Trial Riding Thread - All Things Trials

Sept. 20, 2014, 5:36 p.m.

you're right, I'm sorry. My beer was getting warm waiting for the pics to load.

Sept. 20, 2014, 5:38 p.m.

new page helps too

Sept. 20, 2014, 5:40 p.m.

^^ see?!!?! Not just me.

thank god for new page. that apology took forever to type with the screen flashing up and down.

Sept. 20, 2014, 7:12 p.m.

you're right, I'm sorry. My beer was getting warm waiting for the pics to load.

Totally understand! :)

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

Sept. 20, 2014, 7:44 p.m.

yeah that a pretty epic set of pictures,
you wana talk more specifics about what route this was?

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Sept. 20, 2014, 8:54 p.m.

yeah that a pretty epic set of pictures,
you wana talk more specifics about what route this was?

Naw it's out there, when someone wants to go and put the effort into it, it will open up for them as it has for us, but just to put it out there, not really the way it works..

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

Sept. 21, 2014, 12:04 a.m.

My bike is up for sale - offering here first. 2007 Sherco 290. Needs a new headset probably, otherwise running great. Purchased from Mr. Norona a couple years ago. Haven't had time to ride it at all this year, so rather than have it sit in the garage another year someone should pick it up and get out there!

Hopefully when I get more time in a year or two I'll be back!

(photos on request, PM for deets, etc. prob looking for about $3500)

Sept. 21, 2014, 7:47 a.m.

My bike is up for sale - offering here first. 2007 Sherco 290. Needs a new headset probably, otherwise running great. Purchased from Mr. Norona a couple years ago. Haven't had time to ride it at all this year, so rather than have it sit in the garage another year someone should pick it up and get out there!

Hopefully when I get more time in a year or two I'll be back!

(photos on request, PM for deets, etc. prob looking for about $3500)

Bummer Mark! But for someone that is a great bike for a great deal! We will miss ya, but sure you'll be back!!

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

Sept. 21, 2014, 7:59 a.m.

hey mark, Maybe I can swing by and look at it in the next day or two? I'm looking for something newer….but ya never know.

Sept. 21, 2014, 11:35 a.m.

On the bike size, this is your choice. In europe where they beat us hands down in riders skill they ride 125 and 200 2 strokes. Here just like any north american sport guys always want the biggest. I ride a 200 because the power is so smooth and it allows me to ride better than many who are over biked. I suggest all women and men under 160 go a 200 and over that go 250, no one needs to go bigger. Many do because many older bikes are bigger cc, 280-300 are very snappy, and they ride nice but when you get into gnarly stuff they can be a handful, guys will tell you they ride them but until you see a very good trials rider, like a cnanadian champ, you really see most are just over biked. all of them will get you up anything and anywhere withou no down side to being smaller. But the bigger bikes are for spoiling up the throttle and climbing a vertical 10 footer, most riders do not do this.

This may be how it is in some areas of Europe, but it's not what I experienced growing up competing in the UK. Generally the only people you'll see there on anything smaller than a 250 are juniors. Your average clubman will pretty much always be on a 250, with the normal 300s (not the Raga rep) being the reserve of old guys, and the better experts riding the tuned up 270/280s.

This is generally down to the conditions and the type of riding being done - trials is largely a winter sport in the UK, which means mud and lots of it. In this case the smaller engines tend to lack a little torque, so you need to use more throttle, and work harder to keep traction on slippery climbs. The 300s are often tuned quite softly, so they're great for the older guys who want to pootle around on zero throttle, but lack the snap of the smaller bikes. The 250 generally offers a nice balance of controllable in the low end, but with enough power to snap up bigger steps when needed. The tuned up Raga rep type bikes are just overkill for most riders!

However, I'm not sure if the types of bikes ridden in Europe have any real bearing over here. Apart from the conditions being quite different, there's a bigger difference in the use case - people over there use their trials bikes pretty much exclusively for competition riding, whereas from what I've seen over here most people are using them more as trail / play bikes.

Sept. 22, 2014, 7:22 a.m.

Day Three! :)

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

Sept. 23, 2014, 10:16 p.m.

hey mark, Maybe I can swing by and look at it in the next day or two? I'm looking for something newer….but ya never know.

PM me - I'm out of town this week but around all weekend. You can take it for a spin at Ioco if you want. It's really a pretty good machine, still. A little work and she'd be running tip-top and as good as new.

-Mark

Sept. 24, 2014, 7:38 a.m.

Grab a beer and….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0qvxj7sgRU

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

Sept. 24, 2014, 7:58 a.m.

Thanks for doing something different, because post 1121 loads instantly Dave. Only the whiny can affect change.

Sept. 24, 2014, 5:11 p.m.

Naw it's out there, when someone wants to go and put the effort into it, it will open up for them as it has for us, but just to put it out there, not really the way it works..

PM me Adam. I know most if not all of those routes. No one was not born knowing the spot/routes, some one showed him at some time or shared some info. i can get you started.

WTF, Over?