Trial Riding Thread - All Things Trials

Sept. 15, 2014, 8:32 p.m.

From BikeRadar's Interbike coverage:

Sept. 15, 2014, 9:14 p.m.

Hey Bryan those old trials bikes any good at all ? i keep finding them just cheap enough to almost buy one so i can have a play bike for the winter and summer outings at ioco and eagle .. even a buddy bike for rookie just to go out for a rip.
I just can't find $3000 to buy a used currentish trials bike but when i see a TY or TL floating around for $700-$1000 i can hardly hold back

My dad still has a TY 175 sitting in his garage.

My first motorcycle race was riding one of those on Eagle ridge. It was actually a pretty suitable bike for the conditions. Awesome bike in their time, but they were soon replaced by a sea of red……the 1981 xr200r.

RIDE BIKES
:canada:

Sept. 16, 2014, 12:51 a.m.

I've seen them cruising around IOCO more than once, so sure why not.

The last time I rode ours was about 5 yrs ago…..it was fun. Pretty simple bikes so not much can go wrong. Air cooled, drum brakes….etc.

Sept. 16, 2014, 3:46 p.m.

Someone please school me on trials…

I live in Squamish [HTML_REMOVED] have been considering getting an enduro motorbike for a while now, but I'm now thinking that a trials bike might be a better bet. It seems like there are more trials bike friendly trails in the area [HTML_REMOVED] I like the fact that trials bikes are quieter [HTML_REMOVED] seemingly less destructive. I also like the idea of learning a new skill [HTML_REMOVED] after watching Norona's Chilcotins videos, it looks like they're a great tool for adventure too. Basically I'm sold, I just don't know where to start…

Bike - would a 280/300 be too much bike for a beginner with little motorized experience? $3-4K would be my preferred budget, but there don't seem to be many bike available on Craigslist, etc. at that price point. I don't really want to put the thick end of $3k into something that's 10 years old. What are the pros [HTML_REMOVED] cons of the various brands? Anything to watch out for? Gas Gas or Beta seem like safe bet

Maintenance - how long do the consumables (tires, clutch, brakes, etc.) last [HTML_REMOVED] what would the average running cost be like?

Gear - are trials specific boots necessary, or can I get away with moto boots? It looks like the gear requirement is pretty minimal - boots, moto pants [HTML_REMOVED] a helmet (dh mtb helmet ok?) to begin with. Anything else I should budget for?

Upgrades - would a stock bike be good to go, or do I need to budget for some upgrades? Those lanyard kill switches seem like a good idea

Riding it - what's the learning curve like? Is it relatively easy to pick up for an mtber with madd skillz?

Thanks very much!

Sept. 16, 2014, 4:05 p.m.

enduro motorbike for a while now, but I'm now thinking that a trials bike might be a better bet!!!

You bet, living in Squamish, it certainly is! You can ride the moto trails on a trials bike, but you can't (shouldn't) ride the trials trails on a moto.

If you can drive a manual and ride a bike, you can moto/trials. The only thing about trials is there's no seat for your tired ass during the learning curve. I'd look for one with a seat unless it's steep rockfaces you want to be climbing soon.

Sept. 16, 2014, 4:19 p.m.

I live in Squamish [HTML_REMOVED] have been considering getting an enduro motorbike for a while now, but I'm now thinking that a trials bike might be a better bet. It seems like there are more trials bike friendly trails in the area [HTML_REMOVED] I like the fact that trials bikes are quieter [HTML_REMOVED] seemingly less destructive. I also like the idea of learning a new skill [HTML_REMOVED] after watching Norona's Chilcotins videos, it looks like they're a great tool for adventure too. Basically I'm sold, I just don't know where to start…

Bike - would a 280/300 be too much bike for a beginner with little motorized experience? $3-4K would be my preferred budget, but there don't seem to be many bike available on Craigslist, etc. at that price point. I don't really want to put the thick end of $3k into something that's 10 years old. What are the pros [HTML_REMOVED] cons of the various brands? Anything to watch out for? Gas Gas or Beta seem like safe bet

Maintenance - how long do the consumables (tires, clutch, brakes, etc.) last [HTML_REMOVED] what would the average running cost be like?

