Turbidity.

Nov. 26, 2006, 6:12 p.m.

Any updates on the condition of our water in the GVRD?

Nov. 26, 2006, 6:26 p.m.

http://www.gvrd.bc.ca/water/default.asp

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 26, 2006, 6:36 p.m.

Thanks Switch.

Daily GVRD Turbidity Readings
Sunday, Nov. 26, 2006
Watershed Turbidity (in NTUs)*
Capilano out of service
Seymour 8.2 NTU
Coquitlam 2.7 NTU

Does this mean we can drink the water from the tap now without treating it?

Nov. 26, 2006, 6:41 p.m.

On the news today we still have to boil our water! I heard that it has to be under 1 in order to be able to drink it without boiling the water! I sure hope this snow fall doesnt make turbidity a prob once the warmer temps kick in! :agree:

~Me thinks it is another girl! We so hope for!~

Nov. 26, 2006, 6:44 p.m.

http://www.straight.com/article/van-stralen-145

Props to Van Stralen…that guy always cracks me up

Nov. 26, 2006, 6:54 p.m.

Does this mean we can drink the water from the tap now without treating it?

I don't know.

I've been drinking the water all the time; it's only been an advisory and there has been no evidence of any unsafe contaminants.

The level is definitely a lot lower than it was just a couple days ago.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 26, 2006, 7:06 p.m.

I don't know.

I've been drinking the water all the time; it's only been an advisory and there has been no evidence of any unsafe contaminants.

The level is definitely a lot lower than it was just a couple days ago.

My question to you is, what colour is your water!? Ours is greenish brown, and taste like metal and very high chlorine content for sure. I just boiled some so I have some to drink until I buy more water again tomorrow, but today it looks worse then yesterdays, this water is the shits!:flame: I am in Bby Metrotown area. Anyone else have this prob????

~Me thinks it is another girl! We so hope for!~

Nov. 26, 2006, 7:09 p.m.

I've been buying water since the original advisory but am getting tired of lugging around jugs to and from the supermarket. I've started boiling but it tastes like crap.
The infrastructure in this city is pathetic. I've been chatting with friends and family from other major metropolitan areas and they all think Vancouver is a joke compared to their cities when it comes to emergency preparedness. I'd have to agree. C'mon… a heavy rainfall and our water turns to crap?

Nov. 26, 2006, 7:22 p.m.

I've been buying water since the original advisory but am getting tired of lugging around jugs to and from the supermarket. I've started boiling but it tastes like crap.
The infrastructure in this city is pathetic. I've been chatting with friends and family from other major metropolitan areas and they all think Vancouver is a joke compared to their cities when it comes to emergency preparedness. I'd have to agree. C'mon… a heavy rainfall and our water turns to crap?

just wait until that big earthquake they are always talking about.

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

Nov. 26, 2006, 7:28 p.m.

just wait until that big earthquake they are always talking about.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. There was an earthquake in Japan in August which measured 7.2 on the richter scale. NHK reported only one major injury and things are well on their way to being back to normal. I seriously doubt Vancouver is as well prepared. Think about it. One major rainfall and our water is fuxored for weeks.

Nov. 26, 2006, 8:38 p.m.

What exactly should be done? They're natural resevoirs… dry summer = low levels, incredibly abnormal amount of rain = mudslides.

This is a natural disaster. Not on the scale of an earthquake of course, but still in the same catagory. It's something you can't plan for, because it's so unlikely.

AT'sM: Yeah, my water is still pretty ugly looking. Made coffee with it this morning and suffered no ill effects though. Been brushing my teeth with it for about a week with no problems. I think I'm gonna follow switch's example and just ignore it from now on.

This space intentionally left blank.

Nov. 26, 2006, 8:55 p.m.

Our water (Burnaby, SFU area) looked the worst last weekend, its pretty clear now, but we're still boiling it to drink/cook with (though I've been using tap water to brush my teeth since its been clear again). When water is boiled, O2 is pushed out, which contributes to the nasty taste - use a little cappuccino "frother" to aerate it and it tastes just fine.

Burnaby is served by both Seymour and Coquilam, but it gets mixed in the system so the advisory is still in place for all of Burnaby:

http://www.burnabynow.com/issues06/114206/news/114206nn3.html

Nov. 26, 2006, 10:11 p.m.

What exactly should be done? They're natural resevoirs… dry summer = low levels, incredibly abnormal amount of rain = mudslides.

It's not my job to take care of that matter. If it were, I would probably start with emergency water reserves outside of the natural reservoirs. Then again, if I were in that position I could probably afford to have water delivered to my home and not have to worry about turbidity.

This is a natural disaster. Not on the scale of an earthquake of course, but still in the same catagory. It's something you can't plan for, because it's so unlikely.

Since when is heavy rain unlikely on the west coast?

Nov. 26, 2006, 10:13 p.m.

When water is boiled, O2 is pushed out, which contributes to the nasty taste - use a little cappuccino "frother" to aerate it and it tastes just fine.

Good advice. Thanks.

Nov. 26, 2006, 10:41 p.m.

The water colour is still a tad mirky, but nothing like it was a few days ago.

The Seymour filtration plant is supposed to come online next fall. It will resolve these problems.

Capilano water will be pumped to Seymour for filtration. I've read that they might get a filtration system there in a few years.

Coquitlam will remain as is for the time being.

The water systems here are indeed strange. Take Tofino, for example. That place gets more rain in the summer than most of Canada gets year round, yet last summer Tofino was on serious water restrictions.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells