Trudeau

March 11, 2019, 7:15 p.m.

a family infamous around the world for murder, torture, rape, abductions, and widespread human rights abuses, 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=91&v=umRRGXS2LG4

March 11, 2019, 8:21 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

So while I didn't vote for the Liberal brand recent events still looks like Scheer lunacy from my keyboard the tail wagging the dog , she WAS definatley lobbied hard for (BTW for which she is making large coin ) but even JWR admits likely no laws were broken,

SO she gets pissed, forgets what its all about (the Liberal party getting & keeping power) and thro's the pm/leader of the liberal party under the bus

look at all the action and tell me how this kind of drama would this play out if you pulled this shit where YOU work ?

the threads title is Trudeau, yes he got his cock stuck in his zipper on this one but SNC Lavelin happened on the conservative watch

Call me a cunt, then ask me what I think then completely ignore all of it.

Situation normal.

March 11, 2019, 10:54 p.m.

You are talking about something that happened yars ago starting in the conservative gov

while I am talking about the actions of some misbehaving  liberal cabinet ministers in the last month

I didn't call you a cunt i merely pointed out you were choosing to act like a cunt

seemingly on purpose which is entirely different,

in any case its not too late to change your ways

Last edited by: XXX_er on March 11, 2019, 11:15 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
March 12, 2019, 9:37 a.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

This shit is beyond fucked.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2019/03/08/analysis/hidden-key-snc-lavalin-scandal

For 16 years the global engineering and construction giant SNC-Lavalin cultivated a close relationship with the Muammar Gaddafi family, particularly his son Saadi.

According to criminal charges, for almost a decade of that period, up until the fall of the regime, SNC paid Saadi Gaadafi almost $50 million in exchange for billions of dollars in airport, pipeline, and water infrastructure projects.

Oh, and prisons.

Let's go over that again.

A Canadian company is charged with bribing a family infamous around the world for murder, torture, rape, abductions, and widespread human rights abuses, and doing it for its own profit. They didn't stop until the regime collapsed in 2011 and Swiss authorities came knocking. Charges were laid in April 2015.

Because of corruption's profoundly oppressive impact on the Libyan people, the SNC-Libya charges are vastly more serious even than the McGill hospital bribery scandal, in which SNC paid bribes of $22.5 million to secure the contract.

A Canadian company is being charged for bribery.  That's it.  Cozying up to the Gaddafi family and building infrastructure projects for the ruthless regime was completely legal.  Whether or not Canadian companies should even be working in these parts of the world is an entire conversation in itself, but I think saying it is OK to work there as long as there is no bribery is wishful thinking.  Every project will require some level of bribery to obtain contracts from the big players down to the small sub-contractors.  There are certain countries where you can be sure 100% that any large project was obtained by paying off the right people.  I am not saying this is right, and I could give 2 shits if SNC went under tomorrow, but we either need to outright ban all Western companies from doing work there or just go nuts because the current system only rewards those best at hiding their tracks and does nothing to make the Gaddafi's honest gentlemen.  The problem is that it is really hard to clamp down like that when the bad actor country in question has soooooo much oil.

As for Trudeau, I still can't find much animosity towards him for trying to keep SNC in Montreal.  I am much more pissed off about JT kissing Alberta's ass over the tar sands and reneging on election reform.

March 12, 2019, 10:29 a.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

You are talking about something that happened yars ago starting in the conservative gov

while I am talking about the actions of some misbehaving  liberal cabinet ministers in the last month

I didn't call you a cunt i merely pointed out you were choosing to act like a cunt

seemingly on purpose which is entirely different,

in any case its not too late to change your ways

Call me a cunt, then ask me what I think then completely ignore all of it.

Situation normal.

March 12, 2019, 10:30 a.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

A Canadian company is being charged for bribery. That's it.

[Brushes hands]

You can all thank me later.

Last edited by: ReductiMat on March 12, 2019, 10:30 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 13, 2019, 3:29 p.m.

