Trump.

March 18, 2020, 3:23 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

That was a decent article except for that one line that you quoted and the author put into brackets.  How does he just drop that nuke in the middle of the article and leave it alone?  No reference.  Nothing.  

it's crap like that which makes me suspect of most of the articles tungsten posts. if there's no reference or acknowledgement towards a source or the info is not easily verified via a web search then those claims should be treated as untrustworthy.

March 18, 2020, 9:54 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

I can't understand how you can believe that so many people are morons by getting their news from mainstream sources that actively sabotage the progressive movement while at the same time think that Bernie could use the bully pulpit to build this strong coalition. How do you envision this miracle happening?

Brave New World. 1984.

Manufacturing Consent.

Thinking, Fast and Slow. Nudge. Predictably Irrational.

It's no miracle. We are monkeys on a rock hurtling through space and advertising combined with knowledge of the above work all too well. It's extremely easy to get people to vote against their best interests when they are uneducated *.

Take that Newsweek cover I posted above. No one will buy it, but now people will be saddled with the anchor, "Sanders / Muslim."

Sadly, it's tiny moves like these that set the world stage.

(* See Ontario, Alberta - Why we are cutting education (was BC but somehow we were smart enough for an election cycle to kick those shit cunts to the curb))

I understand how people are acting against their own self-interests and the ways in which our minds are easily played, but I just don't see how in this fractured landscape how POTUS Bernie can overcome all the other forces that are acting to play our minds and lead in the way Tungsten hopes for.  The "bully pulpit" is the power of the presidency to get out in front of the people and use his status to overwhelm all other messages.  Who can do that on their own today?  Bernie with 5 dollar donations?  That would be a miracle.

If the DNC cared about a better life for the meth-addled average American, they could take the 17,000 people Bernie drew in at Tacoma for a rally and turn it into a blue wave, using those very same tools as above.  Easier than it would be to get the "racial jungle", "gay-marriage bad" Biden into office. 

They've cut their losses and are praying for the next charismatic charlatan like Obama lands in their lap.

March 18, 2020, 9:58 p.m.

It's important we keep our countries white.

March 18, 2020, 10:26 p.m.

It's in teh stare..........

https://youtu.be/-26NiTLxu_Y

https://www.gregpalast.com/how-trumps-going-to-steal-the-2020-election/

Yay! https://theintercept.com/2020/03/17/marie-newman-dan-lipinski-illinois-primary-results/

Last edited by: tungsten on March 18, 2020, 10:41 p.m., edited 4 times in total.
March 19, 2020, 9:59 a.m.

I can't understand how you can believe that so many people are morons by getting their news from mainstream sources that actively sabotage the progressive movement while at the same time think that Bernie could use the bully pulpit to build this strong coalition. How do you envision this miracle happening?

Brave New World. 1984.

Manufacturing Consent.

Thinking, Fast and Slow. Nudge. Predictably Irrational.

It's no miracle. We are monkeys on a rock hurtling through space and advertising combined with knowledge of the above work all too well. It's extremely easy to get people to vote against their best interests when they are uneducated *.

Take that Newsweek cover I posted above. No one will buy it, but now people will be saddled with the anchor, "Sanders / Muslim."

Sadly, it's tiny moves like these that set the world stage.

(* See Ontario, Alberta - Why we are cutting education (was BC but somehow we were smart enough for an election cycle to kick those shit cunts to the curb))

I understand how people are acting against their own self-interests and the ways in which our minds are easily played, but I just don't see how in this fractured landscape how POTUS Bernie can overcome all the other forces that are acting to play our minds and lead in the way Tungsten hopes for. The "bully pulpit" is the power of the presidency to get out in front of the people and use his status to overwhelm all other messages. Who can do that on their own today? Bernie with 5 dollar donations? That would be a miracle.

If the DNC cared about a better life for the meth-addled average American, they could take the 17,000 people Bernie drew in at Tacoma for a rally and turn it into a blue wave, using those very same tools as above. Easier than it would be to get the "racial jungle", "gay-marriage bad" Biden into office.

They've cut their losses and are praying for the next charismatic charlatan like Obama lands in their lap.

Again, you overestimate the power of the DNC. You are also advocating the very thing that every Bernie bro has whined about since 2016 and that is for the DNC to pick a favourite. I don't remember praising the DNC anyway, I just asked a simple question. How do you see a progressive using the power of the presidency as a bully pulpit to effect change? You and Tungsten are the first to tell us all that the media is controlled by the vultures of capitalism. If you are right then they will fight that message every step of the way. They will make it impossible for centrist democrats to support any of it by destroying their re-elections. And when Bernie or whoever is in charge can't achieve their goals they will blame him for the mess they created by hampering his efforts just like they did to Obama with the crippled ACA. Obama had his faults but he spent 8 years with one hand tied behind his back trying to work with people that desperately wanted him to fail. Bernie would have that times 10.

You guys want to go all-in with a shitty hand or just fold if the cards said dumb shit 40 years ago. I want to play the cards that are dealt.

