Trinity Western- Religious Freedom vs Human Rights

June 12, 2014, 1:08 p.m.

So you contend that no public funds are directed toward religious schools (TWU included)?

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

June 12, 2014, 1:18 p.m.

It doesn't, unless it's research.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 12, 2014, 1:19 p.m.

So you contend that no public funds are directed toward religious schools (TWU included)?

umm no. but twu doesnt' get 90% of it's funding from the gov't either, essentially nil.
our primary and secondary schools don't get 90% either, only 50% or 35% of their funding from the govt. they also don't compromise 1/3 of all schools - the situation presented in that vid is no comparison to schooling here.

i just don't see the relevance, especially wrt twu.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 12, 2014, 1:24 p.m.

It speaks to the bigger picture. Much larger picture than some silly covenant. In a democratic society we should oppose any and all public funding for private schools.

June 12, 2014, 1:34 p.m.

It speaks to the bigger picture. Much larger picture than some silly covenant. In a democratic society we should oppose any and all public funding for private schools.

so using an example that is rather far flung from the topic at hand makes sense?
why not just say that instead of using somewhat trivial support?

btw, if you did that (removed public funding) would you also support people who choose to attend these schools getting a refund on the portion of their taxes that would be used to fund public institutions?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 12, 2014, 1:51 p.m.

btw, if you did that (removed public funding) would you also support people who choose to attend these schools getting a refund on the portion of their taxes that would be used to fund public institutions?

People with no children pay for public education through their taxes. Is that fair? Perhaps, if you consider that the tax dollars those children will pay as adults will most probably be helping support you at some point. If you don't get sick (or hardly ever get sick), shouldn't you not have to pay MSP? Its the same reason people who don't go to university, or college or trade school don't get a tax refund for the portion of their tax dollars that fund public further education. Its what Americans call communism but if done right, it seems to work for the common good …

You can't argue with bigotry, regardless of the form it takes.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

and just to follow that line of thinking you feel that independent schools that specialize in teaching kids with special needs such as: http://www.gleneden.org/ should lose all government funding?

i know, i know, sample of one. so here's a list of a few more:

http://www.ourkids.net/special-needs-schools-bc.php

Ellen Langer

June 12, 2014, 1:56 p.m.

People with no children pay for public education through their taxes. Is that fair? Perhaps, if you consider that the tax dollars those children will pay as adults will most probably be helping support you at some point. If you don't get sick, should you not have to pay MSP? Its the same reason people who don't go to university, or college or trade school don't get a tax refund for the portion of their tax dollars that fund public higher education.

no, it's not. we should just ban children altogether and that would solve the problem.

Ellen Langer

June 12, 2014, 2:01 p.m.

and just to follow that line of thinking you feel that independent schools that specialize in teaching kids with special needs such as: http://www.gleneden.org/ should lose all government funding?

No…those kids should just walk it off and harden the fuck up.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

June 12, 2014, 2:06 p.m.

no, it's not. we should just ban children altogether and that would solve the problem.

Bingo. Or charge the parents extra. Plus add on a carbon tax per child.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

June 12, 2014, 2:11 p.m.

But as we've seen in this thread, you most certainly can. Here's a transcript of the LSUC doing such a thing on this very topic.

June 12, 2014, 2:14 p.m.

so using an example that is rather far flung from the topic at hand makes sense?
why not just say that instead of using somewhat trivial support?

No … because.

People with no children pay for public education through their taxes. Is that fair? Perhaps, if you consider that the tax dollars those children will pay as adults will most probably be helping support you at some point. If you don't get sick (or hardly ever get sick), shouldn't you not have to pay MSP? Its the same reason people who don't go to university, or college or trade school don't get a tax refund for the portion of their tax dollars that fund public further education. Its what Americans call communism but if done right, it seems to work for the common good …

Do you get to opt out of paying MSP because you didn't visit a doctor this year? Do you get to opt out of taxes going to Translink if you never take the bus?

June 12, 2014, 2:14 p.m.

You're right.

Care to point out a specific example of said bigotry?

June 12, 2014, 2:17 p.m.

Well, the guv should be funding such services to the point that they're not private.