Trudeau

March 12, 2018, 9:55 a.m.

Posted by: KenN

Good discussion on the environmental disaster that is the tar sands ....

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2018/03/06/analysis/theres-some-good-news-about-canadas-2020-climate-target

Because the Chinese lithium mines that power your cars are a world class example of environmental protection...

March 12, 2018, 11 a.m.

Lithium is generally contained in brine water pumped from underground and dried in ponds.  The remaining salts are refined to extract the lithium.  There is really no "mining" involved at all.  In China, the primary source of lithium is from Lake Zabuye, a salt lake.  Worldwide, most lithium comes from South American brine deposits.

http://www.lithiummine.com/lithium-mining-in-china

So you are correct.  All lithium "mines", including those in China, are world class examples of environmental protection and orders of magnitude cleaner than anything in the tar sands.

Sorry to fuck up your misinformation with facts.

March 12, 2018, 7:44 p.m.

Posted by: KenN

http://www.businessinsider.com/solar-power-cheaper-than-fossil-fuels-2017-5

And here we go down an über-dam rabbit hole.

March 13, 2018, 12:28 p.m.

Wasn't this thread created so we could all cherish our handsome savior?  Or not?

How Kinder Morgan Could Make Trudeau a One-Term PM

I am curious to know how this fight relates to votes outside of BC/AB.

Jan. 14, 2019, 12:17 p.m.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/01/14/the-tears-of-justin-trudeau/

Jan. 14, 2019, 12:43 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Reading the first few lines of that perfectly illustrates to me why Counterpunch cannot be considered a worthy news source as the inflammatory tone of the article is of the same value of what you see in the National Enquirer and other supermarket tabloids.

Jan. 14, 2019, 1:07 p.m.

Not sure where this thread but Trudoh!'s got to go!

Jan. 16, 2019, 8:33 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Reading the first few lines of that perfectly illustrates to me why Counterpunch cannot be considered a worthy news source as the inflammatory tone of the article is of the same value of what you see in the National Enquirer and other supermarket tabloids.

So, trash the whole web site because you take issue with the first paragraph of one essay?

It's worth pointing out that he ain't a local and may take direction for goings on up here in the wild west (my brother pointed out years ago that B.C. was one of the few places left in north amerika where the rape of land and people continues, unabated) from some entity like, say, West Coast Environmental Law... https://www.wcel.org/ ...who said:

Like many Canadians, we’ve been extremely troubled by the use of aggressive RCMP force to remove Wet’suwet’en land defenders from peacefully occupying their territory.

So forgive him if he was led astray by Canadian drama queens. But you can relate, right?

Not sure where this thread but Trudoh!'s got to go!

He's as bad as Trump, in an Obummer kind of way.

Last edited by: tungsten on Jan. 16, 2019, 8:35 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 17, 2019, 8:57 a.m.

Jan. 17, 2019, 9:06 a.m.

WTF Kentucky?

Jan. 17, 2019, 10:52 a.m.

"Like many Canadians, we’ve been extremely troubled by the use of aggressive RCMP force to remove Wet’suwet’en land defenders from peacefully occupying their territory."

Then who sicked the RCMP Swat team with assault rifles wearing the fatigues on the Unistolten ? Trudeau wants the pipelines and so does Horgan so they chose to ignore the big NO from the hereditary chiefs and claim an agreement signed with band councils who have no say in the territories is lawful, anyone can read the ruling on-line welcome to Delga muuk II  ... so much bulshit

Jan. 18, 2019, 1:59 p.m.

The RCMP responded by enforcing an injunction on behalf of the BC Supreme court.  So it wasn't the feds if that is what you are implying, but I do see your point on the legitimacy of the agreement.  I don't see how they cannot hold their own Wet’suwet’en elected council to blame here just as much as anyone else since they signed the agreement in the first place.  They were also elected by their people.  It seems to me they need to work on their own governance here

Jan. 18, 2019, 9:26 p.m.

Good questions

beyond the obvious court action which would have given the reason for the implementation of the court decision, who sicked the RCMP on the Wetsueten, was it the BC gov or the feds by proxy or WTF ?

according to a bud who is very close to the action, this is not playing well with the Wetsueten people, this is like an act of war for the wetsueten, they feel this is bad for the land (they really feel this) and I would say this whole thing is not over

to answer your question why put up with band councils, back in the day the band councils were foisted on the FN BY THE GOVERNMENT to run the band which is basicaly the res

so  the band council has zero to do with how the Wetsueten actualy run their territories, if you are talking to a band chief whatever deal you got signed means SHIT, cuz only hereditary chiefs have any say in running 122000 square kms of territory

but industry makes the deal with band council cuz its way easier and cheaper so historicaly Industry will thro around a little money (beads and blankets so to speak) make a deal with a band council instead of the real consultation with the hereditary chiefs,  industry can then say they got a deal

In this case the courts enforced an injunction on a deal which the band councils had no business signing

Consider the present situation is not really about a pipeline, its about a landclaim that was settled 20 yars ago so there is already precident in law

guess who will win ... again ?

Jan. 18, 2019, 10:37 p.m.

So, trash the whole web site because you take issue with the first paragraph of one essay?

not just that one essay, as typically i find the reporting to be inflammatory anytime I've had a peek. maybe that's just an effect of the articles you link to though?

Jan. 21, 2019, 4:28 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

Good questions

beyond the obvious court action which would have given the reason for the implementation of the court decision, who sicked the RCMP on the Wetsueten, was it the BC gov or the feds by proxy or WTF ?

according to a bud who is very close to the action, this is not playing well with the Wetsueten people, this is like an act of war for the wetsueten, they feel this is bad for the land (they really feel this) and I would say this whole thing is not over

to answer your question why put up with band councils, back in the day the band councils were foisted on the FN BY THE GOVERNMENT to run the band which is basicaly the res

so  the band council has zero to do with how the Wetsueten actualy run their territories, if you are talking to a band chief whatever deal you got signed means SHIT, cuz only hereditary chiefs have any say in running 122000 square kms of territory

but industry makes the deal with band council cuz its way easier and cheaper so historicaly Industry will thro around a little money (beads and blankets so to speak) make a deal with a band council instead of the real consultation with the hereditary chiefs,  industry can then say they got a deal

In this case the courts enforced an injunction on a deal which the band councils had no business signing

Consider the present situation is not really about a pipeline, its about a landclaim that was settled 20 yars ago so there is already precident in law

guess who will win ... again ?

I don't think you need an inside scoop to know that having their decade long blockade removed would not sit well with many of their people, but this is not an "act of war" because there will never actually be a war.  I never asked why they put up with the band councils, I asked why they are not part of the responsibility seeing as they are members of their community and made deals that they shouldn't have.  Does this not make them equally culpable?  It doesn't matter that the government forced them to have a council, the fact is that the people vote for who is on that council. 

I tend to think that this project is on very shaky ground legally, as I said earlier, but it also seems to me that between the Chiefs, the council and the people, this agreement could have never seen the light of day and that power is 100% within their community.  I don't even want this pipeline, but I find it hard to accept that the court ruling on their title to the land is sacred, but the court ruling to remove the blockade is a sham and the work of the Liberals.