Last edited by: chupacabra on March 19, 2020, 10 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 19, 2020, 12:08 p.m.

Again, you overestimate the power of the DNC.

https://twitter.com/kgosztola/status/1221167638254161920

Last edited by: tungsten on March 19, 2020, 12:09 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 19, 2020, 1:54 p.m.

Does this make Biden more, or less racist than Turdump?

March 19, 2020, 2:01 p.m.

Posted by: KenN

You tell me...

March 19, 2020, 2:41 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Again, you overestimate the power of the DNC.

https://twitter.com/kgosztola/status/1221167638254161920

Why?  Do you expect me to read this tweet and then research the list of names to see who they all are?  Use your own words.  Who are they?  More importantly, how does this help your case that Bernie was going to use the bully pulpit?

I think the more telling story is in the comments below this tweet where a bunch of idealist morons are saying they will campaign against Biden.   In an ideal world, we would have leaders that ignored corporate influence, but until then can we at least get rid of Trump?

March 19, 2020, 2:48 p.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

ORLY??

https://www.vox.com/2016/7/25/12270880/donald-trump-racist-racism-history

"This is nothing new for Trump. In fact, the very first time that Trump appeared in the pages of the New York Times, back in the 1970s, was when the US Department of Justice sued him for racial discrimination. Since then, he has repeatedly appeared in newspaper pages across the world as he inspired more similar controversies."

March 19, 2020, 4:09 p.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

You tell me...

LOL.  Central Park 5 ring a bell?  C'mon man, this guy has been called a douche for years, but it took getting to know him better to find out that he is a racist.  Hanging with black people doesn't change that.

March 19, 2020, 6:27 p.m.

source? or is this just another "I read it on the internet so it must be true" factoid of the week?

March 19, 2020, 8:26 p.m.

...in 1977, in which Biden, then a U.S. senator representing Delaware, allegedly expressed fear that desegregation, if not done in an “orderly” way, could result in his children growing up in “a racial jungle with tensions having built so high that it is going to explode at some point".

Verified as true on Snopes - this is what they list as the quote:

Unless we do something about this, my children are going to grow up in a jungle, the jungle being a racial jungle with tensions having built so high that it is going to explode at some point. We have got to make some move on this.

Last edited by: switch on March 19, 2020, 8:28 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 19, 2020, 8:28 p.m.

Posted by: switch

...in 1977, in which Biden, then a U.S. senator representing Delaware, allegedly expressed fear that desegregation, if not done in an “orderly” way, could result in his children growing up in “a racial jungle with tensions having built so high that it is going to explode at some point".

Verified as true on Snopes.

I'd like to see the whole passage and take that into context before laying down any sort of judgement. Nevermind that a lot can happen in 40 plus years.

edit - just read the passage that was take from and unfortunately the follow up words after that last statement are missing. too much grey imo to call it one way or the other.

Last edited by: syncro on March 19, 2020, 8:50 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 19, 2020, 9:11 p.m.

• Again, you overestimate the power of the DNC.
  • You are also advocating the very thing that every Bernie bro has whined about since 2016 and that is for the DNC to pick a favourite.
  • I don't remember praising the DNC anyway, I just asked a simple question.
  • How do you see a progressive using the power of the presidency as a bully pulpit to effect change?

• You and Tungsten are the first to tell us all that the media is controlled by the vultures of capitalism.

• If you are right then they will fight that message every step of the way.

• They will make it impossible for centrist democrats to support any of it by destroying their re-elections.

• And when Bernie or whoever is in charge can't achieve their goals they will blame him for the mess they created by hampering his efforts just like they did to Obama with the crippled ACA.

• Obama had his faults but he spent 8 years with one hand tied behind his back trying to work with people that desperately wanted him to fail. Bernie would have that times 10.

You guys want to go all-in with a shitty hand or just fold if the cards said dumb shit 40 years ago. I want to play the cards that are dealt.

• Again, you underestimate the power of the DNC.
  • What am I advocating for?
  • Who said you were praising the DNC?
  • The same way it's being used today.  The message is the message and if peoples faces are constantly confronted with it change can come.
  • Media control has been talked about for over fifty years, with incontrovertible proof, yet people still convince themselves they're OK and they're looking after us.
  • They are doing that now, see MSNBC, Newsweek, CNN to name but a few.

• You're right, we shouldn't be allowed to vote and just let the donor class bequeath power like the kid-fiddlers do when a pope dies.

• The only change Obama brought was more surveillance on its citizenry and more drone strikes than Bush.

My message is clear, Biden is a fractional change from Trump.  120 year old and unpatented drugs will still be ten times the cost of the same drug in other developed countries, drone strikes will still be killing tens of thousands a year abroad, people will still be slaves to their work for fear of losing health insurance, prisons will remain private and incentivized to create more criminals and wealth inequality will still spiral out of control.

If I could find a way to bet against the USA over a fifteen year time span I would put a lot of money on it.