truck questions - 4x4 vs. 4x2, etc.

Jan. 2, 2011, 11:56 p.m.

WHY WHY WHY isn't there a NA turbo diesal quad cab compact pick up available!!!!

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Jan. 3, 2011, 1:20 a.m.

I assume people do this simply because of the pre-electronics diesel engines that they can fix MacGyver-style in the middle of nowhere? Otherwise a 15+ year old imported Hilux seems like an awfully small pickup for quite a bit of money. The Land Cruiser they've got in stock looks great for its age, but I can buy a 3 year old 4runner for the same money. I don't get the JDM import thing, but that's probably because I've never been an offroad guy.

It has nothing to do with offroading.

- Reliable engine
- Exceptional mileage
- Indestructible chassis (just watch that sweet top gear episode)

You think the nissan or toyota king cabs have more room? Nope. The quad cabs do, but they are now the same size as big boy pickups and get worse fuel economy than their V8 brethren.

This pretty much goes for any comparison between N.A. and non-N.A. vehicles. We get royally screwed with shitty trucks that suck gas and go 15% faster. You can bet that my next vehicle will be powered by a direct injected diesel plant and sport an Asian badge. Sure it'll be 20 years older, but it will outlast that Ford Ranger by another 20 years. End rant.

On that note. I would love to have a SUV powered by a 4bdt1. When the nuclear holocaust hits, that engine will still be running.

Jan. 3, 2011, 5:27 a.m.

it's pretty sad that all you know how to do is gay bash in a pathetic attempt at humor.

My 20 watt brainbulb says quit being so sensitive.

Pastor of Muppets

Jan. 3, 2011, 7:20 a.m.

It has nothing to do with offroading.

- Reliable engine
- Exceptional mileage
- Indestructible chassis (just watch that sweet top gear episode)

You think the nissan or toyota king cabs have more room? Nope. The quad cabs do, but they are now the same size as big boy pickups and get worse fuel economy than their V8 brethren.

This pretty much goes for any comparison between N.A. and non-N.A. vehicles. We get royally screwed with shitty trucks that suck gas and go 15% faster. You can bet that my next vehicle will be powered by a direct injected diesel plant and sport an Asian badge. Sure it'll be 20 years older, but it will outlast that Ford Ranger by another 20 years. End rant.

On that note. I would love to have a SUV powered by a 4bdt1. When the nuclear holocaust hits, that engine will still be running.

dunno - toyota chasis were and still are very destructable - though their druvetrains are great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJZVUnOduH4

Jan. 3, 2011, 7:29 a.m.

The Hilux would be a very good option, but its missing out on one thing and that's a long box. I think Mark already said he wanted a 6' box (like any sane dude) not something the size of a trunk without a lid.

Audi Allroad? Money pit? I remeber a few years back I really wanted one of those until I read up on them. One of the worst in terms of reliability, and that's just not little things. We're talking about major drivetrain failures.

Full size 1/2 ton trucks are a good way to go, but no manual option. A lot of those automatics will fail, sometimes sooner rather than later. It doesn't matter which brand either. Parking them, at times, can be beyotch. Even though the smaller trucks have roughly the same mileage, a slightly more nimble truck wins out if that's a priority.

Jan. 3, 2011, 7:31 a.m.

Sure it'll be 20 years older, but it will outlast that Ford Ranger by another 20 years. End rant.

That's just a big crock of shit.

Jan. 3, 2011, 8:25 a.m.

What about a Ford Transit Connect? They're like mini Sprinters in every sense (size, price, power, fuel consumption, etc).

I have a Rav4 in addition to the Taco and I can say the truck really is much, much better suited to fire roads. It isn't what you see and what you plan for that'll take out a Rav/All Road/Subie, rather it's what you miss. On one of my last shuttles of the year I was dodging 2 medium pot holes and managed to smack 1 big one. In a lesser vehicle I would have broken a ball joint or something. The Taco made it through unscathed.

That said, when driving FSRs in Nelson this summer we used my buddy's 2000 Ford Focus as the chase vehicle. It made it up everything the truck did, albeit with a bit bumpier ride. :)

Jan. 3, 2011, 8:29 a.m.

Truth be told, I really really love those tall Mercedes vans. Seems like a great setup, but I looked (including the Dodge Sprinter version) and they're stupidly expensive. Love the idea of a nice place to sleep, can stand up in them, and store the expensive toys inside while on the road!

awd safari/astro.

truck chasis
awd drive
can sleep in them
dutch doors are great for shuttles
can be lifted if you want more ground clearance
parts readily available
inexpensive

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 3, 2011, 9 a.m.

What about a Ford Transit Connect? They're like mini Sprinters in every sense (size, price, power, fuel consumption, etc).

I love the idea behind the Transit, but there are a few glaring problems with it.

First, you want storage, then you lose seating. Second, you want seating you lose storage which essentially turns it into a tall wagon/minivan.

Sadly, that's not even remotely close to what the Sprinter is. Check this out, like I posted in my thread: http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/content/canada/mpc/mpc_canada_website/en/home_mpc/van/home/new_vans_na/models/sprinter_906/panel_van/highlights/flexibility.0006.html

Seating for 6 (kids or adults) plus massive covered storage.

Jan. 3, 2011, 9:08 a.m.

id love a sprinter in a manual and 4x4.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Jan. 3, 2011, 9:10 a.m.

but north america gets nothing cool the only thing we get is suburbans and escalades and avalanches. which apprantly have some sort of labeling issue cause everyone that drives them thinks its a bmw m3..
fucking douchebags

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Jan. 3, 2011, 9:17 a.m.

id love a sprinter in a manual and 4x4.

you can get them, factory ordered with some conversion work done. places in the states are doing it for around $120k

http://www.sportsmobile.com/3_bikes.html

Jan. 3, 2011, 9:18 a.m.

you can get them, factory ordered with some conversion work done. places in the states are doing it for around $120k

sweet then i can live in it.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Jan. 3, 2011, 9:38 a.m.

sweet then i can live in it.

Walmart parking lot livin'

Jan. 3, 2011, 11:15 a.m.

My dad says go Dodge for diesel, Ford for gas, and he spent his life working in trucks in the woods. But of course he himself drives a Toyota..

that sounds exactly like my dope dealer

a buddy of mine did the mid 90's imported from japan 4-runer thing ,it was not turbo charged so it was SLOW and it blew the head …cost her a LOT of money,another buddy of mine had the diesel in a toyota hilux that were actualy sold herein the 80's and he sold it pretty quick …said it wasnt all he thot it would be

AND I always get a kick out of the "I wish we could have small diesels " threads ,the american market is 10times larger so the canadian market share is only about the size of the california market ,in america gas is cheaper than diesel so nobody is going to buy a diesel car … SO you are not gona buy a diesel either