tzatziki ideas

Sept. 24, 2007, 9:07 a.m.

make a bisque.

Or I could tell you how to make lobster gaspachio :)

I went with a creamy one and it kicked ass, let me know if there is anything you think would have made it better

Sauted veg in clarified butter
onions
celery
carrots
fennel
potatos
red pepper

added white wine (pinot gris)

Lobster Stock

1/2 can tomato paste

bay leaf
basil
habanero pepper
spoon of dijon
S[HTML_REMOVED]P

let cook till potatos were tender

added red snapper and lobster, cooked for a couple minutes, then added a 1/2 litre heavy cream

simmer for a few minutes and thickened with tapioca starch

Finished with juice of one lemon

Was drinking a Maudite and thought that may have been a good additon too, but it was too late

meh

Sept. 24, 2007, 10:04 a.m.

don't forget mint and a lil' dill

intelligent designer jeans
cornichons > dills

Sept. 24, 2007, 2:13 p.m.

Was drinking a Maudite

shhhhhhhhh!!!

Well, well I been movin' down to Florida.
And I'm gonna bowl me a perfect game.
Well I'm gonna cut off my leg down in Florida, child.
And I'm gonna dance one-legged off in the rain.

Sept. 24, 2007, 2:15 p.m.

shhhhhhhhh!!!

I can't believe how bad I mispelled budlite

meh

Sept. 24, 2007, 2:32 p.m.

I went with a creamy one and it kicked ass, let me know if there is anything you think would have made it better

onions
celery
carrots
fennel
potatos
red pepper

Lobster Stock

1/2 can tomato paste

bay leaf
basil
habanero pepper
spoon of dijon
S[HTML_REMOVED]P

added red snapper and lobster, cooked for a couple minutes, then added a 1/2 litre heavy cream

Was drinking a Maudite and thought that may have been a good additon too, but it was too late

I would have sauted some lobster shells, added a mirepoix, then the wine and the stock, let it simmer a while.

I would have done everything that you did except for the tapioca starch, I would have made a roux at the begining. Or cooked the potatoes until they became the thickening agent. And I would have poached the fish in at the end, letting the soup simmer for a while. Nice touch on the dijon.

Maudite Francais!

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Sept. 24, 2007, 2:41 p.m.

onions
celery
carrots
fennel
potatos
red pepper

Lobster Stock

1/2 can tomato paste

bay leaf
basil
habanero pepper
spoon of dijon
S[HTML_REMOVED]P

I would have sauted some lobster shells, added a mirepoix, then the wine and the stock, let it simmer a while.

I would have done everything that you did except for the tapioca starch, I would have made a roux at the begining. Or cooked the potatoes until they became the thickening agent. And I would have poached the fish in at the end, letting the soup simmer for a while. Nice touch on the dijon.

Maudite Francais!

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Sept. 24, 2007, 2:43 p.m.

Maudite Francais!

I sauted the shells when I made the stock, and didn't use a roux because my daughter is allergic to wheat and I didn't have enough time to let the potatos thicken it, was unsure how a rice flour roux would have worked

meh

Sept. 24, 2007, 2:51 p.m.

my sister is like your daughter. She's always throwing these shitty starches for me to thicken shit whenever I cook.

Flour is the only way to thicken things properly.

however, you could saute the veg, deglaze with wine, add the stock, add the cream, add a bunch of potatoes and cook, let reduce until thick. puree and strain. that's a fucking good thick stock right there. good base for chowders and what not. Or you could use 1/2 fish stock, 1/2 chicken, then use that as a base for a smoked salmon chowder. Toss in some diced celery root, you have a smoked salmon chowder to die for!

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Sept. 24, 2007, 2:57 p.m.

my sister is like your daughter. She's always throwing these shitty starches for me to thicken shit whenever I cook.

Flour is the only way to thicken things properly.

however, you could saute the veg, deglaze with wine, add the stock, add the cream, add a bunch of potatoes and cook, let reduce until thick. puree and strain. that's a fucking good thick stock right there. good base for chowders and what not. Or you could use 1/2 fish stock, 1/2 chicken, then use that as a base for a smoked salmon chowder. Toss in some diced celery root, you have a smoked salmon chowder to die for!

I'm gonna make a salmon chowder soon too, celery root is celeriac?

salmon, potatos, corn, halapenos, red peppers, onions?

meh

Sept. 24, 2007, 3:06 p.m.

any ideas for a baked salmon filet? i usually put some lemon/lime, and worchestershire

Sept. 24, 2007, 3:08 p.m.

any ideas for a baked salmon filet? i usually put some lemon/lime, and worchestershire

marinate it for a hour or two in mirin, soy and maple syrup

meh

Sept. 24, 2007, 3:20 p.m.

I'm gonna make a salmon chowder soon too, celery root is celeriac?

salmon, potatos, corn, halapenos, red peppers, onions?

ya same veggie.

I would do a nice dice of onions, carrots, celery, celeriac and saute it, add some wine, bay leaf, then add the stock. I would dice few red potatoes and in a seperate pot, bring to a boil and let cool, just enough to cook them, then I would strain and add them to the soup at the end. Then I would add the diced salmon, diced potatoes and finish off the seasoning. This would keep the potatoes intact, not have too strong a fishy taste and everything would have a nice texture. maybe finish it with some fresh dill and basil. maybe drizzle a smoked tomato compote or some floofy shit on top for colour with some chopped chives…

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Sept. 24, 2007, 3:26 p.m.

ya same veggie.

I would do a nice dice of onions, carrots, celery, celeriac and saute it, add some wine, bay leaf, then add the stock. I would dice few red potatoes and in a seperate pot, bring to a boil and let cool, just enough to cook them, then I would strain and add them to the soup at the end. Then I would add the diced salmon, diced potatoes and finish off the seasoning. This would keep the potatoes intact, not have too strong a fishy taste and everything would have a nice texture. maybe finish it with some fresh dill and basil. maybe drizzle a smoked tomato compote or some floofy shit on top for colour with some chopped chives…

good call on the potatos, I'll do that next time, definately some chives are in order

you done an oyster chowder before?

meh

Sept. 24, 2007, 3:34 p.m.

yeah, just like I did with that one. What I did was I breaded the oysters in white cornmeal and cooked them in clarified butter until crispy. Drained on a paper towel. Then just before I served the soup I threw a few of the cooked oysters in. Oh, I stilled used the celeriac in there too.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Sept. 24, 2007, 4:16 p.m.

yeah, just like I did with that one. What I did was I breaded the oysters in white cornmeal and cooked them in clarified butter until crispy. Drained on a paper towel. Then just before I served the soup I threw a few of the cooked oysters in. Oh, I stilled used the celeriac in there too.

mmmmmmmmmm fried oysters

I'll throw this one out there, poach oysters just to firm them up a bit, wrap em in bacon and throw them on the bbq, finish with a nice spicy bbq sauce, pure heaven

meh