Trial Riding Thread - All Things Trials

May 5, 2014, 4:28 p.m.

Buddy of mine just got the sidi discovery rain…and rides trials.
Seems to quite like them.

Did he get the boots just for trials?

here`s a hand full of videos that may help you learn some/more stuff….

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0z8o7OSde0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF5LFJ3Tx3w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBDQWUoOb2Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG3IyREyFVc

You get the picture….

Been watching Ryan Youngs video series too.

and in related boot news….

Can any cobbler work on moto boots?

I noticed a thread has come undo on the back on my boot. Fairly easy access sort of spot. Will regular cobblers work on boots or do you need to go to special place?

Don't think it answers your question but there is a guy right beside Save on by coquitlam center, I think he specializes in shoes/boots

Personally I would not try to get a boot that does too many things, trials is specific like xc or dh mtb, trying to do all with one boot usually falls short and you end up buying one specific for each sport eventually so now you purchased 3 boots instead of two. I would choose a specific trials boot as the feeling and flex really do matter and make a big difference…you can use moto boots like I said but you are sacrificing a lot which you might not see at first but as you ride more you will…for dual sport in my opinion you need something that is tougher and goes through more speed abuse with mud, water and protection…just my 2 cents.

Funds might be a problem to get two more pair in addition to my mx boots. The discovery rains don't seem that different than a trials boot but I am going to have to find some to try on.

Chainsmoker 8)

May 5, 2014, 5:19 p.m.

A friend of mine uses his Gaerne trials boots for dual purpose riding, but he may not venture as far off the road as some may. He has a XL650L and while they do get off-road, I'm not sure he go to vedder, eagle or mcnutt with it as he has a KTM 300 for that.

I've never heard him complain about protection, but I have heard him praise how comfortable the trials boots are to wear all day and walk around in.

He too has a trials bike.

At 200-400 bucks for boots, I can see why someone would like to split duties on them.

May 5, 2014, 6:58 p.m.

Just keep going on the work boots. that's the way I roll and I don't think it slows me down.

May 5, 2014, 7:32 p.m.

Hmmmm…… Marks work warehouse trials boots.

I'm going to give my work boots a go before buying something.
I can still where my mx shin guards.
Anyone looking for work boots, these are cheap and durable.
They get worn for work, trail work, hiking, etc.
I really don't want to spend $400 on some sidi's

Oh……there are downed trees all over the trials trails so went and took em out today.

Chainsmoker 8)

May 5, 2014, 8:39 p.m.

Ya he rides trials with the boots….used to race enduro but wanted a bit more ankle protection. Ive tried them on at maple ridge moto sports before. Nice but prefer my garenes as they are like slippers.

Many dualsport guys seem to seek out trials boots for the all day rides. Not sure how much protection you need for that speed.

As knight says your work boot will work just protect your shins. Moto pegs hurt!!!!! Once you ride abit you will get over the intial struggles.

I would not ride in anything but my boots as its just a good system. Boots, knee/shins and pants…..again once you start to ride more its fairly safe

Blogging - Never before have so many people with so little to say said so much to so few.

May 5, 2014, 9:01 p.m.

IOCO pics from early 70's.
Who needs trials boots…… or a helmet…Cool

Chainsmoker 8)

May 5, 2014, 9:47 p.m.

Welcome to the trials world buddy…..funny thing is you can still ride with most or all of those guys still!

Crazy sport that way. We regularly ride with 55 and 65 year old riders…..and they can school you. At 42 looks like i have a few years to go….

For me i always wanted a moto…. But the trials bike will go anywhere and i live 10 min from ioco. I knew it would be fun but its like the early shore riding days. Just bikes and trying to find new lines…..minus the risk.

Hell you can hang it out from time to time but most of the riding is just pure clean fun.

Blogging - Never before have so many people with so little to say said so much to so few.

May 5, 2014, 10:08 p.m.

Did you get any riding this past weekend Ando? Weather held up on saturday so i ended up at the kid's baseball game.

Sunday was a write-off but a good day to do maintenance on both the trials and enduro.

May 6, 2014, 10:58 a.m.

Ya I did some snooping around on eagle. Burned a full tank ta boot! Rode from 1-4 and managed to miss most of the rain in the canopy.

I found that new climbing trail that is not yet complete….that has some promising terrain for future trials.

I also found a few "shelters" that I did not know of before….

Gonna be out for a week as of tomorrow….going to see the no baby doctor.:|
Hope to get a new set of tires on in the mean time.

May 6, 2014, 1:27 p.m.

frozen peas are your new best friend.

my ribs are still fuxed. probably another week

May 6, 2014, 2:12 p.m.

if someone is a size 8

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GAERNE-BOOTS-TRIALS-MOTOCROSS-ENDURO-/291136142747?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0[HTML_REMOVED]hash=item43c910fd9b

May 6, 2014, 3:51 p.m.

I guess trials is good for going fast on MTB's.lol.

Steve Peat is doing the SSDT right now and has done it a few times in the past.

Rob Warner and Peaty messing around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE9y6iLBt58

May 7, 2014, 6:53 a.m.

Squamish Riding is wicked right now…

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

May 7, 2014, 7:27 p.m.

Look forward to check out Squamish.

After using the marks trials boots yesterday at ioco I wont be going back to the moto boots. Next time I'll try the roach leg armor instead of the mx shins for better coverage.

I got lost for half an hour in one area trying to find an easy way out.
So many trails
Maybe bring my GPS next time.
I need to find some more noobs to ride with.
Butler your pretty new? After work rides?

Going to try to bring the dog for week day rides and put him in the truck after a little riding.

Chainsmoker 8)

May 7, 2014, 7:55 p.m.

Ill ride after work on eagle. Have you explored the moto trails yet up there?