Trinity Western- Religious Freedom vs Human Rights

April 28, 2014, 2:06 p.m.

I once had some kid tell me my engineering degree from BCIT was worthless compared to his ivy league level arts degree from Trinity Western.

Was somewhat amused.

I don't know what degrees they are accredited for, but I have some doubts they offer "Ivy League level" anything. Unless Ivy League schools are seriously slipping lately.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

April 28, 2014, 2:08 p.m.

And to say that the church, school, and religion can't change are fucking stupid. If that wasn't possible we would still be selling and buying Africans as slaves and so on. Yet here we are in 2014 and Fast Orange can marry an Asian.

Religion may change, but they will kick and scream the whole way to forced change. Social values are constantly revising themselves, and religions (all of them) are typically the last ones on board, citing their version of the bible as the basis for resistance.

April 28, 2014, 2:16 p.m.

I don't know what degrees they are accredited for, but I have some doubts they offer "Ivy League level" anything. Unless Ivy League schools are seriously slipping lately.

His dad was a prof. there, so it's not the most balanced source of information.

For all I know maybe they do offer an amazing education there. I did however actually spit up some beer laughing when he dropped the ivy league level stamp of approval. Maybe Jesus certified it?

April 29, 2014, 12:09 p.m.

Some other biblical prohibitions (with links to passages in the bible). Death to Lobster Eaters!

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/List_of_actions_prohibited_by_the_Bible

I especially like this one

"Leviticus 19:19

Ye shall keep my statutes. Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee. "

Translation: Inbreed your cattle, don't sow different crops in the same field, don't wear clothes made of linen and wool at the same time.

A lotta folks at TWU are gonna get a whuppin!

April 29, 2014, 12:57 p.m.

i wonder when people will start discriminating against christians

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

April 29, 2014, 1:05 p.m.

i wonder when people will start discriminating against christians

Christianity is the most persecuted religion in the world.

I've already started sending half of my income to help them out.

April 29, 2014, 1:25 p.m.

Christianity is the most persecuted religion in the world.

"I hope we can do more to raise the profile of the persecution of Christians around the world," Cameron said in an opening speech at his Easter reception at Downing Street. "It is the case today that our religion is now the most persecuted religion around the world. I think Britain can play a leading role in this."

My only question: Is Britain up to the task of persecuting christians?

April 29, 2014, 2:43 p.m.

My only question: Is Britain up to the task of persecuting christians?

They're a bit short on Colosseums and Lions.

April 29, 2014, 3:24 p.m.

And to say that the church, school, and religion can't change are fucking stupid. If that wasn't possible we would still be selling and buying Africans as slaves and so on. Yet here we are in 2014 and Fast Orange can marry an Asian.

religion changes when they realize they need to in order to stay relevant. I'm not sure of any religion that follows word by word what is found in their bible or holy book of choosing. Whatever they need to do to keep the money pouring in

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

April 29, 2014, 3:35 p.m.

I once had some kid tell me my engineering degree from BCIT was worthless compared to his ivy league level arts degree from Trinity Western.

TWU is not Ivy League, they are not even in the right country or on the correct coast: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_league

April 29, 2014, 3:46 p.m.

Lol why are they building one in Richmond

April 29, 2014, 5:11 p.m.

TWU is not Ivy League, they are not even in the right country or on the correct coast: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_league

By saying Ivy League Level I think everyone realized he was claiming it to be as good as, but not actually, an Ivy league school.

I obviously thought the claim was garbage, but the technicality you provided doesn't really apply.

April 29, 2014, 5:18 p.m.

So which religion is the "correct" one? All of them must be baloney, except for one - or none.

By saying Ivy League Level I think everyone realized he was claiming it to be as good as, but not actually, an Ivy league school.

I obviously thought the claim was garbage, but the technicality you provided doesn't really apply.

Someone told me the same thing about Quest University (that its up there with Harvard). Its in the Ivy Leagues of biking, kyaking, wind surfing, skiing, dirt biking, hiking, paragliding, hang gliding to name a few … not sure about edumacation.

April 29, 2014, 6:15 p.m.

It pays to pay attention.

The actual issue is that their law program won't include any instruction on the rights of the LGBT community. They won't learn any of the legal issues or precedents.

This is the equivalent of ignoring all of the law that grants equality based on cultural heritage.

I fully support the Law Society's stand on this.

really? where does TWU say that? the articles mostly erroneously talk about TWU being against homosexual activity, when in fact the covenant is about repsecting the christian belief against premarital sex - whether gay or straight. discrediting their law school is actually a step backwards in terms of our laws of freedom.

tacklebox has made the most relevant post in this thread so far.

maybe read what TWU has to say about the matter:
https://www.twu.ca/academics/school-of-law/faq.html

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 29, 2014, 6:34 p.m.

really? where does TWU say that? the articles mostly erroneously talk about TWU being against homosexual activity, when in fact the covenant is about repsecting the christian belief against premarital sex - whether gay or straight. discrediting their law school is actually a step backwards in terms of our laws of freedom.

tacklebox has made the most relevant post in this thread so far.

maybe read what TWU has to say about the matter:
https://www.twu.ca/academics/school-of-law/faq.html

It's just much easier to shit on folks we don't agree with,thats what I see happening here.

Pastor of Muppets