Unidentified Arial Phenomena (UAPs)

Oct. 20, 2022, 4:24 p.m.

Posted by: KenN

By 'arial', do I assume you mean 'aerial', and not a sans serif typeface designed by Monotype as a cheaper substitute for Helvetica?

Sorry, I meant papyrus.

Oct. 20, 2022, 7:42 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

Basically, it is not a mocked subject anymore and I think a lot of people realize that there is something going on and it is foolish to not make an effort to find out what it is.

what is not mocked?

that there have been a bunch of bad pics that are unidentifiable? or people making an immediate leap that this is potential evidence of aliens?

You can mock those things still, but if you want to mock the entire subject then you might want to ask yourself why the Pentagon and the US Congress are taking it seriously. I would imagine that they know things you don't.

All we have are grainy videos of unidentified things. If you jump to a conclusion that this is potential evidence of more, you have built a conclusion and are seeking evidence to support it. I just see more Bigfoot, Loch Ness, UFO pseudoscience.

We basically have the same level of evidence (and the same errors in analysis) we had 60 years ago. There is a reason none of the video is in focus – because the in focus images are clearly not anything interesting. They are aircraft, balloons, birds, even insects. When they are out of focus, then suddenly they are mysterious.

https://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/ufos-are-back-and-they-are-still-nothing/

https://skepticalinquirer.org/2021/08/how-to-keep-your-mind-on-solid-ground-during-the-latest-ufo-excitement/

https://thehill.com/opinion/national-security/559433-the-worlds-most-passionate-ufo-skeptic-versus-the-government/

Last edited by: Couch_Surfer on Oct. 20, 2022, 7:45 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 21, 2022, 4:17 p.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

You can mock those things still, but if you want to mock the entire subject then you might want to ask yourself why the Pentagon and the US Congress are taking it seriously. I would imagine that they know things you don't.

All we have are grainy videos of unidentified things. If you jump to a conclusion that this is potential evidence of more, you have built a conclusion and are seeking evidence to support it. I just see more Bigfoot, Loch Ness, UFO pseudoscience.

We basically have the same level of evidence (and the same errors in analysis) we had 60 years ago. There is a reason none of the video is in focus – because the in focus images are clearly not anything interesting. They are aircraft, balloons, birds, even insects. When they are out of focus, then suddenly they are mysterious.

https://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/ufos-are-back-and-they-are-still-nothing/

https://skepticalinquirer.org/2021/08/how-to-keep-your-mind-on-solid-ground-during-the-latest-ufo-excitement/

https://thehill.com/opinion/national-security/559433-the-worlds-most-passionate-ufo-skeptic-versus-the-government/

How many good high-resolution videos did we have of the stealth bomber or the SR-71 before people were allowed to take them? I am all for skepticism but a lot of these articles try too hard just so they can mock the idea. They claim there is a big problem due to the lack of evidence, but are still somehow sure the answer is mundane like an optical illusion which is actually rare and not mundane at all. Or like you, they mock the idea that everyone jumps to 'it must be aliens', but nobody who is serious is doing that. They are saying 'it's not a bird, or a balloon, or an optical illusion so we want to know what it is.'

I find all the skeptics like the ones you posted can never explain the Nimitz because each mundane explanation only works in a vacuum. With the Nimitz it was seen by 4 people in 2 different aircraft in different locations, it was seen on radar which is why they went to see it in the first place, and then it was seen again and videotaped a little while later. There is always a brilliant answer to one of them, but never all of them at the same time. Optical illusions are not picked up on radar. If the radar was just picking up a plane or a bird they would have seen a plane or a bird on a sunny afternoon. The video was taken from another location and confirmed the eyewitness accounts.

I find the so-called professional skeptics all very smug. I think it is more likely that the Pentagon is deliberately misleading the public and this is all a ruse than some random neurologist has outsmarted the entire military and figured out they were just seeing birds. You can either believe the pilots or not, but none of this convinces me that they all just made a big mistake.

Last edited by: chupacabra on Oct. 21, 2022, 4:27 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 21, 2022, 4:58 p.m.

In my opinion there is really no discussion to be had about the existence of life other than Earth in the universe, it absolutely exists without question in my mind.

Whether they've come here or not... who knows. None of the footage has me convinced yet.

Oct. 21, 2022, 5:49 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

in elementry school we took debating, the subject was "are there UFO's"

The smartest girl in the class took FOR and she said " if its flying & you don't know what it is ... its a UFO "

end of debate, teacher said yeah thats probably a bad subject to debate

Ha. That’s a smart kid.