Gear - are trials specific boots necessary, or can I get away with moto boots? It looks like the gear requirement is pretty minimal - boots, moto pants [HTML_REMOVED] a helmet (dh mtb helmet ok?) to begin with. Anything else I should budget for?

Upgrades - would a stock bike be good to go, or do I need to budget for some upgrades? Those lanyard kill switches seem like a good idea

Riding it - what's the learning curve like? Is it relatively easy to pick up for an mtber with madd skillz?

Thanks very much!

Well just to give you the info as I ride mtb, ride trials and ride moto.

If I did not head off camping a lot then i would not have a moto, they are a blast but there is currently one place for you to ride in squamish(cat lake or Lava flow) and trails are pinned and pretty tough for a newish rider. The track is a whole other animal and then your bordered by when it is open. Trials bikes are allowed on any trail within the district land of squamish, (by-law) then they are allowed on crown land and private areas like crumpet woods, which is all a trials area built by trials riders. That being said we don't ride a lot of the trails in summer due to the fact that you will run into a lot of riders and most don't know the deal. Crumpit woods is the easiest place to learn and get dialled. Just to give you an idea, Matt Ryan a wicked xc/all mountain rider who has won many enduro and most xc/all-mountain races in the sea 2 sky just got a trials bike and was blown away how hard it was, mountain bike skills will help but not right away. The best is to start easy, go slow and learn how the bike works and gets traction and your skills from mtb will come into play much sooner. Once you get dialled you won't want to be on the mtb trails as they are much to easy and will be seeking the alpine trails in the summer, britannia and elsewhere. We ride squamish a lot from now till snow and in the spring and especially at night. When ridden how they are supposed to a trials bike is less impactful than a hiker due to the 2-3 psi in the rear wheel and 6-7 in the front. If you wheel spin the back wheel it is not like a dirt bike or mtb with hard knobs to dig down or in on the way down hence the reason they are allowed on so many trails. If you live in squamish then you will become addicted very fast.

On the bike size, this is your choice. In europe where they beat us hands down in riders skill they ride 125 and 200 2 strokes. Here just like any north american sport guys always want the biggest. I ride a 200 because the power is so smooth and it allows me to ride better than many who are over biked. I suggest all women and men under 160 go a 200 and over that go 250, no one needs to go bigger. Many do because many older bikes are bigger cc, 280-300 are very snappy, and they ride nice but when you get into gnarly stuff they can be a handful, guys will tell you they ride them but until you see a very good trials rider, like a cnanadian champ, you really see most are just over biked. all of them will get you up anything and anywhere withou no down side to being smaller. But the bigger bikes are for spoiling up the throttle and climbing a vertical 10 footer, most riders do not do this.

On Cost, basically buy the newest cleanest bike you can afford. I say after you ride one season you will want new, but if you buy 3000-3800 be prepared to spend at least a 1000 on crap that breaks or needs replacing. 4-5 grand will get you a nice bike that won't need a lot but might need stuff in the coming year of riding, 5-6 will get you a 1-2 season old bike that is ready to ride. It is your choice where you decide. Basically what I add to my bike each year is a pull feather, plastic protection for fork, frame and rear swing arm, 2 air filters to change and some oil, that is it. Trials riding is cheaper than mtb by a long shot and ties last a year and a half but are expensive. the transmission fluid is changed every 5-8 rides and is 450ml and air filter when it is dirty and that is basically it for maintenance. They are pretty easy on the pocket book unless you ride over your head and break stuff then you will pay.

