Trudeau

Oct. 1, 2021, 7:24 p.m.

My wife owns her own business and during peak Covid ramp up I was a stay at home dad.

When her business opportunities dried up literally overnight thanks to Covid. We had previously done the 1 important thing that everyone talks about; save several months of expenses in case of emergency. I had a job lined up that unfortunately didn't start for several months during this time so we burned through all of that savings with neither of us working.

Without CERB we most likely would have had to move away from Vancouver, give up my job I had lined up, and move back in with either her or my parents. Both at 39. With a 3 year old.

Oct. 1, 2021, 8:55 p.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

Generations to come will be paying for his covid handouts. He made it way to easy for people to collect the benefits who did not need them & should have went back to work. It's commonplace to expect incompetence from him.

what else was JT to do but make it easy for people in need or maybe not so much TO get money and btw I didnt get any

Now at least generations to come will have something to do

you sound like a fucking old man

Last edited by: XXX_er on Oct. 1, 2021, 8:59 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Oct. 2, 2021, 11:12 a.m.

Family vacation in Tofino on the 1st Truth and Reconciliation Day, smooth Justin, real smooth. Does anyone actually like him anymore?

Oct. 2, 2021, 12:19 p.m.

did anyone ever like him in recent memory ?

JT  is still anyone but whomever is running the cons

Oct. 2, 2021, 12:24 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Family vacation in Tofino on the 1st Truth and Reconciliation Day, smooth Justin, real smooth. Does anyone actually like him anymore?

At this point I have to wonder about the sycophants he has installed around him.  Did no one say, ‘you know JT, the optics on this Tofino trip are going to be pretty terrible…. maybe we push that trip out a few days?’

Oct. 2, 2021, 1:25 p.m.

Poor optics for sure but maybe he is not running again and doesnt give a fuck cuz

JT really can't do anything without someone complaining

Oct. 2, 2021, 6:10 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

Poor optics for sure but maybe he is not running again and doesnt give a fuck cuz

JT really can't do anything without someone complaining

This is true. A lot of people really dislike him and he really cannot win no matter what he does. He really likes this whole "I'm not going to take lessons...." or "I'm not going to have someone tell me..." these days. It's such a divergence from the inclusive understanding persona he was going for 5 years ago. I think his true colours are on full display and no ones buying the "great leader" shtick he was trying to sell in the beginning.

It's odd that he can get dressed up in orange for this family vacation but he cannot show up to an event yesterday with an orange shirt on. I wish we had some better options.

Oct. 2, 2021, 6:40 p.m.

Maybe get your glasses. I did not knock teh CERB. I said he made it way too easy for people who didn't need it, to collect it. There were also lots of people who should have went back to work once it was possible to do so.

Oct. 2, 2021, 7:18 p.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

Posted by: RAHrider

At this point I have to wonder about the sycophants he has installed around him.  Did no one say, ‘you know JT, the optics on this Tofino trip are going to be pretty terrible…. maybe we push that trip out a few days?’

Seriously.

I used to call him a puppet, but now it seems he's pulling the strings.

Oct. 2, 2021, 8:58 p.m.

Posted by: Stuminator,

Maybe get your glasses. I did not knock teh CERB. I said he made it way too easy for people who didn't need it, to collect it. There were also lots of people who should have went back to work once it was possible to do so.

So how do you weed out those millions of people and keep in mind it had to be done really fast in like days or weeks ?

Future Canadians can pay for it,   again that which I did not qualify for SO there were at least some restrictions that worked

Oct. 5, 2021, 1 p.m.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2021/10/05/trudeaus-parliamentary-victory-may-cost-him-the-next-elections/

Ramzy Baroud is a journalist and the Editor of The Palestine Chronicle. He is the author of five books. His latest is “These Chains Will Be Broken: Palestinian Stories of Struggle and Defiance in Israeli Prisons” (Clarity Press, Atlanta). Dr. Baroud is a Non-resident Senior Research Fellow at the Center for Islam and Global Affairs (CIGA), Istanbul Zaim University (IZU). His website is www.ramzybaroud.net

Oct. 14, 2021, 10:39 a.m.

OCTOBER 14, 2021

Canada Then and Now

BY HOWARD LISNOFF

When I read the account (“Canada invited Chelsea Manning to country just so she could be thrown out”, Guardian, October 7, 2021) of the planned removal of Chelsea Manning from Canada, should she show up at a hearing in Montreal, I thought of how welcoming Canada had been to war resisters during the Vietnam War.

Manning is the whistleblower who leaked documents to WikiLeaks about the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, was sentenced to 35 years in prison for her admirable actions and released in 2017 by then-President Barack Obama. If a person attempts to enter Canada for an offense that may have been punishable by a sentence of 10 years or more, that person can be barred from entry into Canada and thrown out of the country.

Canada has been the stepchild of US policy, both foreign, domestic, and especially economic. While a somewhat more liberal Western Europe social order is present in Canada, its proximity to the US has often cast Canada in the subservient role to the dictates of US policy.