Oct. 21, 2022, 6:56 p.m.

I agree but she was dull as cheese

Oct. 24, 2022, 9:16 a.m.

Posted by: thaaad

In my opinion there is really no discussion to be had about the existence of life other than Earth in the universe, it absolutely exists without question in my mind.

Whether they've come here or not... who knows. None of the footage has me convinced yet.

What about the footage, combined with eyewitness accounts and confirmation from the Pentagon?  It should take significant evidence to convince you that there are aliens visiting us, but does any of this convince you that they are seeing some kind of craft or drone of unknown origin and not just mirages, balloons or swamp gas?

Oct. 24, 2022, 12:57 p.m.

Not convinced. 

Unidentified flying objects?  Sure, but none of it screams "extraterrestrials" to me.

Last edited by: thaaad on Oct. 24, 2022, 12:57 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 24, 2022, 1:04 p.m.

whos got any good documentaries on this.

Oct. 24, 2022, 1:46 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

Not convinced. 

Unidentified flying objects?  Sure, but none of it screams "extraterrestrials" to me.

Fair enough.  What does it scream?  China?  Russia?  Dr. Evil?  This is why I think it is the most important story nobody is talking about.  It doesn't have to be aliens to be highly concerning.

Oct. 24, 2022, 1:58 p.m.

Posted by: Adam-West

whos got any good documentaries on this.

They are really hard to find.  Either they are wacky nonsense or they are generic and don't really get too interesting.  There was a series on History that was decent called Unidentified: Inside America's UFO Investigation.  I think there is a 2nd season that I haven't seen, but the first season concentrated on the recent military sighting by fighter pilots.  It gets into pretty good detail on the tic tac sighting and all the details around it.  Shatner has one as well but I haven't seen that either.

Oct. 24, 2022, 8:26 p.m.

I think it is the most important story nobody is talking about. It doesn't have to be aliens to be highly concerning.

Why though? If some foreign/alien entity has craft that can fly in this manner then obviously they are technologically superior to us and could swat us into oblivion anytime they wanted. Kinda like how Indigenous peoples have been colonized by Europeans. ;) So we don't have a lot of say in the manner of whether they want to be friendly or not unless there is some sort of earth bound disease that will kill them. But really if they have advanced military type tech then they probably have advanced medical tech too. We're basically sitting ducks.

Last edited by: syncro on Oct. 24, 2022, 8:32 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 25, 2022, 9:23 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

I think it is the most important story nobody is talking about. It doesn't have to be aliens to be highly concerning.

Why though? If some foreign/alien entity has craft that can fly in this manner then obviously they are technologically superior to us and could swat us into oblivion anytime they wanted. Kinda like how Indigenous peoples have been colonized by Europeans. ;) So we don't have a lot of say in the manner of whether they want to be friendly or not unless there is some sort of earth bound disease that will kill them. But really if they have advanced military type tech then they probably have advanced medical tech too. We're basically sitting ducks.

To further your analogy though, if the indigenous people started seeing ships sailing along the coast before contact how much better off would they have been if they launched a full investigation into what they were, why they were here, and who was behind them?  A bio on Columbus and a list of the goals of the European powers would have been pretty important knowledge before making any deals or trading with them.

We might be sitting ducks but knowledge is still power.

Oct. 25, 2022, 10:01 a.m.

Knowledge might be power but a smart man once said ignorance is bliss. 

If some entity is advanced enough that they can visit us from another galaxy then we’re at their mercy and hope they’re friendly or see us as a species that is worthy of existing and not being taken advantage of. If they plan on subjugating us then we’re at a gun fight with pointy sticks.

Oct. 25, 2022, 2:13 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Knowledge might be power but a smart man once said ignorance is bliss. 

If some entity is advanced enough that they can visit us from another galaxy then we’re at their mercy and hope they’re friendly or see us as a species that is worthy of existing and not being taken advantage of. If they plan on subjugating us then we’re at a gun fight with pointy sticks.

If it is aliens, then we clearly need more data.  I would expect them to be automated probes sending back data to their home, just like what we do on Mars or the Moon.  For a probe, it doesn't matter if a trip takes 100 years so there is no need for warp drives or anything too far beyond our capabilities.  It's not like we could subjugate some primitive society on Mars with Curiosity.  It will take years before Elon gets there and bangs their wives.   

If it is Earth tech, then we also need to know what it is and who is making them.  They are a threat and the tech could be really useful.  If something can move through the sky without a heat signature it can probably make green energy too.  

If they are just an illusion or something of that nature we need to know so I will stop bothering people about this and asking why they are not taking it seriously.