Trinity Western- Religious Freedom vs Human Rights

April 27, 2014, 8:22 p.m.

Surprised KenN hasn't been all over this.

Short version…..TWU policy of only allowing heterosexual activity at the school goes against our discrimination laws. Ontario, NS, and now BC lawyers are not amused.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/trinity-western-law-school-rejected-by-ontario-law-society-1.2621211

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/twu-president-casts-law-school-debate-as-religious-freedom-issue/article18185317/

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/trinity-western-blasts-n-ontario-law-societies-133637998.html

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Society+hold+vote+Trinity+Western+school+lawyer/9773016/story.html

More than twice the required number of signatures have been gathered to force the Law Society of B.C. to hold another vote in an attempt to withdraw approval of Trinity Western University’s law school, a Victoria lawyer said Thursday.

“The response has been overwhelmingly positive,” said Michael Mulligan, who said 1,303 written requests were collected in less than a week. It was well above the 650 votes needed to call a special general meeting to reconsider the approval, he said.

“I had an email yesterday from the president of the law society confirming that we had met the requirements to compel the special general meeting,” said Mulligan. “We’ve met the requirements, they’ve confirmed it, so the vote will take place.”

This move comes as Ontario’s law society voted Thursday to deny graduates of the Christian university’s planned law school — which bans homosexual activity among students and faculty — the right to practise in Ontario.

Many members of the Law Society of Upper Canada’s board of directors condemned the policy as “abhorrent,’’ though several said they would still vote in favour of allowing graduates to practise in Ontario. Ultimately there were 28 votes against accreditation to 21 in favour.

Earlier this month, the benchers (as directors are called) of B.C.’s law society voted 20-6 to allow the new law school.

Mulligan said the law society approved the application despite the university’s covenant that discriminates on the basis of sexual orientation. TWU requires that students and staff sign a Community Covenant including a provision prohibiting “sexual intimacy that violates the sacredness of marriage between a man and a woman.”

The new vote must be held within 60 days, Mulligan said, noting that if the members vote in favour of directing the benchers to deny accreditation to the law school, the benchers will then have 12 months to implement the resolution. “If they were so bold as to fail to implement a resolution like that from the membership, there’s then a process for a binding referendum to force them to do that.”

A petition has also been filed in B.C. Supreme Court by openly gay Vancouver park board commissioner Trevor Loke after Minister of Advanced Education Amrik Virk approved the new school.

Mulligan praised the Ontario decision. “I’m hopeful we’ll be able to get the B.C. law society on the right side of history here and get us on track in the same way the Law Society of Upper Canada resolved the issue today.”

Trinity Western president Bob Kuhn appealed to the Law Society of Upper Canada to avoid penalizing his students for their beliefs as it would signal to millions of Canadians with religious views that they are “not welcome in the public marketplace,’’ he said.

But Lawyer John Campion in his submission dismissed Kuhn’s pitch that the issue is one of freedom of religion.

Anyone is free to go to the school, he said, but its policies are discriminatory and contrary to public policy in Ontario, where gay marriage is embraced and common-law relationships are recognized.

“I don’t think we should take even a millimetre step backwards,’’ Campion said. “We can’t do it. All that work and all that trouble and all that pain and we’re going to take one little step backwards? I say no.’’

Lawyer Christopher Bredt, who voted for the school’s accreditation, said the Trinity Western covenant conflicts with his personal views, but the decision must be based on the law.

“There is no suggestion that the graduates of TWU are any more likely to discriminate than graduates of any other Canadian law school.’’

Kuhn touted his graduates’ achievements and said they are particularly engaged members of the community.

“It’s not a university of bigotry or a university of intolerance,’’ he said. “It’s a university the students leave saying, ‘I love this place.’”

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

April 27, 2014, 10:26 p.m.

shorter version.

twu enrollees must sign a covenant that says they will not dihonopur the sanctity of marriage as defined by their church.

this means that they will agree to not have sex out of wedlock while at the school.

shitbag doo goodersread this as anti gay rethoric and bleetmtomthe media to make this a bad political situation.

fucked up society.

/thread

Pastor of Muppets

April 27, 2014, 10:29 p.m.

BTW…enduramil,define heterosexual activity..

getting caught having "straight" sex unmarried will get you kicked out of twu.

Pastor of Muppets

April 27, 2014, 10:34 p.m.

I had my first threesome in a trinity western all girls dorm.

That school never fails to make me smile when I drive by.

Giggity.

April 28, 2014, 7:50 a.m.

