Undermount Sink re-mount

June 26, 2013, 10:05 p.m.

Okay, so I have a porcelain bathroom sink, undermount style, installed under a granite countertop. The contractor epoxied two 3/4" plywood strips either side of the sink, then used steel straps under the sink and screwed into the plywood strips to hold the sink up.

One of the plywood strips has come off, so the whole shit show has fallen down into the cabinet. I could call the contractor to get his ass over and fix it, but the real trouble is that it'll just get re-done the same way and I really don't trust it. If I want it done right, I'll do it myself!

So … I found a different system from this company in the US where you put in a couple of rails, then some screws go up from underneath to hold it in place. Looks like this:

http://www.vanceind.com/25insinkundermounter.aspx

Looks like this Vance Industries has a patent on it, so nobody else makes it. But it looks to me like a solid way to hold the sink long term. My problem? Can't find it for sale in Canada, and the damn shipping charges will almost double the price if I order from the mfr.

Anyone know a plumbing supply or such in the area that carries this?

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

June 26, 2013, 10:10 p.m.

http://www.missionplumbingandheating.ca/

ask for jesus.

that or get it shipped to point bob.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 26, 2013, 10:28 p.m.

Why on earth would you undermount a sink? Don't you know that your kid could open up that cabinet and your system could fail at the same time if he/she manages to get past the child locks you've diligently installed? What's wrong with you man? Over mount for the win.

that's how you KenN a thread up.

June 26, 2013, 10:33 p.m.

You should have posted this in the "Ask KenN thread of all threads- NSFG". That way you could find the answer.

Thread killer

June 26, 2013, 11:45 p.m.

One of the plywood strips has come off, so the whole shit show has fallen down into the cabinet.
Kn.

this is what happens when you don't say grace

June 26, 2013, 11:50 p.m.

Why on earth would you undermount a sink? Don't you know that your kid could open up that cabinet and your system could fail at the same time if he/she manages to get past the child locks you've diligently installed? What's wrong with you man? Over mount for the win.

that's how you KenN a thread up.

All my sinks are undermount and I've had zero problems. Nothing but tight strapping (or clips) and silicon holding them in place.

This looks fairly easy, but you could just use a properly glue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHKY9d0f_vU

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 27, 2013, 7:13 a.m.

All my sinks are undermount and I've had zero problems. Nothing but tight strapping (or clips) and silicon holding them in place.

This looks fairly easy, but you could just use a properly glue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHKY9d0f_vU

The joke went over your head. Just sayin.

June 27, 2013, 7:42 a.m.

Seeing as how I own a custom granite shop, I might be able to help out, if its only a bath vanity then you really just need a two part epoxy to bond the stone and sink. The system your describing is overly complex and very difficult to install top down. I'd just find your local tile/stone shop and get a quart of polymer epoxy liberally coat the sink rim and outside edges and attach it. generally you can use a 2x4 on a string or similar to bring the sink up and get a tight seal.

June 27, 2013, 8:39 a.m.

What took soon long there Andy?

June 27, 2013, 11:33 a.m.

The joke went over your head. Just sayin.

No, I just ignored it and stated that using silicon and mounting clamps should be fine. Plywood and weak glue are not.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 27, 2013, 11:44 a.m.

http://www.missionplumbingandheating.ca/

that or get it shipped to point bob.

Your link above looks like an installer … do they have a retail storefront?

The kit is $35, shipping to Canada is estimated at $25 - plus it's UPS so I'll get further raped on their bullshit "brokerage fee". Shipping to PR was estimated at $16. Still seems a silly price for a $35 item. I found the same kits on amazon.com for $60 and up though (before shipping costs).

Seeing as how I own a custom granite shop, I might be able to help out, if its only a bath vanity then you really just need a two part epoxy to bond the stone and sink. The system your describing is overly complex and very difficult to install top down. I'd just find your local tile/stone shop and get a quart of polymer epoxy liberally coat the sink rim and outside edges and attach it. generally you can use a 2x4 on a string or similar to bring the sink up and get a tight seal.

The problem is that my trust in the epoxy just isn't there. The sink was contractor-installed and the installation failed.

The Vance system is the opposite of complex (my opinion). Simple - two beams and screw up from underneath to support. Does not need to be installed from the top down. Check the link for further photos!

I realize this system is quite new and not common (because of the new-ness), but it provides a mechanical means of support that I can trust not to fail. Which I can't say is true for the epoxy supports that were installed by a skilled contractor!

Kn.

June 27, 2013, 11:56 a.m.

However you decide to do it, be sure to play the new Blue Oyster Cult album while you're working on it.

Libre? Libre como el vienta……

June 27, 2013, 1:09 p.m.

Same thing happened to me (contractor-installed undermount sink fell). The wire band just pulled out of the particle board it was screwed into (big surprise).

I put a 1x2 across the front of the sink to hold the sink tight up against the underside of the countertop. Under the 1x2, I screwed wood blocks into the gable ends on either side of the sink, to support the 1x2. Use 4 screws for each wood support block.

I did one of these across the front and one across the back.

It took some serious maneouvering to get it supported up tight while i installed the wood blocks, especially at the back of the sink!

It's not going anywhere and has held for about 2 years.

June 27, 2013, 6:22 p.m.

The problem is that my trust in the epoxy just isn't there. The sink was contractor-installed and the installation failed.

The Vance system is the opposite of complex (my opinion). Simple - two beams and screw up from underneath to support. Does not need to be installed from the top down. Check the link for further photos!

I realize this system is quite new and not common (because of the new-ness), but it provides a mechanical means of support that I can trust not to fail. Which I can't say is true for the epoxy supports that were installed by a skilled contractor!

Kn.

God doesnt give a flying fuck whether or not you trust epoxy. Look forward to another giant beam of "eat shit" lightning taking that thing out when you remount it

June 27, 2013, 6:33 p.m.

I have no idea what you're on about.

Kn.