Trudeau

Nov. 11, 2017, 12:33 a.m.

To all the voters out there, do you ever ask yourself, "if I were to vote for the status quo, what would the opposite look like?"

The two options you believe you have are the same.

Nov. 14, 2017, 11:42 a.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

To all the voters out there, do you ever ask yourself, "if I were to vote for the status quo, what would the opposite look like?"

The two options you believe you have are the same.

No, they are not.  Is Trump the same as Hillary?  They are not the same, but believing that they were is what lead to POTUS Trump.  The differences may not be stark, but there are always differences and some of them are important.  Weed will be legal next year.  Would it be with more Harper?  Of course not.  

I think people should demand more from the government, but they can't expect the country to change overnight either.  Most change worth fighting for takes generations and it starts at the bottom.

Nov. 14, 2017, 12:06 p.m.

Yes, in the grand scheme of things, they are the same.

We can redo the same conversation we had a few weeks ago if you'd like.

Nov. 14, 2017, 2:22 p.m.

I don't want to have it again, but you keep saying the same thing and pulling me back in.

Tell me, if you could have your way and create a party from scratch, what would you have them do differently?

Nov. 14, 2017, 2:51 p.m.

If I created a party, everything I've said to date would be suspect.

Concentrating power is a very bad thing.  It is why very little changes.  When that concentrated power gets to sit at the head of the largest countries in the world for prolonged periods of time, you get what you got today, along with 90% of the people insulting each other on why "their" party is the right one as they slide towards serfdom.

Nov. 14, 2017, 7:31 p.m.

Po rep, man. That's the answer, uh huh, uh huh.......

Nov. 15, 2017, 9:27 a.m.

If I created a party, everything I've said to date would be suspect.

Concentrating power is a very bad thing.  It is why very little changes.  When that concentrated power gets to sit at the head of the largest countries in the world for prolonged periods of time, you get what you got today, along with 90% of the people insulting each other on why "their" party is the right one as they slide towards serfdom.

Sure, but where is the power concentrated?  I would say in the hands of those that control the largest corporations and they don't need the political power to be concentrated because they have to means to affect the decisions of hundreds and thousands of people at once.  If we did away with the parties tomorrow it wouldn't have much of an effect other than it might get a bit trickier sorting out who will vote for what.  I often use the sailing ship analogy with the country, but through corporate-friendly legislation, it is more like a train, and it doesn't matter who is in the engineer's seat, they don't get to steer.  IMO, there are only 2 options, keep demanding more democracy and pressure our elected officials to go after corporate influence or wait for the revolution.  If I were to resign to the idea that the parties are all the same I only have the second option and that is a very long wait.

Keep voting, keep informed, reward good behaviour, punish bad, and most importantly, don't become a party cheerleader.

Nov. 15, 2017, 1:43 p.m.

Where is the power concentrated?  Who knowsImpossible to sayWish there was a search engine to help me.

There's some cool-whip in our parties.

Nov. 15, 2017, 9:41 p.m.

And isn't it awesome how we have two "very different" parties both bowing down to the defense lobby? The only tangible difference is one paying lip service to the resultant refugees of our policy.

If the Liberal's weren't just your rank and file career politicians and had some actual acumen towards running a business they'd include a few free Canadian passports that'd spring forth from the aftermath of the arms we sell to despots. At least the PC's were clear in that they hate non-whites.

Last edited by: ReductiMat on Nov. 15, 2017, 9:58 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 16, 2017, 9:14 a.m.

I am not claiming that they are very different or awesome, just that they are not the same.  This is the apathy on the left that gave us Trump.  In America, the entrenched corporate interests are off the charts in both parties, but they are still not the same party.  This attitude only exists on the left, which leaves the right with the ability to win more elections than the politics of the people would suggest because they see it very differently.

At any rate, a field of independent MPs is a pipe dream, so I don't think your hopes are any more likely to happen than mine.

Nov. 18, 2017, 6:53 p.m.

I've never asked if they were semantically the same.  One is red, one is blue.  End of story.

I asked if there was a measurable difference between the two over the course of four hundred years.  The answer is no.  They are beholden to their party and the people and institutions who give them money to continue.  The people who run under their banner may, for a few weeks at least, believe they will represent their constituents but time has proved that is a lie.

The animosity towards Trump, while understood, is a farce insomuch that anyone could see this coming a mile away.  "My team is better than yours, YOU ARE STUPID FOR BELIEVING YOUR TEAM IS BETTER THAN MINE".  Honestly, I'm with you in that I can't believe that strategy hasn't worked for either side.

Finally, I don't have pipe dreams.  I point out what is wrong and plan for the worst.  You're all pretty dumb for voting for these sociopaths, but fortunately I'm prepared.

Nov. 18, 2017, 7:48 p.m.

While I typically abhor predictions, I can say with near certainty that Bernie would have beaten Trump.

I get at least five or six smugs out of that.

Nov. 22, 2017, 3:25 p.m.

Good 'ol Liberal's kicking the can down the road..

http://www.news1130.com/2017/11/22/liberals-pour-billions-affordable-housing/

Fixing a non-supply-side issue with more supply.

Nov. 22, 2017, 5:12 p.m.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-22/canadian-ceos-urge-trudeau-to-back-pacific-rim-trade-pact

Oh if only measuring psychopathy were as easy as using a metre stick.  Not going to lie, I'm holding a bit of probably false confidence we may have sent competent people to these talks (at least relative to our exiting American neighbours).

When I reached out to my Liberal MLA on my reservations on the TPP, she informed me I'm a country bumpkin and should just shut up.  I suspect if I were to send the same email today she would agree with me whole-heartedly.

Nov. 22, 2017, 7:09 p.m.

fortunately I'm prepared.

You have a fallout shelter? Cool!