Truck advice plz

June 13, 2016, 1:24 p.m.

For all the Ford Ranger fanboys on here (and with no help to OP) Car and driver reported that they may return to North America in 2019, so if you've got time, it might be your next truck
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2019-ford-ranger-25-cars-worth-waiting-for-feature

The writer figures the only way to fuck this^^ up is charge too much which makes sense, so I wonder what you would get for a base price [HTML_REMOVED] 25K?

I used to live right beside the sales manager or owner of the local ford dealer so 5 yrs ago I asked him why disco the ranger and why no new ranger? He said the old Ranger no longer met standards and it would cost 800million to get a new Ranger to market which made sense with ranger/small truck sales dragging and Ford was doing fine with the F-150

I assume Ford now see's the mid sized "Tacoma market" as too lucrative to stay out of, and now GM is in the game with Colorado, I don't know how much of the "world ranger" will remain or if it will be the same truck, but THE direct competition will be … Tacoma

June 13, 2016, 2:13 p.m.

I used to live right beside the sales manager or owner of the local ford dealer so 5 yrs ago I asked him why disco the ranger and why no new ranger? He said the old Ranger no longer met standards and it would cost 800million to get a new Ranger to market which made sense with ranger/small truck sales dragging and Ford was doing fine with the F-150

I could understand this if a new Ranger weren't being offered for sale elsewhere in the world. Designing and developing a new vehicle from scratch is not a cheap exercise, by any means. However, in this case, the R and D work was already done. Scale up production, do a bit of legwork for regulatory purposes for the domestic market, and away you go. Have I missed something?

June 13, 2016, 2:31 p.m.

I could understand this if a new Ranger weren't being offered for sale elsewhere in the world. Designing and developing a new vehicle from scratch is not a cheap exercise, by any means. However, in this case, the R and D work was already done. Scale up production, do a bit of legwork for regulatory purposes for the domestic market, and away you go. Have I missed something?

Line/plant capacity.

I have no idea what was produced on the Ranger production lines once they stopped, but it was likely something more lucrative. So unless you build a new plant/line you need to bump something else out of production or lower it's numbers.

The other thing is NA content. To not get dinged with the chicken tax you need your X percentage to be NA manufactured so you need to factor in your Tier 2 and Tier 3 capacity. If they all need to build new plants/lines it's going to up the cost.

June 13, 2016, 2:33 p.m.

well its not that simple I think due to NAFTA/UAW/trade agreements vehicals for sale in NA have to be made in NA, a tacoma is a japanese car company but its made in N.A., VW's are made in Mexico. Then there is the fact that a vehical made elswhere may not meet saftey standards or even be a good idea on the roads in NA, i was recently in a japanese vehical that worked for bali but glancing at the speedo and the tach I am pretty sure it was geared lower cuz the engine was screaming the one time we got to 90KPH

but the big reason is to protect the chickens …

"The chicken tax is a 25% tariff on potato starch, dextrin, brandy, and light trucks imposed in 1963 by the United States under President Lyndon B. Johnson in response to tariffs placed by France and West Germany on importation of U.S. chicken.[1] The period from 1961–1964[2] of tensions and negotiations surrounding the issue was known as the "Chicken War" taking place at the height of Cold War politics.[3]

Eventually, the tariffs on potato starch, dextrin, and brandy were lifted,[4] but over the next 48 years the light truck tax ossified, remaining in place to protect U.S. domestic automakers from foreign competition (e.g., from Japan and Thailand).[5] Though concern remains about its repeal,[6][7] a 2003 Cato Institute study called the tariff "a policy in search of a rationale."[4]

As an unintended consequence several importers of light trucks have circumvented the tariff via loopholes—including Ford (ostensibly a company for which the tax was designed to protect), which imports the Transit Connect light trucks as "passenger vehicles" to the U.S. from Turkey and immediately strips and shreds portions of their interiors, such as installed rear seats, in a warehouse outside Baltimore.[1]"

you don't get those cool vehicals you may have driven on the other side of the world is the chicken tax^^ who else would protect the chickens

June 13, 2016, 3:06 p.m.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/news/trans-canada-highway/the-chicken-tax-why-its-hard-to-find-a-small-pickup-truck/article15435229/

good artical from a couple years ago why no small trucks in NA

June 13, 2016, 3:36 p.m.

