Trial Riding Thread - All Things Trials

April 29, 2014, 11:45 a.m.

killing me! wanna go back there soooo bad….

No time this week.

Blogging - Never before have so many people with so little to say said so much to so few.

April 29, 2014, 12:57 p.m.

http://www.cli-maxridinggear.com/gaerne-balance-oiled-boot-brown/

good price on a nice boot.

Looks good.
Just heading out for my first ride, with mtb full face and work boots.

Chainsmoker 8)

April 29, 2014, 1:40 p.m.

Just heading out for my first ride, with mtb full face and work boots.

This works too………………..

April 29, 2014, 4:06 p.m.

This works too………………..

The ghetto look kind of matches the bike that looks like it fell out of a truck.

I can see I might want a little more boot protection from the pegs.
Stopped by mountain to look at boots and helmets today. He doesn't have the balance boots but has a couple others.

Things I learned from my first trials ride.

- My other bikes will be collecting dust
- Don't ride to far from your vehicle on your first ride on a ten year old bike that you paid 2 grand for.
- It's a lot harder to push a 160 pound bike than a 35 pound bike.

I guess the bike didn't like being upside down after about an hour and a half of riding. I had no tools.
Good thing it was pretty much all down hill back to the truck.

Chainsmoker 8)

April 29, 2014, 4:26 p.m.

oooh. bummer. What is the diagnosis?

WTF, Over?

April 29, 2014, 4:40 p.m.

Alpinestars tech 3 work for me for now. Good practise to keep my feet on the pegs as much as possible. As mentioned earlier they are not good for walking on slippery rocks!

April 29, 2014, 4:43 p.m.

this seems like a pretty good deal too.
http://www.cli-maxridinggear.com/gaerne-balance-pro-tech-boot/

April 29, 2014, 5:14 p.m.

this seems like a pretty good deal too.
http://www.cli-maxridinggear.com/gaerne-balance-pro-tech-boot/

I think those are the balance less the waterproofing

Alpinestars tech 3 work for me for now. Good practise to keep my feet on the pegs as much as possible. As mentioned earlier they are not good for walking on slippery rocks!

Maybe I'll try my Tech 7s next time

oooh. bummer. What is the diagnosis?

No idea :dizzy:
I thought buying a bike from a member of a club would be fairly safe
He rode it all day Sunday. I watched some of the competition.
I'm a noob when it comes to motors and carbs. May google be my friend.

Chainsmoker 8)

April 29, 2014, 6:13 p.m.

I think those are the balance less the waterproofing

Maybe I'll try my Tech 7s next time

No idea :dizzy:
I thought buying a bike from a member of a club would be fairly safe
He rode it all day Sunday. I watched some of the competition.
I'm a noob when it comes to motors and carbs. May google be my friend.

all the club members are good folks, remember on an older bike things can be finicky, so i would call or e-mail and ask, i am sure he will help you out what the issue might be…good luck…I would have suggested paying a bit more as I tell most people to spend 4-5500 and you will get a problem free bike that is only a few years old and will run perfectly….that does not help you out right now just good for others looking…i am sure the issue is totally solvable and like I said a 2000-3500 dollar bike usually needs 100-1000 dollars worth of work..

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

April 29, 2014, 6:23 p.m.

all the club members are good folks, remember on an older bike things can be finicky, so i would call or e-mail and ask, i am sure he will help you out what the issue might be…good luck…I would have suggested paying a bit more as I tell most people to spend 4-5500 and you will get a problem free bike that is only a few years old and will run perfectly….that does not help you out right now just good for others looking…i am sure the issue is totally solvable and like I said a 2000-3500 dollar bike usually needs 100-1000 dollars worth of work..

Thanks, I'm not too worried. I was looking to spend a little more but the market is limited right now. I get to learn a little about wrenching on 2 stroke trials bikes while looking for something a little newer.

Starts first kick again now, must have been the thorough plug cleaning I gave it.=/

Chainsmoker 8)

April 29, 2014, 8:11 p.m.

Thanks, I'm not too worried. I was looking to spend a little more but the market is limited right now. I get to learn a little about wrenching on 2 stroke trials bikes while looking for something a little newer.

Starts first kick again now, must have been the thorough plug cleaning I gave it.=/

Great to hear, one thing you might want to look at is the tether. trials bikes can pin wide open and be impossible to shut of due to the fact that the engine gains momentum and because it is gear so low it won't shut off sometime until the engines demise. You wear the tether on your wrist and if you fall off the magnet pulls and it shuts off…I won't ride without mine…something to look into next time your at Mountain Motorcycle… here is the video and you can transfer it to your next bike…see ya out on the trails!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC7XcLjs9DE

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

April 29, 2014, 9 p.m.

Rat learned first hand about the advantage of the tether today at britannia. Would have to fish the bike out of a gully if it werent for the tether

April 29, 2014, 9:33 p.m.

And it probably saved it falling on top of me. My ribs hurt and I have a nasty Charlie horse still

April 30, 2014, 10:58 a.m.

ya the tether is worth every bit of the $80. My bike did not have one….looking back most of the parts broken on my bike would not have broken or been less severe if I had a tether.

Its nice to know that when you let the bike go it will shut down. These things have so much torque they keep going…and if they hit a tree and pinch the throttle cable to the moon Alice.

Blogging - Never before have so many people with so little to say said so much to so few.

May 1, 2014, 3:32 p.m.

Seems like cheap insurance.
Leonelli brand at mountain for $55.
Grabbed one.
Think he has some more.

Chainsmoker 8)