Uber

March 29, 2018, 1:30 a.m.

I still think change is good, it will improve the service of taxis

March 29, 2018, 1:26 p.m.

They've had enough time and have built up enough negative sentiment that most people's attitudes (mine included) is fuck 'em, let em burn and let taxi medallions devalue to nil. I feel a small amount of sympathy for drivers but none for medallion owners.

March 29, 2018, 4:33 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

I got no dog in this fight other than to point out our devolution towards a new feudalism.

But go for it dude. Drive them all into poverty for your own selfish interests.

Wait, so don't you see the hypocrisy and irony of your post? You're arguing for a monopolized system (cab licenses) that works in favour of the cab companies and medallion holders and works against the consumer. Aren't you the one who usually fights for the rights of the masses?

Last edited by: syncro on March 29, 2018, 4:40 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling
April 4, 2018, 8:50 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: tungsten

I got no dog in this fight other than to point out our devolution towards a new feudalism.

But go for it dude. Drive them all into poverty for your own selfish interests.

Wait, so don't you see the hypocrisy and irony of your post? You're arguing for a monopolized system (cab licenses) that works in favour of the cab companies and medallion holders and works against the consumer. Aren't you the one who usually fights for the rights of the masses?

Supporting the taxis is 100% counter to the argument he made. I used to be a fisherman and the licenses are similar. They started out inexpensive back in the day, but you can buy and sell them on the open market and they don't release them anymore so over time the value has gone sky high. What has happened over that time is the independent fisherman with his own boat and license is giving way to leased boats and licenses from a fleet owned by Pattison (Canfisco).

Last edited by: chupacabra on April 4, 2018, 8:51 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 4, 2018, 1:47 p.m.

The upside so far with Uber is that the cab drivers can't be dicks anymore.
Haven't been flat out refused or some bullshit excuse,  the last couple times have hailed one from downtown.

April 4, 2018, 2:09 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Supporting the taxis is 100% counter to the argument he made. I used to be a fisherman and the licenses are similar. They started out inexpensive back in the day, but you can buy and sell them on the open market and they don't release them anymore so over time the value has gone sky high. What has happened over that time is the independent fisherman with his own boat and license is giving way to leased boats and licenses from a fleet owned by Pattison (Canfisco).

Free, open markets is always the best.  Don't argue, just join the religion already.

April 5, 2018, 6:30 p.m.

It's a bitch when the undercutters get undercut themselves. Waaaaaaaaah!

Thread killer

April 6, 2018, 9:28 a.m.

It's all because of the Illuminati Stonecutters!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSpOjj4YD8c

April 7, 2018, 10:49 a.m.

I agree that the taxi situation has improved in the city since the threat of Uber has loomed over them. 

Nothing beats the uber payment method. And uber pool is a great carpooling tool.

April 8, 2018, 6:30 p.m.

Posted by: skidrc

I agree that the taxi situation has improved in the city since the threat of Uber has loomed over them. 

Nothing beats the uber payment method. And uber pool is a great carpooling tool.

To me, the dependability, cleanliness, and customer service are the #1 things about Uber/Lyft. The payment system is great too, but it's really the rating system and whatever Uber's process is for bringing down the banhammer on low ratings that makes it great.

April 15, 2018, 9:18 p.m.

I do way too much business travel and I use Uber a lot in places where it is prevalent. In some cities, San Fran for example, Uber has transformed how I get around.

I'm also fascinated by the taxi industry and the value of medallions. Ive been talking to cab drivers all over the US and Canada about Medallions for a couple decades. Years ago they looked at the value of a medallion as an investment and guaranteeing them a job -they bought their job - remember, these tended to be unskilled and potentially uneductated people who could get a loan using the medallion as security (once upon a time), and end up with income as a result. Instead of buying houses, they bought a medallion because that would allow them to buy a house and more.

Uber and Lyft drivers are getting squeezed today. The two are competing with eachother on price and both are also cutting the percentage that they are paying drivers, so the drivers are getting a lower percentage of a lower priced fare today versus a couple years ago. In San Fran, drivers are getting paid 1/3rd to 1/2 what they would for the same distance 2years ago. Most accept it because of the flexibility of schedule but if they've been driving for Uber for a few years they are not happy with their compensation versus prior.

Toronto is interesting because if you call an Uber, a taxi is showing up. Its the only city Ive seen where Taxi drivers are Uber drivers. In NY its all black SUVs as Ubers.

I have a regular taxi driver who takes me to the airport everytime and we talk about Uber each ride. I find it fascinating. Unfortunately the change in the environment has crushed those who's medallions were everything to them. I find it bizarre because normally regulation is increased; in this case a regulated industry is getting killed by competition that gets to skirt regulations.

And the medallions traded at over $1M USD in NYC because after borrowing costs, that's what the cash flows were worth. Remember, these things were solid investments for decades.

I thought that Uber couldn't get into BC because of ICBC?

April 16, 2018, 8:38 a.m.

I don't want to see anyone's lively hood taken away. Just want to be able to hail a cab/uber within a reasonable time frame and not be treated like an they are doing me a favor.
The local cab industry had it coming and now they have to smarten up, which IMO they have.

Sept. 28, 2018, 12:58 p.m.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/drivers-for-uber-lyft-are-earning-less-than-half-of-what-they-did-four-years-ago-study-finds-2018-09-24

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

March 25, 2019, 4:27 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

I'm also fascinated by the taxi industry and the value of medallions. Ive been talking to cab drivers all over the US and Canada about Medallions for a couple decades. Years ago they looked at the value of a medallion as an investment and guaranteeing them a job -they bought their job - remember, these tended to be unskilled and potentially uneductated people who could get a loan using the medallion as security (once upon a time), and end up with income as a result. Instead of buying houses, they bought a medallion because that would allow them to buy a house and more.

Hence the push back from cab owners in LM. Value of their cab license (medallion) is collateral to buy houses 'n shit and ultimately retirement. Cab driving is a shit job w/so-so wages the only reason it could be made a career is w/ownership. With advent of Uber those licenses are worth squat.

Now uber on strike...lol

https://drivers-united.org/

Fair Pay

10% commission cap for Uber & Lyft

Pay drivers per mile & per minute rate en route to the passenger

Set hourly minimum pay matching New York City's $27.86 per hour before expenses

Include a gas-price indexed surcharge in fare

TNC Transparency

Transparent, speedy, independent de-activation appeals process, with all discipline held to "just cause" standard

Show drivers the estimated fare payment & the trip destination before accepting trip

Show complete fare breakdown with Uber or Lyft’s take on passenger receipt

A Voice on the Job

Uber & Lyft recognition of our independent, driver-led organization, to negotiate on behalf of drivers

The right to organize without retaliation

An elected driver-representative appointed to Uber & Lyft's boards of directors

Community Standards

Rideshare vehicle cap to eliminate unnecessary traffic & carbon emissions

Emission standards for all new vehicles added to the platforms

Uber & Lyft must share all vehicle data with local authorities for traffic management

March 26, 2019, 2:46 p.m.

How do we still not have Uber/Lyft in 2019... insanity. Liberals should promise to implement it on day 1 and they will get elected, seriously it would be a good political move.