Trial Riding Thread - All Things Trials

Nov. 4, 2014, 12:46 p.m.

Was looking at that this morning. Looks good. Hopefully it takes off like ossa did. Jotagas looked promising when it came out but you don't hear much about them.

http://jotagas.com/eng/trial.html

Nov. 11, 2014, 8 a.m.

Changed the rear tire on my trials bike and she's being a little bit fickle trying to get the bead to seat. Any tips?

I smeared some of the grease around that was from the old tire and also tried some soap and water but it seems like both side have about 8" or so that won't seat.

What pressure do you find the tire ends up seating at?
Is it a special type of grease(seems like grease) that they use for seating the head?

Nov. 11, 2014, 8:19 a.m.

I use 2 ratchet straps and dish soap. I am getting way better at it, although it is still one of my least favorite activities. If you continue having problems, I may be able to help out in exchange for some sort of barley and hop flavored beverage whilst I work.

Nov. 11, 2014, 8:25 a.m.

Changed the rear tire on my trials bike and she's being a little bit fickle trying to get the bead to seat. Any tips?

I smeared some of the grease around that was from the old tire and also tried some soap and water but it seems like both side have about 8" or so that won't seat.

What pressure do you find the tire ends up seating at?
Is it a special type of grease(seems like grease) that they use for seating the head?

Use a rachet strap and u need a high pressure hose, but be careful best to have two people. The rachet helps by putting it length ways around the middle of the tire, this pushes the bead out and when you blast air in it will seat partly, undo rachet and fill.

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

Nov. 11, 2014, 8:48 a.m.

I've used a rubber mallet to whack the tire near the spot it won't seat. The bead was getting hung up for some reason and the shock of the hammer made it pop right in.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

Nov. 11, 2014, 9:20 a.m.

I have also used a rubber mallet.

My other advice is wear eye protection. When the bead finally seats, it can throw whatever you were using to help seat the tire right in your eyes.

Not fun getting dish soap in your eyes. Trust me on that one.

Nov. 11, 2014, 10:46 a.m.

I have the tire airing up just troubles getting the last bit of the bead to seat.

Nov. 16, 2014, 5:39 p.m.

If anyone has some decent links to good quality, used trials bikes, and some buying recommendations, post up here. I'm very keen to get into the sport. Figure I have 4ish k for a used bike if such a thing exists. Need to stay within budget so I can get boots, some soft gear, maybe a helmet if my TLD D2 isn't suitable, a hitch tray, and other odds and ends.

Nov. 16, 2014, 6:05 p.m.

You can get a solid 1st bike for $4k. There were a few that came up for sale in that price range about a month or two back.

Hitch tray = princess auto special usually about $100

As for gears, aside from riding boots, all your MTB gears can be used for trial riding. Many riders use XC MTB helmets.

Nov. 16, 2014, 6:08 p.m.

I'd say 4k is a good budget but the market is super limited at the moment.

I would say boots would be a must and pretty much all your MTB will get you by for the time being. D2 is perfect for winter riding. I use my Bell Enduro in the summer and sometimes use my D2. I'd like to get a Airoh Trr but seems like throwing money away at the moment.

One can get a hitch carrier for $100(princess auto) but the quality and durability might be questionable. I have one but only use it in rare emergencies and it's worked awesome.

If your budget is 4k, you'll likely find that most of that will be needed to get a decent bike.

Have you ridden one yet? Pretty fun sport.

Nov. 16, 2014, 6:16 p.m.

If anyone has some decent links to good quality, used trials bikes, and some buying recommendations, post up here. I'm very keen to get into the sport. Figure I have 4ish k for a used bike if such a thing exists. Need to stay within budget so I can get boots, some soft gear, maybe a helmet if my TLD D2 isn't suitable, a hitch tray, and other odds and ends.

Keep an eye on Craigslist for bikes [HTML_REMOVED] also join the 99 Trials Facebook page. Lots of bikes for sale [HTML_REMOVED] local knowledge on there.
I chopped the chin bar off my old D2 with a Dremel - makes a great trials helmet.
I bought this hitch rack. Its alloy, so much lighter than the Princess Auto rack [HTML_REMOVED] it shouldn't corrode as much.

I'm stoked with my bike… You'll love it.

Nov. 16, 2014, 9:26 p.m.

No limits in Squamish has or had two used bikes around the 5g range.

Jan. 6, 2015, 8:19 p.m.

Wow this thread was a few pages back

Was wondering what the trials tail on eagle mtn was called ? and if anyone had some video ?
joining the trials game here shortly 2001 gas gas 280

RIDE BIKES
:canada:

Jan. 6, 2015, 8:33 p.m.

There is no trail and if there was it is nameless

Jan. 7, 2015, 11:05 a.m.

Wow this thread was a few pages back

Was wondering what the trials tail on eagle mtn was called ? and if anyone had some video ?
joining the trials game here shortly 2001 gas gas 280

Looks like another mtb will be gathering dust! been hiking somewhere cdn-rider?