I ride for beta, so take this as you will, the two bikes i would look at at sherco-no limits or beta - diamond head. There are a lot of nice gas gas around and many riders love their gas gas bikes, however they do have a major transmission problem that affects a lot of bikes and it is not cheap to fix, a friend bought a gas gas 280- last summer and came to the shulaps with us and in two days his kickstand fell off, he was burning almost twice the fuel we were and he left after two days due to the fact that his bikes was trashed, he is a masters expert rider and one of the best moto enduro guys in the corridor so he knows how to ride…the sherco is nice, I had an 07 and loved it and the newer ones are sweet. Ossa, not many dealers and direct injection is cool but if you have an issue, good luck, Beta is the biggest company and the reason why I ride them is durability and fun factor…

For gear all I wear is trials boots, they are better than moto boots as moto boots are very stiff and have no sole so they slip on rock, trials boots are like wearing vans and grip also they are way more comfortable. I wear knee pads, race face or troy lee mtb work well, then mtb shorts and jersey or what ever and most of us started wearing a mtb full face which is a good idea, then you feel comfortable that riding is like xc so we all go to an xc mtb lid, then you go harder and want better protection so we all go trials specific…anything is fine, just remember its your brain and you can't ride without out it so get something that you feel comfortable with not what everyone else is doing.

Be prepared to have the most fun you have ever had in your life…we just did another 350km 5 days in the chilcotin and shulaps and you discover the most amazing terrain there is…anything else just ask. Check craigslist, www.trialscanada.com and 99trials on Facebook for sales…cheers dave PS I am in squeamish most days so hit me up and you can see my bike and I can answer any further stuff you want.

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

Sept. 16, 2014, 4:19 p.m.

Thanks very much!

my two bits - living in squmaish go with a trials bike thats a no brainer

get the best shape newest bike you can afford. I wouldnt sweat the CCs to much. might be harder to learn to kick over but with practice you can get it.

you can use a skid lid bike helmet but some boots are a good idea. work boots can work but they key is to have a flat sole, as in no cut out for the arch. trials moto boots are 300 bucks

wear items, cheaper than a mountain bike in my opinion, you can go 2 years on a rear tire but they cost 220 bux.

maintenance - you buy a 3k bike be prepared to wrench on it. just like if you were buying a 1500 dollar mountain bike that was 5 years old. not super expensive but its toolbox time.

upgrades- the lanyard is a worth it, these bikes dont stall out when they go down they can keep running because they have so much torque

what to buy - id spend more than less, if you dont like the sport you can always sell it and get your money out of it. all brands are good beta support is best, then gasgas then sherco/ossa IMO thats worth something since your doing your own wrenching.

Sept. 16, 2014, 4:35 p.m.

Norona has it nailed my only comments

- I like the 300 comming off the 250 mostly for the depth I have in 3rd gear. but frankly id buy either one if the right deal on a bike came up, its just not that big a factor IMO. really hard to find a used 200 so unless your buying new just get the best bike you can find.

-im a beta guy as well but the guys I know on gasgas bikes have had no problems and although the distributor is on the island they are easy to deal with and will courier parts to your house.

just remember its all about the alpine wheelie

Sept. 16, 2014, 6:40 p.m.

Yes Rat it is all about the alpine!!

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

Sept. 16, 2014, 7:49 p.m.

Well another year of no alpine trip for me. Oh well……………..next year for sure

Sept. 16, 2014, 8 p.m.

Well another year of no alpine trip for me. Oh well……………..next year for sure

Don't give up yet APT, there is still time on neverland, up up and away or rainbow, be happy to hit it with ya…were onto moto now at onion!! You have been to busy slaying endless waves, which I understand!!

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

Sept. 16, 2014, 8:02 p.m.

you know that basin in non motorized right? too bad some one on a big bike roosted the shit out of all the switch backs. they used to be climbable.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Sept. 16, 2014, 9:32 p.m.

you know that basin in non motorized right? ….

Not true. It's outside the park. All area on the other side of the bowl is park and non-motorized

Sept. 16, 2014, 11:10 p.m.

Thanks for the info guys… Much appreciated.

Stoked to give this a try!

Sept. 17, 2014, 5:59 a.m.

A couple more points…

Rockymountainatv.com has great tech videos. Watch them! You will need to learn some specific wrenching skills. I cannot say how many times I've seen a dry, unoiled air filter.

Buy a bike with a local dealership. You will need brand specific parts at some point in time.