Truck advice plz

June 10, 2016, 2:05 p.m.

Currently looking for pickup . . .

Have owned Toyotas in the past , currently driving a '96 forerunner with the 2.7 4 banger but I need the load / utility of a pickup . Mainly firewood , light construction and general shit hauling .

Pretty much ready to pull the trigger on a 2000 Tacoma , has what I need : 4 cyl , canopy , rack , 4x4 , extended cab . . . Would have preferred manual trans , but this one has auto .

But as an afterthought considered Chev Colorado or Ford ranger .

Requirements as noted above , budget 10,000 + / -

Comments or recommendations , things to look out for ?

June 10, 2016, 3:59 p.m.

We used a new colorado for a bush truck and I would stay away from them period, it also has a smaller box

Bought a new ranger so 5 years/70,000 kms and zero has gone wrong with it, friends who have them have had no problems either, 6 ft box there are lots of used canopies I got one for 200$, 4l no timing belt no hubs no nothing just change the oil, mazda B4000 is the same truck, The last version was 98-2012, cheap to own, might be a lot less than a toyota, the 2010 4x4's were only 19K brand new, i would look for an x-cab/4x4/4L/ 5spd

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Ranger_%28North_America%29

4 cylinder tacoma 4x4 with auto might suck for hauling?

the common thot that if its got a BaJillion miles on it but "thats ok cuz its a toyota" is I think is a suckers game

They are small PU's but Ford ranger or toyota pu get about 25mpg hy and quite a bit less in town

if you need to haul stuff how about a chevy PU

June 10, 2016, 4:44 p.m.

How will people know that you mtn bike/ski/snowboard/surf/dirt bike/get extreme if you don't drive a Taco though?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

June 10, 2016, 5:09 p.m.

I had a Ranger for 12 years and spent exactly 0 dollars on repairs. It cost me nothing beyond general maintenance. It was a great truck at half the cost of the Tacoma that Ive had for 10 years, which has been nothing but trouble and cost me nothing but money. My next vehicle will not be a Toyota.

June 10, 2016, 5:28 p.m.

I had a Ranger for 12 years and spent exactly 0 dollars on repairs. It cost me nothing beyond general maintenance. It was a great truck at half the cost of the Tacoma that Ive had for 10 years, which has been nothing but trouble and cost me nothing but money. My next vehicle will not be a Toyota.

shhh, dont you know Toyotas are the best ever… totaly worth the 30K $$$ price tag over a similar vehicle..

\
ps its a real shame Ford wont sell the new world Ranger here… that damn thing would sell like hotcakes..but they only wanna sell F150s to the same people who dont want a fullsize truck…sigh..

June 10, 2016, 6:02 p.m.

Currently cruising ads for Ford ranger fx 4 level 2 . . .

June 10, 2016, 6:18 p.m.

the f150 is canada best selling vehical for 37 yrs or sft SO why spend a billion to try and build another ranger when small truck sales went down year after year which is why Toyota redesigned the taco to be mid sized and why they are no small PU's in NA?

because only a few people posting on mntbike [HTML_REMOVED] ski forums think small PU's with a small gutless diesel engine would sell?

if you goggle sale figures the Ranger was off 75% from the peak by the time Ford pulled the plug

a 2010 4x4 4L excab ranger was 19045 new while a new toyota was around 30K

June 10, 2016, 6:38 p.m.

My land baron just sold his 06 CrewCab TRD(maybe) Taco 6spd w/canopy for $21600. smh.
He is buying a 2016 TRD :lol:

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

June 10, 2016, 7:16 p.m.

Chev 1500,mazda b4000 or ranger….in that order.

Pastor of Muppets

June 10, 2016, 8:34 p.m.

Hard to beat the price of the Rangers. But,depends if you need 4 doors or not, I have a 2005 Colorado with 373000km on it and only have done the basic repairs (Z71 4x4 crew cab)
I just like the smaller size of the Colorado

June 11, 2016, 5:30 a.m.

The global Ranger will be available in Canada within the next couple years.
Will be built in Onterrible at the same plant Broncos will be built at.

I've played with the newer Ranger in Malaysia, it's awesome.

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

June 11, 2016, 6:12 a.m.

This might be useful here. It's a great analysis on many ownership costs.

Metrics on the most and least expensive cars to maintain (in USD)

… My next vehicle will not be a Toyota.

Maybe you got the one built on a Friday? Maybe you drive like youre holding a purse and the truck is taking it out on you by breaking down? :P

June 11, 2016, 9:24 a.m.

My land baron just sold his 06 CrewCab TRD(maybe) Taco 6spd w/canopy for $21600. smh.
He is buying a 2016 TRD :lol:

My ski bud did exactly the same thing, brand/model loyalty, sez his new taco has lots of new gee-gaws and maybe handles/drives a slightly better but not earth shatteringly so

I put high kms on a 90 toyo 4-runer and IME when pushed long [HTML_REMOVED] hard, stuff wore out just like any other vehical

A global ranger ain't gona cost 19K and be in a class by itself, it will be closer to 40K, will have to compete with the Taco so it better check all the marketing must-have boxes because its going to cost Ford close to a billion to put the 1st truck on the lot so they will need to sell lots of new rangers, when Ford already has the F150 cash cow … it really does not make $$$ sense to me

the last tennant had an older ex cab 4x4 chevy 1500 pu with 350 or maybe 305, cheap to buy when it needed work he could do it himself, any time it needed parts they were cheap at canuck tire, full siZe truck carries lots of shit, good for bike shuttles.

These small trucks are ok to thro a pair of skis in the back or A bike which is my app but they don't really carry that much stuff, if you want a workhorse go bigger IMO

June 11, 2016, 11:44 a.m.

Thanks guys for the input . . .

Don't really need to haul a lot of big stuff . . . Just a pickup could make me so much more independent and efficient as far as moving shit when I need to and not have to depend on others . Day to day I need the space to haul the Ianbunbury Dogschool around which is dogs and dog equipment like jumps and obstacles . I'll be able to grab firewood when and where I see it .
My kids are pretty much out of the house now so I don't need/want the crew cab which I lusted at for years , but I do want more interior space so no single cab .
I've had good experience with Toyota (4Runner has 360,000 km and still runs great with no issues or major mechanicals ) hence my desire to stick with the brand , but I do also question the wisdom of spending 10 g on a truck with upwards of 250,000 km .
I've never been a Ford Guy but those level 2 rangers look pretty capable , ticking my boxes with the exception of fuel efficiency . . . but I guess if you want truck capability . . .

June 11, 2016, 12:12 p.m.

just get something like this and forget about the gas thing.
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/5623162467.html

sure the fuel consumption will be twice as bad, but with the money you save on the vehicle the gas costs won't be an issue and at least you'll have good capacity to haul stuff around. there are pleny of good used full size ext cab trucks available in the $4-6K price range so you should have no problem finding a decent one.

or if money is not a huge concern go a different route and get the ford transit connect. cheap on fuel and sounds like a good fit for what you need.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rch/ctd/5585096170.html

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer