Trial Riding Thread - All Things Trials

May 28, 2012, 8:15 p.m.

Non motorized BC users of an area do not want to hear the exhaust note of a trials bike however muted it might be or see the tracks or garbage that gets left or be around motorized BC users which motorized users just can't seem to grasp, you may even be right on the footprint but non-motorized is non-motorized … thems the rules

Where to start, since you mentioned rules….I hike, mtb, run, camp, moto trials and dirt bike all in the back country. I'm really glad in our free country that the Forest Range and Practices Act indicates that Crown land is for everyone and all forms of legal recreation. You may not like it but even a Section 56 trail status does not exclude other user groups from using the specified trail or area. Parks are governed differently and so it should be. In some Class A parks mountain bikes are even excluded….gasp…

I regularly clean up MTB trail garbage in my local maintenance rounds so don't be mislead that somehow the MTB'ers are the cleanest of folk. I also clean up after moto users but far less frequently. Of course I don't frequent gravel pits where motorized do the most garbage damage…

How about this, ride where you want, smile to the other user groups you see that are behaving well, perhaps even wave. Report the ones doing something wrong and move on. Read up on Marin County in California. Things can backfire.

….and no…I'm not sponsored

May 28, 2012, 8:19 p.m.

In 6 days of alpine riding last year i ran into no other users. And we were in legit zones.

May 28, 2012, 8:21 p.m.

If you enjoy this thread you may also enjoy:

May 28, 2012, 8:25 p.m.

Norona has a vest sponser?

May 28, 2012, 8:48 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4VM0JPQBQI

treezz
wow you are a ass

May 28, 2012, 10:15 p.m.

How about this, ride where you want, smile to the other user groups you see that are behaving well, perhaps even wave. Report the ones doing something wrong and move on. Read up on Marin County in California. Things can backfire.

….and no…I'm not sponsored

if you have a legal right to be somewhere then you have a legal right which is not the same as ride where you want … just observe the rules

May 28, 2012, 10:22 p.m.

Its NBR and there are alot of Mountain bikers on this forum that ride trials.

I like the idea of one thread though.

Yup, it was pre morning coffee and I have since deleted my post. Motor on.

May 29, 2012, 7:30 a.m.

if you have a legal right to be somewhere then you have a legal right which is not the same as ride where you want … just observe the rules

well im a dick and pretty much do what I please. I do try to fly pretty far under the radar though.

of course every MTB trail on the shore was built when it shouldn't have been under "the rules"

Ive ridden trials bikes where I shouldn't
I poached hiking only trails on my MTB
Ive built illegal MTB trails

and I do all the above by trying not impact any other users

May 29, 2012, 8:40 a.m.

I'm amazed at the difference between the impact of moto vs the impact of a trials bike. I've seen motos poach trails in Snowden and at Forbidden Plateau and just rip the shit out of things, and then you get a group of guys on trials bikes and the only thing marking their passage on established trails is a bit of a tire imprint in muddy ground (no worse than that from a mtn bike either).

If I could find a cheap trials bike I think it's something I'd want to try.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

May 29, 2012, 8:59 a.m.

2 completely different sports. Only similarity is they are both motorized.

Moto/Enduro bikes rely on momentum to get through tougher sections and when one got stuck, the knobbys will rip the shit out of the trails. Granted that good riders would likely created less damage on the trail but it only takes a stuck riders and the damage will be done.

Trials rely solely on traction from the rear tire and when you get wheel spin, the tire does not dig or chew out the dirt.

And as far as noise, the float planes are way louder than any trials bike but I guess MTBers are ok with noise when it fits their needs?

May 29, 2012, 9:01 a.m.

I do try to fly pretty far under the radar though. /QUOTE]

its probably a good idea and we probably all have, I hope some eco-terrorist/monkey wrencher doesn't stretch a piece of barbed wire at neck height on one of your covert ops

May 29, 2012, 9:09 a.m.

I do try to fly pretty far under the radar though. /QUOTE]

its probably a good idea and we probably all have, I hope some eco-terrorist/monkey wrencher doesn't stretch a piece of barbed wire at neck height on one of your covert ops

is that really a concen of yours? its more likley on mtb than anything since we recreate so close town.

some dick did put a rake through our beer stash building though.

May 29, 2012, 9:17 a.m.

The whole argument that trials bike don't do damage is a load of crap.

I am a fan, but it's time the trials guys are treated the same as the moto guys.

Stay off the MTB trails with you trials bikes.

Stay off the MTB trails with your electric bikes.

They are called MTB trails for a reason.

They do get wheel spin. Maybe the super experienced guys can do it right but not everyone.

I was on an trail with a group 2 days ago and a trials guy went thru and ripped the shit out of it.

Maybe trials riders should work for 20 yrs on advocacy as the MTB crowd has and they wouldn't need to justify the poaching of MTB trails?

C4 Rider Training 2013

Contact me at: [email protected]

I am not so good at returning PM's as some have noticed.

c4race.com

May 29, 2012, 9:26 a.m.

Is trials bikes on MTB trails an issue? generally there is better stuff to ride than mountain bike trails. other than Crumpit and valleycliff where they both tend to get along.

May 29, 2012, 9:32 a.m.

I think it will become a problem, as I said the guy roosting past us and all the kids looking at his tracks and saying " people tell me that trails bikes do no damage"

The cloud of 2 stroke smoke in the woods lingered long after he was gone and i saw at least 5 xc'ers riding thru after him that must have been stoked.

C4 Rider Training 2013

Contact me at: [email protected]

I am not so good at returning PM's as some have noticed.

c4race.com