Trial Riding Thread - All Things Trials

May 29, 2012, 9:34 a.m.

really cory? how many pictures like this one can I find in 2 minutes online?

May 29, 2012, 9:44 a.m.

really sven?

Dumbest post of the day award goes to you.

That shot of buddy blasting a blown out Kamloops dust berm really applies to this.

WTF. If you are gonna play devils advocate then "pic" a better argument.

You see what I did there?

C4 Rider Training 2013

Contact me at: [email protected]

I am not so good at returning PM's as some have noticed.

c4race.com

May 29, 2012, 9:52 a.m.

where's shaloamer when you need him?

May 29, 2012, 9:56 a.m.

while we are at it sven can you explain why your avatar pic is of a girl peeing on a snake?

C4 Rider Training 2013

c4race.com

May 29, 2012, 10:16 a.m.

random internet picture.

May 29, 2012, 10:20 a.m.

Wow… for a second I thought this was about Ontario trails. Then I remembered it was in BC.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 29, 2012, 10:31 a.m.

is that really a concen of yours? its more likley on mtb than anything since we recreate so close town.

some dick did put a rake through our beer stash building though.

No I am just messing you to some extent but also pointing out if you piss off non-motorized users they may want to play nasty ?

BUT there is all kinds of shit in this world you used to do but you can't do anymore, you can't make a lot of jokes, you can't smoke in a bar, I used to rat around all over Burnaby mtn on a dirt bike sometimes we rode with open expansion chambers, motrocross knobbies, we rode every where from the golf course on around to what we called "7 bridges" , the university all over the fucking place BUT I am thinking I could no longer do that and I wouldn't try and my point is that the BC in BC is just a much smaller place

I am 13 hrs from the nearest major center but still we have landuse issues so they are adressing them sooner than later before it all get fucked up so they will be doing a Recreation Acess Management Plans or RAMP, there will be a winter RAMP and a ssumer RAMP which is basicly cutting up the BC and giving the various stakeholders their share of the BC pie, long time motor heads don't like it, want the freedom to go where ever they can git

Actualy in the local mtn bike scene there is zero public issue with the mtn bike trails but I noticed they all have BC parks signs on them so a motorized user might get in legitimate trouble from parks, an ex roomie is a parky he sez if a user is from out of town and claims he got lost he might get away with being in the wrong place but the local is going to get a ticket, he was also talking about using cameras to catch motor heads

I used to drive motors but nowadays I don't own any rec equipment that can't be fueled with a salami sandwich and a beer

May 29, 2012, 11:30 a.m.

The whole argument that trials bike don't do damage is a load of crap.

I am a fan, but it's time the trials guys are treated the same as the moto guys.

Stay off the MTB trails with you trials bikes.

Stay off the MTB trails with your electric bikes.

They are called MTB trails for a reason.

They do get wheel spin. Maybe the super experienced guys can do it right but not everyone.

I was on an trail with a group 2 days ago and a trials guy went thru and ripped the shit out of it.

Maybe trials riders should work for 20 yrs on advocacy as the MTB crowd has and they wouldn't need to justify the poaching of MTB trails?

Actually Cory you are sadly mistaken, they are multi-use trails not mountain bike trails. Trials Bikes are allowed anywhere in the district of squamish, check the by-law, they were the first user group allowed by Bob Fast into Crumpit Woods on his private land. They have also been in the Squamish Valley a lot longer than mountain biking.( READ THIS! http://www.tourismsquamish.com/activities/trials-riding ) If you ride there your more than likely riding on trials based trails not mountain bike trails. E-mail Cliff at [email protected] to find out for yourself.

The trails we ride in crumpit are trails mountain bikers can't ride for the most part and if you see us we are travelling on a trail to get to another area so yes you will run into them, occasionally I would say 1 in 10 rides out most likely. Mountain Bikers have also destroyed parts of the trials trail on Rainbow by skidding down it…check it out next time you use a heli to drop in or on Goat Mountain and Britannia where mountain bikers have shown up, changed trails, changed lines so that they can ride them, put arrows in trees to show people the way down, maybe we should get all trials bikers to drop into fromme and do the same…you can't have it just one way…

For the most part sharing works, it is just a few pouty people who complain about everything, again not the norm and we seem to bark at each other with no effect. I do it all and when I was running in Ioco after paddling over, or riding in squamish as I did for over 12 years 3-days a week i ran into trials bikes, dirt bikes, other mountain bikers and horseback riders and dog walkers and everyone one of them I greeted with a smile and a hello in my 2 second encounter with them, happy people are out enjoying stuff they like to do, not what I think is the best thing to do….I never once asked myself if they belonged or should be allowed?

The other day Big Red Ted was unloading his trials on mamquam FSR road to go work on the new climbing trail he is building, some mountain bikers started to harass him about his motorbike, here is the leading guy in the corridor getting yelled at by mountain bikers, he kindly retorted that it was a trials bike and he is allowed to ride it, then again he retorted that he was using it to get up to his machine to build a new trail etc…Ted does not like to go there with people but it shows the type of individual you are creating with your attitude Cory especially the young racers you are showing the way. These guys have no clue, and they are spouting off to someone who's trails they are probably riding and enjoying. There are many instances of this, guys yelling at trials riders on Danimal in Whistler at the guy who built it on his trials bikes for trials…
Kim and I were greeted with the evil eye by some chick in Crumpit, she said we were not allowed to be there, I kindly told that these were trials bike and yes we are allowed, she did not want to hear it so I told her to contact SORCA.

