Trial Riding Thread - All Things Trials

Sept. 16, 2013, 11:39 a.m.

Is there an oversized bearing you could go to that still retains the same internal diameter? Or you could machine a brass insert? I would check the price of a hub(new and possibly used), price of a used wheel and your machining options. I would think a place like mongoose engineering could have some options for you on the machining side of things, unless of course you have a guy?

I would think to properly machine the hub you would need to de-lace the wheel, so that might factor into your options.

Sept. 16, 2013, 11:42 a.m.

where the bearings seat is OK(I think but i need to pull out whats left of the bearing race.) just eh internal part where the spacer goes is totally grooved out.

ill take some pics tonight.

Sept. 16, 2013, 11:48 a.m.

check out bob's doggy pack on the beta with 4 1 liter bottles

id only use it on really big days, i can backpack 5 litres pretty easy. still it adds range

Sept. 16, 2013, 12:36 p.m.

^^^^it appears that the trials bike is being utilized in ways that the original intent. (which is good, and looks fun as hell)With out knowing a damn thing about them, are these all competition trials bikes? Or is there any models that are specifically built for trail riding and exploring? If so, why dont the makers just make the f'in tanks bigger or make an add on option? I know some do, but why not out of the box options for all of the "non comp" trials bike model. Not hating, just curious if they are missing the point a bit with the intent of their customers. Or, is it just more of a BC, or PNW thing?

WTF, Over?

Sept. 16, 2013, 12:39 p.m.

It is your standard comp trials bike.

I'd say this it is more of PNW thing because our terrain (the good ones) are more suitable for trials bike vs enduro

Sept. 16, 2013, 1:50 p.m.

^^^^it appears that the trials bike is being utilized in ways that the original intent. (which is good, and looks fun as hell)With out knowing a damn thing about them, are these all competition trials bikes? Or is there any models that are specifically built for trail riding and exploring? If so, why dont the makers just make the f'in tanks bigger or make an add on option? I know some do, but why not out of the box options for all of the "non comp" trials bike model. Not hating, just curious if they are missing the point a bit with the intent of their customers. Or, is it just more of a BC, or PNW thing?

Beta makes a long range kit for it which is basically 4 litres and a seat on top.

its 600 bucks which for the few days I need it is a bit much. riding with 3 or 4 liters in the backpack is easy and good for most rides

Sept. 16, 2013, 2:15 p.m.

Beta makes a long range kit for it which is basically 4 litres and a seat on top.

its 600 bucks which for the few days I need it is a bit much. riding with 3 or 4 liters in the backpack is easy and good for most rides

Ya, that is kinda pricey i guess. But a perfect type of set up, no? I think i payed 350 for my Clarke long range tank for my RM and a seat is about 50ish. So that is a bit gougey. i know there is no reason to have a seat on a comp trials bike, but the seat would be great for catching your breath and taking a sip of water or a bite to eat. I dont think i can hold out much longer for one of these bikes. I have been debating if for a while now.

WTF, Over?

Sept. 16, 2013, 2:18 p.m.

I have that very tank and seat option…it is nice but can get in the way. It adds 4 liters and a nice little seat to boot

but as APT said its just a BC/PNW - long range thing. We have such good terrain here to go on epic long "trials" rides the original intent of the bike has changed….from a fuel perspective but the rest remains the same. You need that style of bike to maneuver.

You need all the "seat" clearance you can get to climb the big steeps ect….as they are crazy sustained climbs and tech. You would never get into these trails on a standard moto. And if you did once you spun out you would never get going again.

As for RAT….would you beat that poor thing! that sucks…..

Get a new bike! ha

Blogging - Never before have so many people with so little to say said so much to so few.

Sept. 16, 2013, 2:21 p.m.

Ya, that is kinda pricey i guess. But a perfect type of set up, no? I think i payed 350 for my Clarke long range tank for my RM and a seat is about 50ish. So that is a bit gougey. i know there is no reason to have a seat on a comp trials bike, but the seat would be great for catching your breath and taking a sip of water or a bite to eat. I dont think i can hold out much longer for one of these bikes. I have been debating if for a while now.

Do it….the bikes are amazing…such a hybrid of mtb and moto. They go anywhere. And the sitting down thing you get over that in about 2 minutes. Everyone asks that question, isn't it hard to stand up all the time? The reality is you never want to sit unless you stop for a break. Other than that its on all the time.

Blogging - Never before have so many people with so little to say said so much to so few.

Sept. 16, 2013, 2:22 p.m.

actually for sitting down taking a break the stock plastics are surprising comfortable. They are more comfortable than doing it on a moto seat where you can hardly touch the ground.

a hebo tank on the bars is another way to go if you just want an extra liter

Sept. 16, 2013, 2:53 p.m.

I think they also make. 4 l tank for the bars. A wee but too much on the steering end of the bike for me, but I've never tried it so who knows. I have a 1l tank and took it off. Haven't felt the need to put it back on either….

Sept. 16, 2013, 3:44 p.m.

Heck, the number of times I actually need more than 4 litres are pretty rare. My body usually ran out of gas before the bike.

Sept. 16, 2013, 8:55 p.m.

I looked for a pic of the dog bags on rat's bike, but I didn't actually take many pictures of it so here he is in action.

Here is my bike without dog bags. I do have 8l of gas in my backpack.

Here I am doing a little exploring, and what I feel having a trials bike is all about.

Although this makes me want to ride my bike even more.

Here is one from the top of poison mountain. It was a solo mission as Rat had an exploded wheel.

Oh it is a rough life!!!

Sept. 16, 2013, 8:58 p.m.

I find I need to take 5 l for most big rides and I am fine. I don't like to be coming back on fumes.

Apt, how are the ribs doing?

Sept. 16, 2013, 9:20 p.m.

The ribs are progressing for sure. I thought I was all good to go since I have been surfing with only minor discomfort until my ribs slipped again this morning.

I should try to ride locally and see how I feel. At least I know how to pop the rib back in place now.

The second to last pic is amazing