Trinity Western- Religious Freedom vs Human Rights

June 16, 2014, 1:58 p.m.

why? because that is the lifestyle they choose to follow and because we live in a free society that supports the idea of allowing people to choose to live the way they want to live. so while i don't support all the ideals of the university, i do support their right to choose the way they'd like to run it. in the same sense, i would support a private university that only wanted to allow non-heterosexual students into their facilities.

You can have, and be in support of any private institution of higher learning if there are enough people willing to pay to attend said institution - even if they are only offering PhD's in banjo-picking and axe grinding….the point is that once you finish your "education" at the private institution you have to come back to the fold and hope that your degree is worth something, enough to get you a job. Right now, BC Benchers are being pressured by Law Society members to reject accreditation for TWU. There is no discrimination going on - there is just a movement to say that any lawyer who graduates from the TWU law school will not be qualified to practice law in BC with their degree…making it useless in this province. The rationale for not recognizing the TWU degree is that the institution granting it encourages behaviour which is deemed to be discriminatory according to the Canadian Charter. BC law members do not want to the bench to recognize graduating lawyers who, by fault of attending TWU, embrace this discriminatory practice. There is no discrimination. TWU can continue to do whatever it wants behind its own walls, and those who want to attend can freely continue to attend - but they have to consider the value of the education that they are receiving as it is perceived by potential employers.

You can get a law degree from a mail-order caribbean based university that follows the teaching of JAH, but it aint gonna be worth rolling paper here. Same with the TWU degree….If they can find somewhere where their degree is going to get them a job, then by all means let em have it.

I'm ignoring Smedley.

June 16, 2014, 2:34 p.m.

So now what do we do with all the lawyers who went to faith based elementary and high schools?

Pastor of Muppets

June 16, 2014, 2:57 p.m.

So now what do we do with all the lawyers who went to faith based elementary and high schools?

If that's where they got their law degrees, then I doubt they can be accredited.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

June 16, 2014, 3:26 p.m.

If that's where they got their law degrees, then I doubt they can be accredited.

Does anyone know what school Dougie Howser went to?

June 16, 2014, 3:48 p.m.

You can get a law degree from a mail-order caribbean based university that follows the teaching of JAH, but it aint gonna be worth rolling paper here. Same with the TWU degree….If they can find somewhere where their degree is going to get them a job, then by all means let em have it.

Only the law of man, created by man, no matter how flawed, is considered in a civil or criminal court of Law. The laws of god, be they Catholic, Mormon, Evangelical Protestant or Koranic/Sharia in nature should not be considered, no matter how well-intentioned until they are codified and approved through our system elected government (and then further scrutinized by the courts to ensure they do not violate laws that preceded them). That is the rationale for accreditation. Would you put your faith in a bridge (or a very large boat filled with animals) built by a engineer educated in an unaccredited faith-based engineering program?

June 16, 2014, 4:01 p.m.

Does anyone know what school Dougie Howser went to?

Def not TWU, what with him being homer sexual and all.

June 16, 2014, 4:13 p.m.

"What is considered sinful in one of the great religions to which citizens belong isn't necessarily sinful in the others. Criminal law cannot be based on the notion of sin; it is crimes that must define it."

"in decriminalizing a given action, the law in no was in no way challenging the moral beliefs of any given religion"

" the state has no business in the bedrooms of the nation " this is probably one of Pierre Elliot Trudeau's more famous quotes

As minister of justice PET drafted [HTML_REMOVED] passed the omnibus bill in 1967 amending the criminal code on homosexuality, firearms, abortion, contraception and divorce, gambling, DUI, like it or not the bill became Canadian law

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_Law_Amendment_Act,_1968-69

To me the TWU covenant treads too fine a line of the laws in Canada to be teaching the law, if you want to be a fringe element thats fine but stay there … don't expect to get mainstream accreditation

June 16, 2014, 4:24 p.m.

You can have, and be in support of any private institution of higher learning if there are enough people willing to pay to attend said institution - even if they are only offering PhD's in banjo-picking and axe grinding….the point is that once you finish your "education" at the private institution you have to come back to the fold and hope that your degree is worth something, enough to get you a job. Right now, BC Benchers are being pressured by Law Society members to reject accreditation for TWU. There is no discrimination going on - there is just a movement to say that any lawyer who graduates from the TWU law school will not be qualified to practice law in BC with their degree…making it useless in this province. The rationale for not recognizing the TWU degree is that the institution granting it encourages behaviour which is deemed to be discriminatory according to the Canadian Charter. BC law members do not want to the bench to recognize graduating lawyers who, by fault of attending TWU, embrace this discriminatory practice. There is no discrimination. TWU can continue to do whatever it wants behind its own walls, and those who want to attend can freely continue to attend - but they have to consider the value of the education that they are receiving as it is perceived by potential employers.

And even if one say goes to UBC or UofT's Law Schools once you have put in the specified number or years and passed the required number of courses. Still no guarantee of passing the Bar Exam and once you do that. You still have get accepted by a Law Firm to get the experience and more importantly the knowledge of those things law school won't teach.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

June 16, 2014, 4:53 p.m.

But it's no doubt that most of their morals and beliefs came from those schools. Isn't that the issue here?or is this just a human rights protest?

Pastor of Muppets

June 16, 2014, 7:55 p.m.

I don't blame the BC Law Society for their stance. They're against anything to do with ethics.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 16, 2014, 9:36 p.m.

But it's no doubt that most of their morals and beliefs came from those schools. Isn't that the issue here?or is this just a human rights protest?

No its entirely about the covenant TWU is requiring students to sign, not where they went to H-school, if there was no covenant TWU could probably start their law school but personally if I was going spend all that money … I would find a better law school

June 16, 2014, 9:57 p.m.

Definitely better to go to Harvard.

Of wait - Harvard was founded by the Puritans as a school to churn out clergymen.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 17, 2014, 10:21 p.m.

I'm sure a TWU Law degree will be good in Russia!

"May a commune of gay, Marxist Muslim illegal immigrants use your tax dollars to open a drive-thru abortion clinic in your church."

June 17, 2014, 11:05 p.m.

A used toilet tissue is a good enough document to practice law in Russia.

June 18, 2014, 11:28 a.m.

A used toilet tissue is a good enough document to practice law in Russia.

Of course, because you went there to test that out. Was that before they found out your tears cured Lupus or after?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/