In my mind SORCA has done a bad job in promoting the fact that mountain bikers are on multi-use trails and they ride, moto(around the Lava Flow -STP) and trials trails as well and they need to share, if there is miss-use than that should be reported and dealt with. By not using their web site and facebook applications to show case these issues they are letting people dream up what should be allowed or not allowed on their own, which is clearly something most individuals can't do, especially ones who think what they do is pure and what others do is not

It is comments like yours that build resentment by users. the biggest issues going on in squamish are rogue building by the mountain bike crowd, not getting proper permits, but building anyway, one in fact involves a board member of SORCA stepping down. If you wanna have a relationship with the community you have to learn to play in it with all users. There are agreements in place for the dirt bikes to stay off trails that they could rightfully ride, they don't because SORCA, SDBA and other groups have started to work together. If you don't want it that way then it will be a free for all which won't work well.

Use some of your wit and experience to enlighten those younger riders your coaching and show them that there are many ways to play, one is not better or feels better or makes you a better person. Part of coaching kids is enlightening them on real world issues, otherwise they grow up to be elitist pricks…

Your statements show the the entitlement of mountain bikers and how they think if they ride it then it is a mountain bike trail and no one else belongs on it….with those statements your basically a hiker in sheep clothing.

On the issue of blue smoke, some guys don't know how to jet their bike, the best thing you can do is to help them or give them tips, we are now using a fuel that is way cleaner and basically odourless for ourselves and other riders…the sad part about this is your teaching negative things to kids who are listening to you because you are in a position of teaching. This is tragic when you yourself have not spent time on a trials bike to compare the differences between them and motos, you like many just assume it is easier, or way worse on the environment, or better or worse for you or wrecks a trail more or less…they never get the full information because you did not take the time to think before you spoke….imagine if you were the hike and i was the mountain bikers, cause all you have done here is shifted the blame game, not solve anything. Happy sports to everyone, which ever way you do it or what sport…

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

May 29, 2012, 11:30 a.m.

there are two sets of rules out there

"the Man's" rules and your rules.

for example I wouldn't braid a trail on a MTB or ride a Moto where it will fuck up someone else's trail even if its allowed there

But I would ride my mountain bike on a trail "the Man" closed for no reason in particular. I must have ridden past a "not mountain biking" sign 150 times on Seymour. Ill bet so did every sitting executive in the history of the NSMBA

Sometimes "The Mans" rules line up with your own personal compass and sometimes they don't. sometimes the consequences of breaking the "The Man's" is just to great to fuck with.

Everyone deals with this, every day . Id like to think my compass is pointing in a pretty solid direction, but then don't we all.

May 29, 2012, 11:39 a.m.

But I would ride my mountain bike on a trail "the Man" closed for no reason in particular. I must have ridden past a "not mountain biking" sign 150 times on Seymour. Ill bet so did every sitting executive in the history of the NSMBA

Mountain Hwy above the yellow gate had a "no mountain bikes" sign on it (near where the BP crosses it) for a decade or so at least from the 1990s. Unfortunately, I never saw it because it was like 15 feet off the ground.

May 29, 2012, 12:01 p.m.

Okay Dave I'll bite.

First off let's not get into the "who is setting a better example" argument.

When I am an on xc trail and a guy rips by on a MC of any kind and does damage I see an issue. Next time I will take a pic of all the mini roosts.

We were on Wonderland on a Sunday afternoon. If you have a motor than go way "Out There". Problem with most motorized folks is they often lack the awareness and tact that the average MTBer has.

All groups have bad seeds.

Mult-Use trail thing in Squam would pack more weight if any actual trials risers showed up on a SORCA trail day. Not a trials/MTB combo person. A trials only person.

This issue will continue to be contentious as more people buy trials bikes. Blaming the jetting? 2-strokes blow blue wether they are jetted right or not. C'mon Dave I've been motoing longer than you can obviously realize.

Giving Ted a hard time generally requires a brave human.

C4 Rider Training 2013

c4race.com

May 29, 2012, 12:01 p.m.

Out of all people I thought Cory would do a better job educating his group of riders about different user groups because he rides both MTB and Moto.

May 29, 2012, 12:02 p.m.

These guys have no clue, and they are spouting off to someone who's trails they are probably riding and enjoying. There are many instances of this, guys yelling at trials riders on Danimal in Whistler at the guy who built it on his trials bikes for trials…

Seb Kemp touched on this in a article he did for Dirt on the trails of the Whistler valley. He mentioned how trails like Cut Yer Bars where orginally cut by Moto Trials riders.

It appears that Wayne P's earlier observation about mountain bikers is bang on.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 29, 2012, 12:10 p.m.

FYI Wonderland was built by a guy who rides moto. I'd imagine he might just have ridden it in his trials bikes too.

The alpine trails posted earlier are maintained almost 100% by trials riders.

Most of the trials riders I have ridden with have way more skill than mountain biking skidiots

But don't let inconvenient facts get in the way of e-arguments

May 29, 2012, 12:13 p.m.

really cory? how many pictures like this one can I find in 2 minutes online?

I wouldn't call it blasting a berm as coming to a stop in a pile of sand.. his lame neck brace shows he can't ride anyway.

Saying a moto does less damage than a bike is pretty funny. regardless we all do damage. can't we just hug it out?

p.s. Fuck anyone that rides alpine on anything other than shoes. I've seen the destruction of both bikes and moto's and it's annoying considering that can never be undone.

Clunking is for retards.