Tyres - Rims etc

Sept. 28, 2012, 10:58 a.m.

So, I think I am going to get some steel rims for my snow tyres, as we've decided to keep the car for a few more years. But I am cheap, how do I go about making sure I've got the right rim size and hole spacing. It is for 2004 Lancer.

Tyre size P195/60r15
Hole spacing Bolt Pattern:4-114.3 mm

I've just learned I need new nuts for this project

Cheers,

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Sept. 28, 2012, 11:38 a.m.

So, I think I am going to get some steel rims for my snow tyres, as we've decided to keep the car for a few more years. But I am cheap, how do I go about making sure I've got the right rim size and hole spacing. It is for 2004 Lancer.

Tyre size P195/60r15

Cheers,

So… That tire sizing is pretty standard for compact cars. Buy new winter tires from Canadian Tire. I think in that size, their goodyear nordics will be a pretty good value? Or shop around online for that size or a compatible size in 15" rim (like 185/65R15?).

For wheels, 4x114.3 is the less common of the 4-bolt sizes… So don't assume any 4-bolt rim will fit. If you're buying used, be sure. Take a tape measure. Opposing holes should be 4.5 inches apart (centre-to-centre), NOT 4".

But just about any 15" rim with the right bolt hole pattern, from any front wheel drive compact car should fit.

Sept. 28, 2012, 11:38 a.m.

Wow … its going to be that terrifying, is it?

Sept. 28, 2012, 12:38 p.m.

Tyre size P195/60r15

You'll also need to know wheel offset, width and hub bore size. Offset in mm and width in inches should be stamped on the back face of the wheel somewhere.

Hub bore is important because that's what supports the weight of the car. A hub bore too large means the wheel studs are supporting the weight of the car. A hub bore too small means the wheel isn't going on all the way.

"Dont be fooled Timmy, if the cow had a chance he'd kill you and everyone you love."

Sept. 28, 2012, 1:05 p.m.

Be careful, They have 2 standard spacings that are very close, 4x114.3 and 4x113.5 (if memory serves me correctly). I think 114.3 is the same as 4x4.5. As far as rim OD goes, you can always go bigger
But not smaller.

Make sure you get the correct backspacing as well

Sept. 28, 2012, 1:12 p.m.

…Buy new winter tires from Canadian Tire. I think in that size, their goodyear nordics will be a pretty good value? …

They work well too, I have a set for my 2006 Civic, on the stock steel wheels.

There is a bunch of info on them in the snow tire thread from a couple of years ago. Have to search to find it.

Sept. 29, 2012, 3:51 a.m.

That's a pretty standard bolt pattern spacing for Japanese cars. Front wheel drive, so probably fairly big offset of 40mm or so.

Steel wheels are $60 or so new. Try various shops like Canadian Tire or Walmart or local tire store.

Also check Craigslist for used wheels and tires.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 29, 2012, 6:54 a.m.

just hit up the auto wrecker for 4 used rims, probably cheaper than buying 4 new steel rims and you won't have to deal with the headache of guessing which rims will work.

Sept. 30, 2012, 7:50 p.m.

It might be better down there but up here its hard to find used rims at the wrecker so I just get them new from Kal tire, even then steel rims will save enough $ to pay for themselves in [HTML_REMOVED]3 yrs but either a wrecker or kal will be bale to find you the right wheels

if you buy new rims from kal they will swap your winters over for free every year in the spring [HTML_REMOVED] fall so you won't have to get dirty, BUT they may even instal them free while you would have to pay for rims you bought used elsewhere …I would check

Oct. 1, 2012, 1:15 a.m.

So, I think I am going to get some steel rims for my snow tyres, as we've decided to keep the car for a few more years. But I am cheap,

Cheers,

New rims(cheap ones) and nuts will take you 2.5-3 seasons just to break even cash-wise VS paying for tire swaps on one set of rims over the same period. So if you only have this car for a few more yrs…you won't be saving a dime..there are pros/cons to having two mounted sets of wheels, but they have nothing to do with money unless going beyond 3 seasons.

Oct. 1, 2012, 7:50 a.m.

Yes but you can sell the snow tires [HTML_REMOVED] rims seperate from the car to recoup the extra cost of buying extra rims

also sometimes but not often the tire instaler can fuck up the bead taking them off [HTML_REMOVED] on so many times

Oct. 1, 2012, 8:24 a.m.

Yes but you can sell the snow tires [HTML_REMOVED] rims seperate from the car to recoup the extra cost of buying extra rims

Yup, I usually only get 3 seasons of use out of my snow tire/rim combos before changing cars. Haven't had any problems selling them afterwards and it has always worked out cheaper in the end than mounting and balancing every spring/fall.

"Dont be fooled Timmy, if the cow had a chance he'd kill you and everyone you love."

Oct. 1, 2012, 10:08 a.m.

I alway find it ironic and false economy that people will worry/whine about the cost of snow tires but never talk about performance, don't ever forget that having really good snow tires could save a life … snow tires and condoms are 2 rubber products you never want to scrimp on