the idea that you have no moral responsibility to anyone just because you don’t have kids. We all have a moral responsibility to each other and future generations. We’re all on the same boat, we shouldn’t be poking holes in the hull.