In 1969, at the height of the Vietnam War (the US war had begun in 1964 and would end in 1975), Canada was the refuge of countless numbers of men and women who resisted that war through either draft or military resistance and were often accompanied by significant others or friends. A Trudeau, Pierre, was the prime minister of Canada, as is a Trudeau now, Justin. But times have changed and so dramatically in some ways that the differences between the US and Canada seem less than they have ever been. Canada often supports US hegemony over the globe. Canada’s dependence on fossil fuel production and its treatment of its indigenous citizens is nearly a mirror-like reflection of the US.

In April 1969, a relative and I headed north to Canada from New England on a school vacation. I had just returned from basic and advanced training in the army and wanted to visit some people who had emigrated to Canada in resistance to the Vietnam War.

Canada was such a welcoming place then that I have great difficulty imagining a political climate in which they could lure a heroic whistleblower to the same city we visited decades ago intending to eject that person from the country.

That the world was objectively different in some ways in 1969 was evident in Montreal. We left the campus of McGill University, where I had been accepted as a graduate student in 1969, but did not go, and walked a few blocks to a housing clearinghouse. Through that facility, we received a number of referrals that allowed us to stay with hosts in private residences during our stay in the city. Not to discount the ease with which people interacted, we found the same sense of camaraderie when we returned to the US several days later and were housed at a private residence in Portland, Maine. The world was not perfect during that era, but it was certainly a more welcoming place. Try to imagine the same simple acceptance that we found in those days to today and it would be like awakening to a nightmare where everything is commodified and suspicion is rampant.

Critics may say that it’s unfounded nostalgia to glorify the past, but that is not the intent here. Those who bucked the government were treated harshly in both eras, then and now, but there was something that the poet Kenneth Rexroth, writing of yet another era, said in “Fish Peddler and Cobbler”: “Something invisible was gone”.

Howard Lisnoff is a freelance writer. He is the author of Against the Wall: Memoir of a Vietnam-Era War Resister (2017).

Oct. 14, 2021, 12:49 p.m.

I got a buddy who told me he lost his draft exception within 2 weeks of being involved in anti war activity in California cuz they were watching and taking names. He didnt say ( they never do) but i think he was a draft dodger, sez he identifys as Canadian, ends up working with the kool aid society in Vancover in the late 60's hippy era, a bit of  a political animal who seemed to know or know of every lefty politician you could name ever since, who did a lot dope, who did a lot of acid and it sounded like they were all a bunch of dopers .

Last edited by: XXX_er on Oct. 14, 2021, 12:51 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Oct. 14, 2021, 3:13 p.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

Not everything I'm posting here is relevant to your post but it's a good jumping off point.

In my industry aprox. 250,000 people nationally have left the industry and are unlikely to return.  As well, we've had numerous people start for day shifts and then realize that their childcare situation won't allow them to be reliable and they've had to quit.  Childcare is a fucking mess right now; personally any other employer would have fired me or I would have had quit by now due to how unreliable childcare is right now.  I know nurses that can't afford to work because flexible childcare is unavailable or far too expensive.

In my experience being open the entire pandemic aside from the first two months; hiring the entire time, is that the incentive to stay on CERB was gone by the end of summer 2020, and even that was just for the lowest quality employee.  Anyone worth hiring makes far more working than they can on CERB, even when you could work and collect at the same time.  All my returning staff were keen to return to work and keep working as soon as we were allowed to by law.  (Except for the ones who decided they were done with the shitty public; I lost some very good people because of this.)

The labour shortage is not as simple as "people just don't want to work" or "you just don't pay enough".  People have moved on from certain jobs.  Folks don't want to deal with the shitty public (they're shitty, some asshole put a ping pong table through my front glass the other day because we couldn't serve him without his vax pass).  People have to care for their kids.  Some people are at risk if they work in public.

In my experience, quickly shoving money out the door in the form of the combination of CERB, rent and wage subsidies (once they got that directly to the renters) is what's kept my family business alive, my staff working, and my families lifestyle intact  Expensive yes, but very necessary and based on what I see in rich countries that have let their people basically go it alone (America) probably better for the economy and public health.  I'm fine with some waste.  It's basically applying the argument that it's cheaper to pay welfare to keep someone from totally hitting the skids than it is to save that welfare money and make them rebuild to the entire population.

Oct. 14, 2021, 3:42 p.m.

^^^ that's some better nuance that sits between those two original posts.

I agree with Stu that it would have been nice to waste within those programs limited (are there numbers on how much it was?), but it's also import to recognize that getting subsidies out to people in the quickest and most efficient manner means there is going to be waste. Trying to set up and develop a program with many checks any balances to limit the waste would have increased the costs of the program and also stretched out the timeframe significantly, so the actualized loss probably sits somewhere in the middle of those two numbers. If we shelled out an extra 250mil or so at the end of it all that's just one of those social costs we'll all need to bear. Considering the federal budgets over the previous decade have been around 300 billion, a loss of 250 million or 0.08% of the total budget is not a great tragedy in the grand scheme of things.