Huh. The more you know…

June 13, 2016, 4:27 p.m.

you don't have to know shit just type stuff into google and draw wildass conclusians and the conclusian I draw is that in spite of what they say nobody really wants to buy a small PU

http://left-lane.com/us-car-sales-data/ford/ford-ranger/

heres^^ ranger sales figures from a high of 344,000 units in 1994 to 2012 where they sold [HTML_REMOVED]20,000 units

http://left-lane.com/us-car-sales-data/toyota/toyota-tacoma/

You can use that page to check sales on any car so here is the much more popular Tacoma which has steadily increased in units sold from the small taco to the present midsized Taco in 2004 which would jive with everyone loving their toyo PU, you can even see the 2008 downturn in the economy affecting sales, but I gotta wonder what would have happened if not for the redesigned midsized new Taco ?

http://left-lane.com/us-car-sales-data/chevrolet/chevrolet-s10/
cuz here is the S10 and nobody loved it

http://left-lane.com/us-car-sales-data/mazda/mazda-b-series/
B series mazda which is a Ranger with different badges

http://left-lane.com/us-car-sales-data/nissan/nissan-frontier/
nissan frontier is a little different

June 13, 2016, 4:28 p.m.

doing research on ford ranger fx4 level 2 . . . my 300 meter , steep driveway can get pretty burly in winter , and firewood is just up the hill from my place on a pretty rough road . I like the idea of a little extra 4 by capability that model has .

there are several ranging around 10 g , [HTML_REMOVED] 150 k . . . manual or auto ? would prefer manual , but auto more reliable ?

'Sheets , there is a nice lifted one in PG , can you go check it out for me :lol: ?

June 13, 2016, 4:37 p.m.

I often wish I could be lazy and have an auto, but for your app you probably want probably the 5spd, at the time the auto was an extra 1400$ so I went 5spd

June 13, 2016, 4:37 p.m.

you don't have to know shit just type stuff into google and draw wildass conclusians and the conclusian I draw is that in spite of what they say nobody really wants to buy a small PU

i'd venture that the reason ranger sales weren't that great was their fuel mileage. i think most people saw no point in buying a small truck if it was going to use the same amount of fuel as a full size p/u.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 13, 2016, 4:44 p.m.

i'd venture that the reason ranger sales weren't that great was their fuel mileage. i think most people saw no point in buying a small truck if it was going to use the same amount of fuel as a full size p/u.

the fact it never really got updated like anything else kills interest over time..

if u keep selling a basicly unchanged item long enuf eventually people stop buying it..

weird ikr…

June 13, 2016, 5:01 p.m.

well yes milage is one reason and that shitty milage applies to any of the small PU's not just Ranger but I still don't think the small PU's in general carried enough, IME 5 adults in a Ranger sucks, whereas everytime I've been in a Taco its been going skiing or picking up skiers with 5 adults which is just OK so just big benough for the average family of 4 and the dog

SO IMO the new ranger has to have the same interiour size as a taco

Ranger has a longer 6'box than a Taco's 5.6' btw and there are cheap used caps everywhere sitting in peoples yards, I slept in mine last saturday

edit: Maybe the ford execs were against throwing money at re-engineering the ranger when small trucks were dropping in sales and the market was completely dissappearing, ford was the last small truck ?

June 13, 2016, 5:17 p.m.

the fact it never really got updated like anything else kills interest over time..

if u keep selling a basicly unchanged item long enuf eventually people stop buying it..

weird ikr…

This

Ha Ha! Made you look.

June 14, 2016, 9:11 a.m.

Currently looking for pickup . . .

Have owned Toyotas in the past , currently driving a '96 forerunner with the 2.7 4 banger but I need the load / utility of a pickup . Mainly firewood , light construction and general shit hauling .

Pretty much ready to pull the trigger on a 2000 Tacoma , has what I need : 4 cyl , canopy , rack , 4x4 , extended cab . . . Would have preferred manual trans , but this one has auto .

But as an afterthought considered Chev Colorado or Ford ranger .

Requirements as noted above , budget 10,000 + / -

Comments or recommendations , things to look out for ?

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/Nissan-Frontier-1999-5-Speed-4x4_27673948.lite

Came across this in my search for a used canopy. Looks good!

June 14, 2016, 9:34 a.m.

thank you mad' . . . that does look nice , now I gotta spend a buncha time researching Nissan !?