truck questions - 4x4 vs. 4x2, etc.

Jan. 2, 2011, 9:26 p.m.

I do like the idea of getting a diesel that I could hold on to for a very long time. What kinds of initial investment are we talking about (with something recent enough to have gasp side curtain airbags maybe)? I feel like I know even less about diesel trucks. My dad says go Dodge for diesel, Ford for gas, and he spent his life working in trucks in the woods. But of course he himself drives a Toyota..

Ford is still randomly threatening it's dealers that the V6 powerjoke will show up in the 2012 or 2012.5 f150 4x4 in round the 30k range

Pastor of Muppets

Jan. 2, 2011, 9:29 p.m.

AHHH shit…you can take a boy out of the westend,but you can't take the westend out of the boy.

yeah that's right. is that all your 20W bulb of a brain can come up with these days?

for someone who seemingly doesn't need truck utility a vehicle like the audi is a possible option.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 2, 2011, 9:30 p.m.

Latest tank was 10.32L/100km.

Jan. 2, 2011, 9:36 p.m.

Everything you want. Why can't more people realize that this is the way to go?

http://www.outbackimports.ca/hilux-crew.html

Jan. 2, 2011, 9:37 p.m.

Also, check out what us North Americans are missing out on:

http://www.ford.co.uk/Cars/NewRanger

Jan. 2, 2011, 9:42 p.m.

yeah that's right. is that all your 20W bulb of a brain

I've gone green

can come up with these days?

pretty much

for someone who seemingly doesn't need truck utility

like you….the syncro could carry a toolbelt and tow a trailer

a vehicle like the audi is a possible option.

a bloated,1/2 assed option

"crossover" vehicles are the biggest waste of time since the convertible chev sprint.

Pastor of Muppets

Jan. 2, 2011, 9:43 p.m.

what about considering an audi allroad? height adjustable suspension for when you need it, awesome awd system, plenty of room for the kids and gear and a gorgeous car to boot.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/ctd/2136426934.html

In theory it might do the trick as "a better version of the Subie wagon I already own", sure, but:

1. If actually driven on FSRs I doubt it would, in practice, hold up better. In fact, I'm pretty sure it would do worse. See #2 + consumer reports + lemon guide.
2. A friend of mine owns a 2003 All Road. Serious problems, like a blown turbo going up the Coq, and at least 1/2 dozen extended trips to the dealer with various probs on that air suspension.
3. I owned a 2000 Audi. Spent 2X what the car was worth on service/repairs over a 2 year period, got fed up and replaced it with a Subie. Still haven't quite gotten over that ownership experience, so I'd be unlikely to trust a 2003 Audi even if it's in great working order and, yes, a good bargain at that price.

Jan. 2, 2011, 9:47 p.m.

See splinky?

You stick to dink presses and leave the trucks to the unshaven men here.

Pastor of Muppets

Jan. 2, 2011, 10:18 p.m.

Everything you want. Why can't more people realize that this is the way to go?

http://www.outbackimports.ca/hilux-crew.html

I assume people do this simply because of the pre-electronics diesel engines that they can fix MacGyver-style in the middle of nowhere? Otherwise a 15+ year old imported Hilux seems like an awfully small pickup for quite a bit of money. The Land Cruiser they've got in stock looks great for its age, but I can buy a 3 year old 4runner for the same money. I don't get the JDM import thing, but that's probably because I've never been an offroad guy.

Jan. 2, 2011, 10:38 p.m.

See splinky?

You stick to dink presses and leave the trucks to the unshaven men here.

it's pretty sad that all you know how to do is gay bash in a pathetic attempt at humor.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 2, 2011, 10:44 p.m.

