Tree Planting

March 27, 2006, 10:03 a.m.

Im considering doing tree planting this year in the interior BC. The crew i might be working for would be starting in PG and goin more northwards. Apparently they were the top crew last year so if i got in, we'd be getting free camp costs or 1 cent more per tree. Which is enticing. I know its tough work(understatment). Have any of you guys done it? What was it like? Any advice?

2 billion degrees Kelvin

March 27, 2006, 10:14 a.m.

i did it and its a tough grind on your back - make sure you have strong core body strength, don't mind heaving 100's of baby trees on your back, mosquitos, bears eating your lunch, pooing in the bush and basically living in dirt….. but if you're a student its pretty good $$ - plus you only spend money if they let you loose in PG for a weekend etc….uh oh

March 27, 2006, 10:15 a.m.

whats the company name? Ive done a fair bit of brushing, shitty work but I made a bit of money-for the hours you are working you can make the same or better cash working 2 jobs at 10 bucks an hour unless your a real high baller, then it's worthwile.
first year don't expect to make much unless yer used to really hard work. It's not easy work, I won't lie about that but the lifestyle appeals to some people.

if you go with the mentality that you're going to bust your ass and make as much money as you can then you'll do alright, it you go to "have a good time" then you'll get your ass handed to you out there haha

March 27, 2006, 10:16 a.m.

there is a book about tree planting in and around the interiour that tells you how to survive check the book store.Paddle buddy of mine has run camps I think he said there is a 90% dropout rate… very tough game but some peopel go back years after year

March 27, 2006, 10:28 a.m.

yah, i dont mind working hard, ive worked as a framer before in some pretty cold colds and miserable days, but im sure that wont compare to this. Im not sure what company it is, one of my buddies is doin it for sure and he said he might be able to get me in. Thanks

2 billion degrees Kelvin

March 27, 2006, 3:37 p.m.

I Deal with treeplanters everyday in PG at my shop…….Who are ya working for?

March 27, 2006, 3:47 p.m.

I tree planted for a few years - it was fun - I enjoyed it - it was definately hard work - and I will certainly never do it again…. it takes a special person to love it - I met some amazing people - I love the outdoors and can handle long periods of solitude and long periods of never getting any. The bugs - now they killed me - it also really depends on who you work for - I hear there is not nearly as much money in it as there used to be. It is definately an experience and an adventure -

I used to dream about planting trees one by one all night - I would wake up in the morning exausted and I hadn't made a penny - it is hard work physically but that is the easy part - it is the mental part that killed me - making a living 10 cents at a time is not easy. I made a ton of money the first few years but I lost my enthusiasm - eventually I spent as much time looking for somewhere to take a nap and not be found as I did looking for places to plant a tree.

2004 Banshee scratch for sale 999 obo - great condition - choice of Z3 or rigid funn fork - single speed - 3 piece cranks - hardly used…. pm me for more details

March 27, 2006, 7 p.m.

Good money, hard work, little respect, if you do it and ever encounter them, watch out for the fire fighters (most are pricks ;)), if you ever load into a helicopter, dont touch the antenna sticking out of the nose hahahaa. Funny story behind that, its heated to defrost ice in the winter, when I was doing the schooling for fire fighting (havent worked a day yet, might get on a cat this year though) one of the pilots was saying that he was getting pissed off at planters grabbing it as they walk by to load into the cab, so he turned it on and burned the shit outta some guys hand :P. Thats about all the advice I got for ya for the time being :D.

WTB-3000psi, 80cuft Scuba Tank. Preferably with at least 2 years left remaining till next Hydro Test.

March 27, 2006, 11:06 p.m.

I'm working for Folklore out of PG this season.

Jason, see you in a few months.

*FLY TRINITY! FLY!*

██████ L I V E S T R O N G ██████

SEVEN STRAIGHT SUCKA!

March 27, 2006, 11:30 p.m.

I'm working for Folklore out of PG this season.

Jason, see you in a few months.

I deal with greg almost on a daily basis, great mechanic!

March 28, 2006, 7:29 a.m.

Tree planters are the scum of the forest industry :)

I've never done it myself but I work with a couple people who have. What these guys are telling you is right. It's super hard work, but good money if your into it.

Hug a logger, you'll never go back to trees

March 28, 2006, 7:37 a.m.

When I was younger, I tree planted for 3 summers. It was the best time of my life, AND I made a killing. The people I was with were kewl, not to mention my GF came with all 3 summers. Kept me out of trouble and paid for most of my schooling.
Just make sure you don't spend too much $ drinking when you go back into town :)

March 28, 2006, 7:42 a.m.

Just make sure you don't spend too much $ drinking when you go back into town :)

And please, take a god damn shower before you come in and get your brushsaw fixed:lol:

March 28, 2006, 9:38 a.m.

be careful down town, some of those bars downtown can be dangerous if you are stupid drunk. I used to talk to this IT guy in toro and when I tell him I'm calling from P.G. he always brought up the bit about his planting buddy getting his ear bitten off

places like joes in P.G. are like walking into the sunrise hotel in Vancover,a cabling contracter I was drinking with told me he got hit up for money in the P.G. hotel … across the street at coaches corner we were fine

its just the downtown woes of any city but its a small city so its condensed into a small area ,remember it takes a clear mind to make it

March 28, 2006, 4:38 p.m.

Planting is what you make of it. If you go out and whine about the mosquitos and the bears, it's gonna suck. If you work your ass off and get along with your crew, it can be an awesome time.

Check the Folklore site, they have some info on what to expect out there.

http://www.folklorecontracting.ca

Good choice BuckChoklit. Kurt and Jim are good guys and the company has a solid rep around town.