UBC Okangan Dorm?

June 21, 2010, 3:17 p.m.

I'll be moving to UBC Okanagan Similkameen place this September. I'm hoping to bring a bike with me. Would they let me keep the bike in my room? I asked them this and they told me they had some shared bike storage, but I don't want to lock up my $2,000 with other Wallmart bikes :eek2:. It's a single room, so dealing with a roommate won't be a problem.

Is anyone from UBC Okanagan here? Would they let me keep the bike in my dorm?

ObservedTrials.net
Trials-Forum.co.uk
Tartybikes.co.uk
Wherestheseat.com

June 21, 2010, 3:22 p.m.

I can't answer the UBC Okanagan exactly, but when I was at UBC we would always let people keep nicer bikes in their room, they just had to do it on the down low. The standard reponse was always that bikes were not allowed.

June 21, 2010, 3:31 p.m.

I've been living in UBC Vancouver residence for the last 5 years, and there are no rules against keeping bikes in your room. If there is anything in the fine print, no one will hassle you, tons of people keep bikes inside. I can't speak specifically for the Okanagan campus, but I don't imagine there will be a problem.

Way back from the old school days of NSMB…

June 21, 2010, 5:35 p.m.

If there is anything in the fine print, no one will hassle you,

Thanks for the responses.

but what do you mean by fine print??

ObservedTrials.net
Trials-Forum.co.uk
Tartybikes.co.uk
Wherestheseat.com

June 21, 2010, 5:40 p.m.

Thanks for the responses.

but what do you mean by fine print??

There's a "residence contract" you sign when you live there, it includes all the rules and stuff. There's a possibility (though I doubt it) that they say something about storing bikes in the contract. Even if it does say something though (and again, I can only speak from my experience in Vancouver), I doubt that anyone would actually give you trouble for storing a bike inside. As long as you don't track mud through the hallways and stuff like that…

Way back from the old school days of NSMB…

June 21, 2010, 9:19 p.m.

And read the residence contract in whole, it's good stuff to know. It's not your standard rental agreement.

June 21, 2010, 10:41 p.m.

no advice for UBC O but like said, at UBC in Van I kept my bike in my room. It was a tight fit though in those small rooms.

I would recommend a good U lock and a heavy duty padlock on a chain for your bike even when in your room. Chances are your room will get left open sometime during a rez party…. this is a fact. Also theft does occur with so many bodies coming through at all hours of the day.

June 22, 2010, 6:47 a.m.

1.38 (b)

Looks like they allow bikes in rooms now, I believe this has changed since I was there.

June 22, 2010, 8:49 a.m.

You're all good.

Although the Simi dorm rooms are so small it might get in the way if you bring some tail home.

"Fullness of knowledge always means some understanding of the depths of our ignorance; and that is always conducive to humility and reverence." - Robert Millikan

June 22, 2010, 8:54 a.m.

^you just gotta get creative then

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

June 22, 2010, 9:57 a.m.

^you just gotta get creative then

I ended up raising the bed base board all the up on the bed posts and keeping my bike and books on top of that. I stuck the mattress under that on the floor and slept there. I then used a shitty rez blanket around the sides, duck taped it on the board and made a sort of fort (more importantly it's now 100% dark and sealed from the roommates).
Chicks still digged it and it worked out well enough, the head room was a touch cramped tho. Like everyone there, they were all too stoked to be out, alone, from the 'rents.

:lol: I'm so glad I was in residence for those years… but god I will never do that again. :lol:

June 22, 2010, 3:32 p.m.

You're all good.

Although the Simi dorm rooms are so small it might get in the way if you bring some tail home.

Thanks man! Thats what I needed to hear. :fruit:
Simi dorm rooms didn't look that small in pictures.. lol
Its a trials bike, so it should fit somewhat better.

ObservedTrials.net
Trials-Forum.co.uk
Tartybikes.co.uk
Wherestheseat.com

June 22, 2010, 3:37 p.m.

I ended up raising the bed base board all the up on the bed posts and keeping my bike and books on top of that. I stuck the mattress under that on the floor and slept there. I then used a shitty rez blanket around the sides, duck taped it on the board and made a sort of fort (more importantly it's now 100% dark and sealed from the roommates).
Chicks still digged it and it worked out well enough, the head room was a touch cramped tho. Like everyone there, they were all too stoked to be out, alone, from the 'rents.

:lol: I'm so glad I was in residence for those years… but god I will never do that again. :lol:

Haha pics? :eek2:

ObservedTrials.net
Trials-Forum.co.uk
Tartybikes.co.uk
Wherestheseat.com

June 22, 2010, 6:21 p.m.

Haha pics? :eek2:

Sadly no. It was before I had a camera and it was only for the first term of school. Housing stuck me in the floor's kitchen with 2 other guys, due to over crowding, so I had to get creative.

June 24, 2010, 4:35 p.m.

Simi rooms are pretty damn small, but you could possibly stick r under the bed. I kept my bike in the bike lockup first year and didn't have it stolen. I'm in the Cascade buildings so I just keep my bikes in my living room.

vimeo
Flickr