Trial Riding Thread - All Things Trials

July 25, 2013, 10:24 p.m.

Very nice Rat!!

July 26, 2013, 10:06 a.m.

so jealous! I wanna go play there! Well come aug I will be good to go….

until then I will have to ride local

Blogging - Never before have so many people with so little to say said so much to so few.

July 26, 2013, 9:56 p.m.

This is what I came up with for extra fuel, water and tool storage.

It consists of two Wolfman Bottle Holsters, a Small Rolie Bag, and one DeLuxe Mount Kit.

The rear bag attaches with a really neat strap and is very easy to remove (I need another strap to replace the clips I used for the other part of the mount). I probably won't need more than one bottle of fuel very often but the holsters will be handy for carrying water.

I like having my first-aid kit and tools right on the bike. It makes easy to go for a quick ride and still have everything I might need.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

July 27, 2013, 12:38 a.m.

Nice work. pack mule trials! I can see that setup being good for a back country trip. I am partial to not much on the bike as it goes for some good spills in the tech trials trails. We usually carry one bottle in the pack, litre an hour seems pretty reliable. 3 in the bike, 1 liter on the back =4hrs. For a big alpine trip the boys bring 4litre jerries.

Come join us for an ioco day? Always fun have a go with new people. lots of options of what to ride.

Blogging - Never before have so many people with so little to say said so much to so few.

July 27, 2013, 8:27 a.m.

we pack a 4 or 5 litre jerry plus bottles for the big rides. still i like the idea of even more gas. once your up in the alpine you can ride a long way. i find i like sitting down though when taking a short brake. those bottles wouldnt be great for that

July 27, 2013, 8:45 a.m.

I would try to mount one of those on the front forks, and put the other one in a backpack. Or just put both of them in a backpack. They are taking up valuable real estate that you wish you had when the going gets rough.

A hebo tank on the front forks is a nice addition, but at $100, it is a costly way to haul a litre of gas.

A short to med ride, I will just throw 1 or 2 1 litre msr bottles in a backpack. A longer day ride, I have a bigger backpack and haul a 5l jerry can. At $5.00 it is the most cost effective way to go. For big day rides, I have found this to be an ideal solution.

My problem lies with overnight trips. I have a bigger pack for that, but with the 5l in the bottom, I am forced to leave some of my luxury items at home.(beer)

I think I am just going to throw down, and evolve my system to this;

http://liquidcontainment.com.au/cartpage/viewproduct/17/3-5-litre-back-pack

I am thinking of having 2-3.5l bladders. I should be able to carry those on the outside of my pack, secured with carabiners on overnight trips. They should also fit nicely inside my pack for day trips and also be easier to pack stuff around than a 5l jerry can.

They are pricey, but I found most good things are.

July 27, 2013, 9:01 a.m.

I would also move the gps to either your backpack or to a jacket with an inside pocket, and the screen towards your body. Although it looks cool, and is super convienent, it can get expensive sending it back to montreal at $175 a pop to get repaired. On top of the obvious wiping out, I have found that my gps shuts itself off if I am riding faster, like on a road section. Too many vibrations I think.

July 27, 2013, 10:04 a.m.

I don't think the forward mounted bottle will get in the way. The rear mounted one possibly might but I haven't had a problem yet. I'll try putting it on the fork and see how it fits. The bag on its own makes a not bad seat.

The reason I put this together is to use it on my backroad explorations. I live near tons of old logging roads and trails. I ride right from our house and not needing to carry a pack is nice in this warm weather, I can just hop on the bike and go.

The gps was there to map a few trailheads I found. I wouldn't keep it on there for really technical riding.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

July 27, 2013, 10:11 a.m.

If you are dead set against wearing a backpack, I have seen a few people with these, and it seemed to work well.

http://ogio.com/flight-vest

July 27, 2013, 12:29 p.m.

I've seen those before and wondered what they are like.

I'm not against using a backpack, I've got some excellent ones but I think it is nice to not always have that weight on my back. With a bottle of water and my tools I've got all I need for a quick ride.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

July 27, 2013, 4:25 p.m.

Here are a few quick shots to show how it fits with a rider on the bike.

Standing with rear mounted bottle.

Crouching with some room to spare.

Bottle mounted on the front of the bike.

Seated.

I like the bottle mounted up front. I'll have to fill it up and see how noticeable the weight is. Once I get a few more rides on it I'll know if the setup is workable.

If it turns out it's not, I just strap the holsters to my pack. :)

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

July 28, 2013, 11:57 a.m.

Such a bike doesn't exist unfortunately. That is why some of us have a trials bike and a dirt bike, and some even have a dual sport.

My kdx is close to what you are looking for, but, you would have to buy one, and build it to suit the purpose. There goes the cheap requirement.

Once you take a dirt bike anywhere a trials guy is having fun, I guarantee the dirt biker isn't. Vice versa.

Take out the cheap requirement, and the sherco x-ride 2.9 looks promising.

Ok, I just thought of a bike that can putt with a trials bike, has a low seat, is cheap and newbie friendly……..Honda CT70. Not very manly but there you go.

the closest bike to the one asked about is the gas gas pampera. They dont make it any more and they are hard to find but would fit the bill. In Spain they even come street legal.
so basically what you said, it may not exist.

WTF, Over?

July 28, 2013, 12:31 p.m.

My buddy has one of those for his wife. Great bike no doubt. As you mentioned, seeing how they don't make them any more they seem to be holding their value. Some guy down south has been asking some crazy price for like the last 6 months. A good price seems to be roughly 3-3.5 k.

July 28, 2013, 12:54 p.m.

^^^^ makes me wonder why they would not( or other manufactures) make a model like that, or some thing more similar.
The KTM 350 Freeride comes to mind as a cross over/hybrid bike, but also sadly not available in NA…

WTF, Over?

July 28, 2013, 1:23 p.m.

An old friend bought one from Australia and had it imported and is pretty happy with it. He had it up at onion lake and said it was riding pretty well. It's still a pretty tall bike considering it only has 10" travel front and rear. Pretty cool bike for someone though.