Trinity Western- Religious Freedom vs Human Rights

April 30, 2014, 9:45 a.m.

Sorry if your definition of reasonable debate means placing constraints on the conversation that limit content to a single opening statement. Many here are correct - the whole issue around gays and the 'covenant' are the smaller issue. In the bigger picture, the validity of a 'faith-based' law school is the more pressing question.

i'm not placing constraints, just looking for answers/opinions on the original post/topic.
i am fine with the more general debate and have argued on that point in reference to the law school at twu, i just feel the gay issue is being used as the scapegoat.

edit - i'll respond to your other post when i have more time.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 30, 2014, 9:53 a.m.

The christian religion is pretty clear: "thou shalt not kill" is written in primary list of moral codes (a sadly deficient list it is, I might add). There is absolutely no wiggle room - kill=bad=sin=hell. Our laws are more humanist. We have degrees of murder (killing with intent is worse than neglectful action resulting in death). We have the ability, within our legal code, to use self-defence as a reason to kill if the evidence can support it.

How can someone who has "all killing bad" drilled into their core values fairly represent someone who admits killing, but just wants the extenuating circumstances fairly represented in court? Our laws started out as christian values, but the evolution of our laws has been along humanist lines. Religion has no place here.

This is not correct. The translation is more literally "thou shalt not murder" but is translated as "kill" in many texts. The Bible does provide for killing in self defense, war fare and capital punishment. It forbids unlawful killing.

Just an FYI.

April 30, 2014, 11:36 a.m.

LOL this thread.

So awesome to be able to see so many experts on so many subjects all in one place - a mountain biking forum. :deadhorse::argue::lol:

Libre? Libre como el vienta……

April 30, 2014, 12:35 p.m.

Oh? And who exactly has laid claim to being an expert? Does one need to be an expert to have an informed opinion?

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

April 30, 2014, 1:17 p.m.

Oh? And who exactly has laid claim to being an expert? Does one need to be an expert to have an informed opinion?

What gets me in this thread is how people seem to think that it is okay for Trinity Western to discriminate against Gays and tried to use the whole private institution things as a by. Yet if this was any other business we all know that this would not be tolerated from any private company.

To lazy…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jWOamlD9_8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSXJzybEeJM

Reality is we have already been down this path 50 or so years ago. We didn't allow or made life difficult for blacks to go to law school for example. Yet some how we moved past that.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

April 30, 2014, 1:38 p.m.

What gets me in this thread is how people seem to think that it is okay for Trinity Western to discriminate against Gays and tried to use the whole private institution things as a by. Yet if this was any other business we all know that this would not be tolerated from any private company.

I agree with you on this point. The law school thing is semi-related, but presents other issues as well.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

April 30, 2014, 5:07 p.m.

I agree with you on this point. The law school thing is semi-related, but presents other issues as well.

Sorry…did we just agree for the second time in this thread?

I think I need a beer. :)

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

April 30, 2014, 5:42 p.m.

What gets me in this thread is how people seem to think that it is okay for Trinity Western to discriminate against Gays

how are they discriminating against gays? twu does not deny access to gay students.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 30, 2014, 5:45 p.m.

how are they discriminating against gays? twu does not deny access to gay students.

Splinks,theyre not gonna get it.

Just because they don't agree with homosexuality,doesnt mean they're against it.

Pastor of Muppets

April 30, 2014, 6:28 p.m.

don't have time to read it right now, coles notes version?

Imagine a group of people who come from an extremely diverse background who don't form an opinion and then fight to make it right. Now make them intelligent and able to hold many differing views of a topic in their heads all at the same time. Now let them each raise their concerns on the topic.

I did not plan on reading it all but once I started I couldn't stop and I've come out ahead because of it.

If you're truly interested in the reasons why they rejected TWU, it's pretty much all in there.

April 30, 2014, 6:40 p.m.

Just because they don't agree with homosexuality,doesnt mean they're against it.

I think you may have a fundamental misunderstanding of what homosexuality is. You can't agree or disagree with something someone was born being.

I can't wait for the KKK to re-brand themselves with the tag line: People don't get us, we're not racist, we just don't agree with being black.

April 30, 2014, 6:42 p.m.

Imagine a group of people who come from an extremely diverse background who don't form an opinion and then fight to make it right. Now make them intelligent and able to hold many differing views of a topic in their heads all at the same time. Now let them each raise their concerns on the topic.

I did not plan on reading it all but once I started I couldn't stop and I've come out ahead because of it.

If you're truly interested in the reasons why they rejected TWU, it's pretty much all in there.

oh great, so now i have to go and take away valuable time for nbr surfing to read something i'm not going to agree with anyway just because it seems to support your position.

thanks a lot.

Ellen Langer

April 30, 2014, 7:17 p.m.

I think you may have a fundamental misunderstanding of what homosexuality is. You can't agree or disagree with something someone was born being.

I can't wait for the KKK to re-brand themselves with the tag line: People don't get us, we're not racist, we just don't agree with being black.

Dammit. Good point.

See,this is why it's good to discuss things.

Pastor of Muppets

April 30, 2014, 7:47 p.m.

And gives you a by when it comes to calling people stupid if their views are different then yours.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

April 30, 2014, 7:54 p.m.

Ya but you can beat homosexuality if you would only pray hard enough