Legal Issues

SNC-Lavalin's management teams have been investigated in a number of allegations under the Corruption of Foreign Public Officials Act regarding contracts beginning with the SNC-Lavalin Kerala hydroelectric dam scandal (1995–2008)[49] through to the allegations involving the bribing of Libyan officials between 2001 and 2011.[50].[50]
SNC-Lavalin Kerala hydroelectric dam scandal (1995–2008)
Main article: SNC-Lavalin Kerala hydroelectric scandal

SNC-Lavalin won a large infrastructure contract to renovate and modernize hydro electric power stations with the Indian government in 1995 which resulted in an alleged net loss to the Indian exchequer of 3745.0 million rupees.[41][51], but led to no charges against the firm. SNC was subsequently accused of bribery and financial fraud related to the contract in 2008. A government investigation resulted in the expulsion of several Indian government officials.[52]
Montreal's Jacques-Cartier bridge (early 2000s)

According to a February 1, 2019, article in La Presse Quebec prosecutors with Directeur des poursuites criminelles et pénales [fr] (DPCP) are cooperating with RCMP in an investigation called Agrafe 2[26] on potential criminal charges against SNC-Lavalin, concerning a contract in the early 2000s to repair Montreal's Jacques Cartier Bridge.[25][Notes 3][26]
Libya (2011)

A 2012 CBC News report, said that the first reports of murky affairs surfaced against the company in 2010 in relation to contracts in Libya.[6] According to a CBC News article, a Libyan bribery and fraud scandal involving crimes that took place from 2001-2011 led to charges in "connection with payments of nearly $48 million" to Libyan public officials.[53] In the same article, it was reported that the company was also accused of "defrauding Libyan organizations of an estimated $130 million".[53][50]

In 2015, SNC-Lavelin was charged with bribing Libyan officials in exchange for construction contracts between 2001 and 2011.[50] In 2011, the RCMP began their investigation called Project Assistance which was triggered by a tip from Swiss authorities.[54] According to an August 8, 2013 Financial Post article, Michael Novak who, had been the head of SNC International, had signed "several of the contracts between SNC and "unknown commercial consultants to help win contracts" for "work in Africa".[55][56] This included a contract with former Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi's controversial government.[57] By the summer of 2013, police alleged that the "unknown commercial consultants" had never existed and that Ben Aissa had "set up shell companies so he could pocket the [$56 million] himself".[56][58] By July 2014, Aissa was jailed in Switzerland for "suspicion of corruption, fraud and money-laundering in North Africa".[59][60][Notes 4] When SNC-Lavalin pulled out of Libya in 2011, it left behind $22.9 million in Libyan banks.[61] In 2013, Roy filed a countersuit for wrongful dismissal, claiming lost wages and damages to his reputation, alleging that he had been framed and scapegoated by higher-level executives whose directives he was obliged to follow.[62][63][64][65][Notes 5]

By February 2012, SNC investors had found out that audited financial statements had been delayed to accommodate an internal review relating to SNC's operations. The internal review probed $35 million of unexplained payments in Libya. Prior to the launch of the investigation, there had been months-long media speculation about the company's work in Libya and its ties to the Muammar Gaddafi family.[66][67][68] In 2012, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police investigated the company on these charges in the Project Assistance investigation and,[69] in 2015, they charged SNC-Lavalin with "fraud and corruption", which the company indicated they would contest in court.[70]
McGill University; the Arthur Porter kick-back scandal (2011–2014)

Charges were laid against senior executives from 2014 through 2019 in the bribery cases involving Arthur Porter at the McGill University Health Centre. According to a 2012 article in The Globe and Mail, these reports prompted calls for Canada to tighten bribery laws.[71]

According to the National Post, SNC-Lavalin employees allegedly were involved in fraud and forgery in relation to a $22.5 million kick-back described as "consulting fees" to Dr. Arthur Porter[72][Notes 6] on the contract to build the new $1.3 billion hospital at the McGill University Health Centre's CEO in violation of the Quebec Health Act. SNC-Lavalin were awarded the contract even though they were outbid by $60 million.[36] The case led to an investigation by the Charbonneau Commission. Porter resigned from the post on December 5, 2011 in light of substantial public pressure.[73][74][75] Porter was arrested in Panama on fraud charges on May 27, 2013, which alleged that he took part in the kick-back scheme.[76] The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation called it the biggest fraud investigation in Canadian history.[77][78] SNC CEO, Pierre Duhaime in March 2012,[79][6][80] Duhaime was arrested on fraud charges by Quebec authorities on November 28, 2012.[81][82][Notes 7][Notes 8][83]
Padma Bridge (since 2011)

