Trump.

Jan. 28, 2020, 10:58 a.m.

I don't know a lot about Lawrence but I believe he spent some time in the southwest and saw what America had done to the indigenous population there. I'm guessing his views on the American psyche is heavily influenced by this experience so he's unlikely to give much consideration to the more positive aspects of the "essential American soul". He's said to have avoided visiting India, as he felt he would be "overwhelmed"; which, for a sensitive person who is coming face to face with the results of his countrymans oppression, would be a fairly reasonable response (India IS overwhelming!). He likely had more sympathy for MK Gandhi than Colonel Dyer. Lawrence's lack of sympathy for the American population is somewhat ironic in light of his sympathy for the oppressed "Indian"; considering that his country was once their oppressor.

To me, if one wants to understand the "essential soul" of a people, one is better served by going there and spending time with them. Their media, their "leaders" and their foreign policy more accurately reflect the interests of their powerful elites than the spirit or even the interests of the general population.

Last edited by: tashi on Jan. 28, 2020, 10:59 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 28, 2020, 11:39 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

I don't know a lot about Lawrence but I believe he spent some time in the southwest and saw what America had done to the indigenous population there. I'm guessing his views on the American psyche is heavily influenced by this experience so he's unlikely to give much consideration to the more positive aspects of the "essential American soul". He's said to have avoided visiting India, as he felt he would be "overwhelmed"; which, for a sensitive person who is coming face to face with the results of his countrymans oppression, would be a fairly reasonable response (India IS overwhelming!). He likely had more sympathy for MK Gandhi than Colonel Dyer. Lawrence's lack of sympathy for the American population is somewhat ironic in light of his sympathy for the oppressed "Indian"; considering that his country was once their oppressor.

To me, if one wants to understand the "essential soul" of a people, one is better served by going there and spending time with them. Their media, their "leaders" and their foreign policy more accurately reflect the interests of their powerful elites than the spirit or even the interests of the general population.

I am sure I know less about him than you, but I agree with you about the soul of a people.  I have always enjoyed the people in the US and I have spent time in most parts of the country, including the deep south (the hospitality is real).  In most cases, the violent acts by the state do not define the people as well.  Iran is a  perfect example.

Jan. 29, 2020, 10:59 p.m.

Killers. Killers I tell you.

https://consortiumnews.com/2020/01/29/the-fbi-has-been-lying-about-seth-rich/

Last edited by: tungsten on Jan. 29, 2020, 11:21 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 30, 2020, 7:13 p.m.

https://twitter.com/nukestrat/status/1222510655586152449

Jan. 31, 2020, 2:51 a.m.

Trump will get off.  The USA is now an official banana republic.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Jan. 31, 2020, 8:49 a.m.

Posted by: switch

That Dershowitz argument was fucking insane.  Their system has no way to keep itself from being hostage to partisans and there is no path to any kind of reform that I can see.

Jan. 31, 2020, 10:41 a.m.

Jan. 31, 2020, 1:33 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

That Dershowitz argument was fucking insane.  Their system has no way to keep itself from being hostage to partisans and there is no path to any kind of reform that I can see.

Trump 2020 yet?

Jan. 31, 2020, 3:11 p.m.

And to think, Clinton pretty much got impeached over a blow job.

Jan. 31, 2020, 3:29 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

And back then we HAD to hear from Lewinsky. The rules are so slanted for the GOP it is amazing they ever lose. Think about what we witnessed today. It all hinged on what Collins and Murkowski would decide. Senators from 2 states that represent a total of 2 million people.  Fuck you California.

Last edited by: chupacabra on Jan. 31, 2020, 3:31 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Jan. 31, 2020, 3:33 p.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

Trump 2020 yet?

I think there are going to be a lot of Americans that will not want that to happen.  I am willing to bet the turnout for 2020 will break records.

Jan. 31, 2020, 6:05 p.m.

And back then we HAD to hear from Lewinsky. The rules are so slanted for the GOP it is amazing they ever lose. Think about what we witnessed today. It all hinged on what Collins and Murkowski would decide. Senators from 2 states that represent a total of 2 million people. Fuck you California.

Interesting politics that it was Collins who flipped and not Murky.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1223021853616361472

Last edited by: tungsten on Jan. 31, 2020, 6:06 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 1, 2020, 3:31 a.m.

Trump 2020 yet?

I think there are going to be a lot of Americans that will not want that to happen.  I am willing to bet the turnout for 2020 will break records.

Oh that second part we wont have to argue about lol! Voter turnout could exceed total registered voters type of thing amirite?

Feb. 1, 2020, 7:49 a.m.

Trump 2020 yet?

Oh that second part we wont have to argue about lol! Voter turnout could exceed total registered voters type of thing amirite?

Vegas odds?

Feb. 1, 2020, 1:07 p.m.

Trump 2020 yet?

Vegas odds?

Couldnt tell ya.