Trudeau

Oct. 14, 2021, 7:36 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

The labour shortage is not as simple as "people just don't want to work" or "you just don't pay enough". People have moved on from certain jobs.

They (labourers everwhere) on strike!... 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/oct/13/american-workers-general-strike-robert-reich

https://twitter.com/i/status/1448605991826857984

Last edited by: tungsten on Oct. 14, 2021, 7:49 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 14, 2021, 7:42 p.m.

Fuckin love it!  Normal people’s lives get significantly better when workers realize and exercise their power.

Oct. 14, 2021, 7:54 p.m.

Oct. 14, 2021, 9:16 p.m.

I wanna know where all the service workers went.

In my small town, retailers and food service are struggling to stay open due to lack of staff and its not like there are better jobs to go to.

Im even having a hard time finding qualified candidates for really good paying jobs.

Oct. 14, 2021, 10 p.m.

Posted by: three-sheets

In my small town, retailers and food service are struggling to stay open due to lack of staff and its not like there are better jobs to go to.

Im even having a hard time finding qualified candidates for really good paying jobs.

Well there's a common thread there, maybe we should explore that. The first thing is people having to work for you. The second thing is people having to serve you. Maybe the people not taking those jobs aren't the problem...

Oct. 14, 2021, 11:31 p.m.

Lots of the low end service job people have likely moved onto something else.  Or if they didn't really have to work then the aren't.  Big problem in the USA too.

Oct. 15, 2021, 2:28 a.m.

According to this it’s mostly white collar support jobs. Most servers can walk into a job as a Executive assistant, secretary, office manager and not have to deal with the inconsistent scheduling and wages, wear and tear in the body, late hours and high levels of bullshit that comes with serving the public.  Lines up with what I know of my staff that have moved on.  

I know chiefs and cooks that have gotten back on the tools if they have a trade, many of them won’t come back.  This is also a normal pattern but amplified by how bad the rest biz has been and how good the building biz is right now.

Fast casual is taking over in the rest biz, already was with costs skyrocketing and prices getting up there but COVID has just pushed things along I think. I’m probably going to switch to more counter service plus food runners in the next year or so.

https://www.thestar.com/business/2021/10/13/restaurant-workers-fled-to-white-collar-jobs-during-the-pandemic-report-finds.html?rf&fbclid=IwAR0WgswCyUbrBrmNSvjjzdrOY5VvT30Z6r6eB3OfTddxX3-w6KIu0-n6F1Q

Last edited by: tashi on Oct. 15, 2021, 2:30 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 15, 2021, 6:54 a.m.

I was asking a 20 something bartender who grew up here and she sez those service workers got better jobs, so where from I asked but she wasnt real sure , maybe older people who quit ?

Last edited by: XXX_er on Oct. 15, 2021, 6:55 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 15, 2021, 9:16 a.m.

The whole, "The Customer Is Always Right" mantra combined with absolutely random scheduling combined with low pay has decimated the hospitality industry here in Whistler.

This billion dollar resort desperately needs foreign workers who'll come work here for slave wages so a few owners here can buy another helicopter.

Fuck e

Oct. 15, 2021, 10:03 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

Fuckin love it! Normal people’s lives get significantly better when workers realize and exercise their power.

----

For those of us who think that all workers should be able to get decent pay, have decent working conditions, and be treated with respect on the job, the idea that large numbers of workers now feel they can quit jobs they don’t like is really great news. And, the increased labor market power for those at the bottom of the ladder is showing up in higher pay.

In any case, after decades of wage stagnation for those at the middle and the bottom of the wage ladder, it’s good to see some real progress for at least some low-paid workers. The folks who have rigged the economy in their favor so they can get big bucks may not like the fact that it’s harder to get good help, but them’s the breaks.

https://cepr.net/the-high-paid-media-types-are-unhappy-workers-are-getting-higher-pay/

Just gonna' have to pay double for that sandwich, sheets.

$14 an hr in convenience store is double the fed minimum wage down there just shows how greedy/out-of-touch the "folks who rigged the game" actually are.

https://inthesetimes.com/article/strike-wave-john-deere-workers-iatse-hollywood-nurses-miners

Last edited by: tungsten on Oct. 15, 2021, 10:08 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Oct. 18, 2021, 8:19 p.m.

On September 14, a young woman in Louisiana named Beth McGrath posted a selfie Facebook video of herself working at Walmart. Her body language shows a nervous energy as she works up the courage to speak on the intercom and announces her resignation to shoppers. “Everyone here is overworked and underpaid,” she begins, before going on to call out specific managers for inappropriate and abusive behavior. “I hope you don’t speak to your families the way you speak to us,” she said before ending with “fuck this job!”

https://www.counterpunch.org/2021/10/18/why-record-numbers-of-workers-are-quitting-and-striking/

Last edited by: tungsten on Oct. 18, 2021, 8:19 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 12, 2021, 2:56 p.m.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/terry-glavin-dominic-bartons-main-role-in-bringing-the-michaels-home-was-as-a-flight-attendant

Holy fuck this liberal govt. is dirty. I don't know why the lefties love them so much. In bed with China, whose human rights abuses are off the scale,

May 30, 2022, 7:28 p.m.

I hacked into Stuminator's private server and look what was in there...

May 31, 2022, 9:24 a.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/terry-glavin-dominic-bartons-main-role-in-bringing-the-michaels-home-was-as-a-flight-attendant

Holy fuck this liberal govt. is dirty. I don't know why the lefties love them so much. In bed with China, whose human rights abuses are off the scale,

They don't.  This is just what the right says to make everyone think it's not their own stench that keeps them from getting elected.  If the Conservatives would stop looking for inspiration south of the border they would bleed a lot of votes from the Liberals and the NDP could do the same with a more charismatic leader.  Back in the day when the Liberals had the sponsorship scandal the conservatives showed Canadians another reasonable option.  Harper and Layton had no problem making huge gains on the Liberals in 2006.

May 31, 2022, 5:30 p.m.

My private server is way better looking than that & she also has better hair.