In theory it might do the trick as "a better version of the Subie wagon I already own", sure, but:

1. If actually driven on FSRs I doubt it would, in practice, hold up better. In fact, I'm pretty sure it would do worse. See #2 + consumer reports + lemon guide.
2. A friend of mine owns a 2003 All Road. Serious problems, like a blown turbo going up the Coq, and at least 1/2 dozen extended trips to the dealer with various probs on that air suspension.
3. I owned a 2000 Audi. Spent 2X what the car was worth on service/repairs over a 2 year period, got fed up and replaced it with a Subie. Still haven't quite gotten over that ownership experience, so I'd be unlikely to trust a 2003 Audi even if it's in great working order and, yes, a good bargain at that price.

yeah there have been some issues with the allroad, it was more about floating other ideas out there besides the truck. i'd say look at your primary vehicle needs and go from there. while having a pick-up has some great benefits, it can get tiring having a full size as your daily driver. i much prefer my car to the truck but i need it for work.

some of the new awd crossover vehicles are pretty nice too, chevy traverse?

Ellen Langer

Jan. 2, 2011, 10:53 p.m.

yeah there have been some issues with the allroad, it was more about floating other ideas out there besides the truck. i'd say look at your primary vehicle needs and go from there. while having a pick-up has some great benefits, it can get tiring having a full size as your daily driver. i much prefer my car to the truck but i need it for work.

some of the new awd crossover vehicles are pretty nice too, chevy traverse?

it depends on the amount of fire roads he intends to travel. Crossovers will get rattled to pieces pretty fast with any amount of gravel road travel.

it also depends on what he needs out of his daily driver. I drive a full size pickup every day and wouldn't have it any other way. If I had to drive downtown and find parking all the time, my tune would change pretty quick.

Allroad….aside from the know issues would be the cost of repairs. I'd never own another VW/Audi outside of the warranty period.

Jan. 2, 2011, 10:57 p.m.

it depends on the amount of fire roads he intends to travel. Crossovers will get rattled to pieces pretty fast with any amount of gravel road travel.

it also depends on what he needs out of his daily driver. I drive a full size pickup every day and wouldn't have it any other way. If I had to drive downtown and find parking all the time, my tune would change pretty quick.

if it's the odd shuttle it might not be so bad, depends on the vehicle too. it's too bad gm stopped making the awd safari/astro, that would be the perfect vehicle.

i like driving my truck at times, hate it at times like you mentioned when i head from job a to job b.

Ellen Langer

Jan. 2, 2011, 11:35 p.m.

My intention is to do more fire roads and trips off the beaten path now that the kids are old enough that getting away (with or without them) on longer trips is viable. For example, on a full day or overnight mtb or moto trip. That's the theory, anyway. ;)

As mentioned in the original post, I have very light 'daily driver' requirements for this vehicle. We have a RAV4 that my wife primarily drives on mom duty and it works great as our family-mobile. 4-cylinder, sport suspension, we've done trips all the way down the coast with it loaded down [HTML_REMOVED] a roof box on top for bulky stuff like the arena-sized tent and really it's just great. This one is more or less a "me" vehicle for recreation.

Allroad….aside from the know issues would be the cost of repairs. I'd never own another VW/Audi outside of the warranty period.

This.

Jan. 2, 2011, 11:44 p.m.

.. it was more about floating other ideas out there besides the truck.

Understood, appreciated. I've been on the truck alternative plan with the legacy wagon for the last 5 years and have no complaints. Just trying to anticipate my next 5+ years and concluding that it may be time to move to something more directly suited to my hobbies as we have the luxury of having a solid "do everything" family vehicle and we've managed to arrange it such that I don't rack up a lot of commute miles in my vehicle, which is a lifestyle I have no intention of retreating from. :D

I've never owned a truck in my 20 years of driving, which says a lot about my annoyance with the truck downsides. 15mpg? Seriously? Truth be told, I really really love those tall Mercedes vans. Seems like a great setup, but I looked (including the Dodge Sprinter version) and they're stupidly expensive. Love the idea of a nice place to sleep, can stand up in them, and store the expensive toys inside while on the road!