An investigation into an alleged graft related to 2011 bids for the construction of the 6.51 kilometre (four-mile) USD$3 billion road—rail bridge crossing the Padma River in Bangladesh,[84] resulted in the former SNC-Lavelin employees being cleared of all charges by a Canadian court. In May 2011, two former SNC-Lavalin International Inc. (SLII) employees Ramesh Shah and Mohammad Ismail met government officials in Bangladesh to discuss a bid for the $50-million supervision contract to build the Padma Bridge, a project estimated to be worth USD$3 billion.[49] Part of the allegations were related to SLII common practice of list project consultancy costs (PCC), also known as project commercial cost, as a line item in internal budgets documents related to the bidding process.[49][Notes 9][49] As a result of the original investigation by World Bank investigators who worked with RCMP officers, in September 2013, the World Bank blacklisted SNC-Lavalin and its affiliates from bidding on the World Bank's global projects.[85] The World Bank had originally offered to fund $1.5 billion of the $3 billion but pulled back following the allegations. However, on February 11, 2017, the Ontario Superior Court found no proof of the Padma bridge bribery conspiracy, dismissed the case, and acquitted the ex-SNC-Lavalin executives.[86] According to the Dhaka Tribune, Justice Ian Nordheimer rebuked the Canadian police, saying: "Reduced to its essentials, the information provided in the [wiretap applications] was nothing more than speculation, gossip, and rumor."[86]
SaskPower serious design flaws (2015)

In 2015, internal documents from SaskPower (the crown corporation that is the principal electric utility in Saskatchewan, Canada), revealed that there were "serious design issues" in the carbon capture and storage system at its coal-fired Boundary Dam Power Station, resulting in regular breakdowns and maintenance problems that caused the unit to be operational only 40% of the time. SNC-Lavalin had been contracted to engineer, procure, and build the facility, and the documents asserted that it "has neither the will or the ability to fix some of these fundamental flaws".[87] The low productivity of the plant had in turn meant that SaskPower was only able to sell half of the 800,000 tonnes of captured carbon dioxide that it had contracted to sell to Cenovus Energy for use in enhanced oil recovery at a cost of $25 per tonne. In addition to the lost sales, this meant that SaskPower had been forced to pay Cenovus $12 million in penalties.[88] In 2017, Cenovus sold its Saskatchewan operations to Whitecap Resources.[89] By September 2018, "SaskPower and SNC-Lavalin had completed mediation and were headed to binding arbitration".[53] In July 2018, SaskPower announced in their annual report that that would not be proceeding with retrofitting the two aging facilities near Estevan—Boundary Dams 4 and 5 (BD4 and BD5) with carbon capture and storage (CCS).[90] According to a February 11, 2019 CBC News article, SNC-Lavalin has "received about $765,800,000 in [Saskatchewan provincial] government contracts from 2009 to 2018".[53]

Check the time lines ^^ if you want but it looks like the whole snc thing happened on the harper watch

in any case the title of the thread is " Trudeau " so enough of discussing the Harper government (yes it used to be the canadian gov he changed it to the Harper gov ) accomplishments in the Trudeau thread

So while Trudeaus handling of the clusterfuck he was left is yet to be determined it doesnt look good largely due to JRW's attempt to thro the PM under the bus. Which does not help JT or the liberal brand ( I didn't vote liberal ) in an election year so while JRW might have gone on to bigger things in the Liberal party, certainly deputy PM or even PM someday, I believe JWR is now persona-non-grata in the liberal party cuz who of the party faithful will trust her ? So even if JWR is allowed back into the liberal caucus she will disappear to the back benches

Yes, I regularly subscribe to that whacko news org the CBC news and I regularly quote wiki

Last edited by: XXX_er on March 13, 2019, 3:30 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 13, 2019, 4:39 p.m.

And then after leaving office, the Harper government made this happen:

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2019/03/11/news/snc-lavalin-announced-confidential-deal-feds-four-days-after-trudeaus-first-throne

Will they stoop to no lows?  Why does everything think the Liberal party of Canada has anything to do with this?!  I weep at night at the troubles Trudeau and Morneau are going through right now.  They've done nothing to deserve this.

March 15, 2019, 8:17 p.m.

So my friends, do you concede your favourite party are killing children?

It's up to us to make this better.

March 15, 2019, 8:18 p.m.

* I agree children running around a restaurant are hellspawn, but still...

March 21, 2019, 9:23 a.m.

So who is your "favourite" party RM?  If it is up to us to make it better, what would step one be?

March 21, 2019, 6 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgGfrqdp7gw

Pretty funny, but true.

March 21, 2019, 6:19 p.m.

So who is your "favourite" party RM?  If it is up to us to make it better, what would step one be?

We've had this dance at least five times.

March 22, 2019, 9:57 a.m.

I remember asking you to dance a few times, but can't recall you actually hitting the floor.

March 22, 2019, 11:08 a.m.

I remember asking you to dance a few times, but can't recall you actually hitting the floor.

Then you should get your recaller fixed.

It always goes something like this:

You then simply state I'm naive.

It doesn't make for gripping TV.