BTW…enduramil,define heterosexual activity..

getting caught having "straight" sex unmarried will get you kicked out of twu.

So…basically the only way round all that inconvenience is to become a priest.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

April 28, 2014, 8:48 a.m.

I had my first threesome in a trinity western all girls dorm.

That school never fails to make me smile when I drive by.

Giggity.

christian schools and kids party the same as anywhere else

April 28, 2014, 9 a.m.

shitbag doo goodersread this as anti gay rethoric and bleetmtomthe media to make this a bad political situation.

Pretty much spot on … but the shit storm is still justified. Media is singling out the homer secksual aspect, because that's what's sexy in the news lately but that's just a small part of it.

Bigger picture is that the "covenant" is counter to basic human rights, and making future lawyers sign the covenant is starting off on the wrong foot. These are people who could enter public service as crown attornies or judges and skewing their world view on day one of their education is just wrong.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

April 28, 2014, 9:01 a.m.

shorter version.

twu enrollees must sign a covenant that says they will not dihonopur the sanctity of marriage as defined by their church.

this means that they will agree to not have sex out of wedlock while at the school.

fucked up society.

/thread

It pays to pay attention.

The actual issue is that their law program won't include any instruction on the rights of the LGBT community. They won't learn any of the legal issues or precedents.

This is the equivalent of ignoring all of the law that grants equality based on cultural heritage.

I fully support the Law Society's stand on this.

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

April 28, 2014, 9:19 a.m.

The actual issue is that their law program won't include any instruction on the rights of the LGBT community. They won't learn any of the legal issues or precedents.

This is the equivalent of ignoring all of the law that grants equality based on cultural heritage.

this….Christians need to stop caring so much about what consenting adults get up to in the bedroom.

April 28, 2014, 9:36 a.m.

media didn't report that^^ or did I miss it ?

April 28, 2014, 9:38 a.m.

But … the bible!

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/sex/long.html

Oh, and Jebus was having homosexual relations with John. It's in the bible.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

April 28, 2014, 9:47 a.m.

…..

Deuteronomy 22:13-21

13 If a man takes a wife and, after sleeping with her, dislikes her 14 and slanders her and gives her a bad name, saying, “I married this woman, but when I approached her, I did not find proof of her virginity,” 15 then the young woman’s father and mother shall bring to the town elders at the gate proof that she was a virgin. 16 Her father will say to the elders, “I gave my daughter in marriage to this man, but he dislikes her. 17 Now he has slandered her and said, ‘I did not find your daughter to be a virgin.’ But here is the proof of my daughter’s virginity.” Then her parents shall display the cloth before the elders of the town, 18 and the elders shall take the man and punish him. 19 They shall fine him a hundred shekels[a] of silver and give them to the young woman’s father, because this man has given an Israelite virgin a bad name. She shall continue to be his wife; he must not divorce her as long as he lives.

20 If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the young woman’s virginity can be found, 21 she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done an outrageous thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. You must purge the evil from among you.

Some more things that the Bible says people should die for, that are ignored by the Church:

- Having sex with a woman while she's menstruating.
- Not being circumcised.
- Eating leavened bread during the Feast of Unleavened Bread.
- Ignoring the verdict of a judge.
- Striking your parents.
- Cursing your parents.
- Being a stubborn and rebellious son.
- Being the victim of rape, if one is an engaged female virgin and the rape occurs in a city. If it takes place in a field, the victim is spared because nobody would have heard her screams.
- Kidnapping and selling a man. (Sorry Southern States, this one's for you)
- Trying to convert people to another religion.
- Practicing magic. (Does this include Magic: The Gathering?)
- Lying about virginity. Applies to girls who are still in their fathers' homes, who lie about their virginity.
- Adultery.

April 28, 2014, 9:59 a.m.

a christian education is good for being in that scene but they need to recognize the limitations of beliveing what they want

law and science would be 2 area's i can think of

April 28, 2014, 1:32 p.m.

this….Christians need to stop caring so much about what consenting adults get up to in the bedroom.

And to say that the church, school, and religion can't change are fucking stupid. If that wasn't possible we would still be selling and buying Africans as slaves and so on. Yet here we are in 2014 and Fast Orange can marry an Asian.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

April 28, 2014, 1:45 p.m.

I once had some kid tell me my engineering degree from BCIT was worthless compared to his ivy league level arts degree from Trinity Western.

Was somewhat amused.

I don't care what they teach, but if the professional group of lawyers feels like excluding them from being eligible due to missing out on important teachings (from a law perspective), then I'm cool with that too.