USA: Inauguration 2009

Jan. 16, 2009, 12:06 p.m.

Well this weekend the US Inauguration Ceremonies will be taking place. What are your thoughts?

I'm thinking two things. One, this will turn over a new leaf for the US. They're in for 4 or 8 years of an improving society. I truly believe that the democrats led by Obama will improve the quality of life for Americans and improve the USA's reputation on the world stage. That's the optimist in me.

The pessimist in me is thinking that Obama will be assasinated. It only takes one idiot redneck extremist with a rifle, and there's no shortage of those in the US.

-m

Jan. 16, 2009, 12:08 p.m.

The pessimist in me is thinking that Obama will be assasinated. It only takes one idiot redneck extremist with a rifle, and there's no shortage of those in the US.

-m

I hate to agree with you but that's my biggest worry. Hopefully it wont come true.

Jan. 16, 2009, 12:13 p.m.

security will be very tight. they showed the breakdown of the inauguration costs and security is right up there near the top.

Jan. 16, 2009, 12:13 p.m.

I think it would be damn hard for some crazy meth addicted redneck to find a way to kill the president nowadays. Not saying it's impossible, but the secret service is seriously stepping its game up for Obama.

Jan. 16, 2009, 12:15 p.m.

How do you feel about your tax dollars paying for that increased security Ben? Personally I wouldn't mind one bit as the wounds of an assasinated president run deep (Kennedy).

-m

Jan. 16, 2009, 12:30 p.m.

How do you feel about your tax dollars paying for that increased security Ben? Personally I wouldn't mind one bit as the wounds of an assasinated president run deep (Kennedy).

-m

It is a waste of taxpayer's money. The Obama's have to HTFU and take care of assassination attempts themselves like Canadians.

Jan. 16, 2009, 12:41 p.m.

I am happy Obama won the election. I hope he can cut thru the partisan BS and get some things changed.

Srsly doubt he will get shot. Hope not at least.

Jack Bauer will protect him…

Jan. 16, 2009, 12:49 p.m.

Optimistic about the future, but expectations are extremely high for Obama. I guess it shouldn't be too hard to show an improvement over dubyah, but Obama's definitely got his work cut out for him with the sh*tshow (Iraq, Afghanistan, economy, environment, etc) that is the USA and the world currently.

:canada: :england:

Jan. 16, 2009, 12:54 p.m.

i HATE to agree with anne coulter on ANYTHING and i HATE to admit i saw a clip of her on THE VIEW online, but the troll tranny manwh0re made one good point…

all the attempts (successful and not) on US presidents have been from left wing/commie wackos.

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

Jan. 16, 2009, 12:55 p.m.

The Dems stimulus package sounds pretty good:

The legislation calls for federal spending of roughly $550 billion and tax cuts of $275 billion over the next two years [HTML_REMOVED]#8212; totals certain to change as the measure works its way through Congress.
The measure calls for $90 billion to help the states meet the rising cost of providing health care for the poor in the recession, and another $39 billion to subsidize coverage by out-of-work wage-earners who cannot afford the cost of their employer-covered health care.
More than $100 billion is ticketed for education, including money for school districts to shield them from the effects of state cutbacks in services.

from: http://www.truthdig.com/eartotheground/item/20090115_what_does_825_billion_of_stimulation_feel_like/

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

Jan. 16, 2009, 1:08 p.m.

i like Obama, but I'm very skeptical about how he will perform as president, he was the best of 2 choices, and seems to be a smart well spoken guy. I think its irresponsible to have this idea that he is the knight in shining armor for the country. No one really knows how he is going to govern, he has a good senate record imho, but in terms of true governance, it's anyones guess..

Jan. 16, 2009, 1:17 p.m.

i HATE to agree with anne coulter on ANYTHING and i HATE to admit i saw a clip of her on THE VIEW online, but the troll tranny manwh0re made one good point…

all the attempts (successful and not) on US presidents have been from left wing/commie wackos.

So I assume we are to believe JFK was killed by Lee Harvey Oswald?

Jan. 16, 2009, 1:20 p.m.

if we go with "official" accounts, yes

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

Jan. 16, 2009, 1:25 p.m.

if we go with "official" accounts, yes

ya know, with the amount of CSI forensic type stuff that has been developed and that have solved hundreds of cold cases' by now you'd think they'd of been able to nail down conclusively who done it.

i'm a has been, trying to be a never was on the comeback trail.

Jan. 16, 2009, 1:26 p.m.

-m

His security detail was right up there with W's when he started gaining momentum in the primaries. Now that he is President-elect it is probably the most intense Secret Service detail ever put together.

If there is a serious assasination attempt on him, I would imagine it will have to be from the inside.