Trinity Western- Religious Freedom vs Human Rights

April 29, 2014, 6:56 p.m.

It's just much easier to shit on folks we don't agree with

You have got to admit this is fantastically rich coming from you, no?

Should TWU be allowed Canadian taxpayer monies while operating under rules of their faith and not of common law? If so, would you be upset if $2.6 million was earmarked for a college built under the direction Scientologists?

April 29, 2014, 7:06 p.m.

Should TWU be allowed Canadian taxpayer monies while operating under rules of their faith and not of common law? If so, would you be upset if $2.6 million was earmarked for a college built under the direction Scientologists?

do you realize they're a private institution and don't receive public funding to run their education programs?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 29, 2014, 7:07 p.m.

you realize they're a private institution and don't receive public funding to run their education programs?

Weird.

April 29, 2014, 7:08 p.m.

More weirdness.

April 29, 2014, 7:09 p.m.

But wait there's more.

Page one of a google search. I'm gonna guess there's at least $20 more in there.

April 29, 2014, 7:17 p.m.

It's just much easier to shit on folks we don't agree with,thats what I see happening here.

Ah..so questioning and discussing one aspect of a religion and/or school is shitting on them? Shall we next prevent students of mixed race attending as well?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

April 29, 2014, 7:18 p.m.

do you realize they're a private institution and don't receive public funding to run their education programs?

Would you like some Stout or Belgian Ale to wash that crow down?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

April 29, 2014, 7:24 p.m.

Ah..so questioning and discussing one aspect of a religion and/or school is shitting on them? Shall we next prevent students of mixed race attending as well?

Have you even read this thread?

And whe you open the thread with a lie,how do you expect things to go

Pastor of Muppets

April 29, 2014, 7:44 p.m.

Funding is not the issue here,but the acceptance of a law school by the law society is. Now,on the other hand,should the law society disbar lawyers who are Muslim or of any faith at all,lest their thoughts cloud their judgement?

The law society has no business in qualifying education or where it comes from. Law firms and clients do though.

For what it's worth…if they were to disallow muslim,sikh etc lawyers,that would be wasis.

…and I only shit on people when they're being stupid.

Pastor of Muppets

April 29, 2014, 8:19 p.m.

Funding is not the issue here,but the acceptance of a law school by the law society is. Now,on the other hand,should the law society disbar lawyers who are Muslim or of any faith at all,lest their thoughts cloud their judgement?

The law society has no business in qualifying education or where it comes from. Law firms and clients do though.

For what it's worth…if they were to disallow muslim,sikh etc lawyers,that would be wasis.

Correct. Funding isn't the immediate issue. The non-stupid would welcome open discussion on the ramifications of allowing 'religious values' as a determinant towards education. The question of government monies is one of many potential issues.

In regards to your next question, I sheepishly admit to holding the minority and controversial viewpoint that law societies shouldn't disbar Muslim lawyers.

Next up, your statement that a provincial Law Society has no business in qualifying education is see below.

…and I only shit on people when they're being stupid.

April 29, 2014, 8:19 p.m.

Would you like some Stout or Belgian Ale to wash that crow down?

this makes no sense. why am i "eating crow" for pointing out they're a private institution? that only adds to my side of the debate and refutes your's.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 29, 2014, 8:22 p.m.

Weird.

More weirdness.

But wait there's more.

Page one of a google search. I'm gonna guess there's at least $20 more in there.

grants and research aren't the same thing as directly funding student costs a la public institutions. i was well aware of the infrastructure and research grants when i made that post.

Ellen Langer

April 29, 2014, 8:27 p.m.

Actually they do. And if I recall correctly you have to pass the Bar exam to get in which does in fact qualifies one's education. So great example…when we bought our house while I could talk to my dad about legal stuff some what. I still needed to consult a lawyer who was a member of Law Society of Upper Canada.

Now let's add in a wrinkle to this … some provinces like Quebec specifically will actually demand you to rewrite your bar exam for that province. That though has more to do with the fact that Quebec provincial law follows a different system then the rest of Canada.

Law firms just employ you.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

April 29, 2014, 8:32 p.m.

it is egregious for law societies to sanction the twu law program. their approach is more discriminatory than the supposed discrimination they are working against. there is absolutely nothing in the twu program that would suggest discriminatory behaviour against gay persons as the law societies would suggest. their thinking is surprisingly closed minded and seemingly ill-informed.

Ellen Langer

April 29, 2014, 8:34 p.m.

grants and research aren't the same thing as directly funding student costs a la public institutions. i was well aware of the infrastructure and research grants when i made that post.

Should TWU be allowed Canadian taxpayer monies while operating under rules of their faith and not of common law?