Translink & 0.5% vote (merged)

July 5, 2015, 11:13 a.m.

http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=11187386

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

July 5, 2015, 3:03 p.m.

That pretty much nailed it.

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

July 5, 2015, 4:24 p.m.

However, all the rail systems are national, not Europe wide. For example the Netherlands has half the population of Canada yet they have 3000km of track and move 500 million people a year.

Kind of an extreme comparison, but just as an illustration, the average population density of the Netherlands is 500 per sq km (the entire country), Canada's is 4 per square km.

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/EN.POP.DNST

"The real Vancouver emerges"

Kind of a silly article.

"They’re resistant to change. They abhor densification. They’re conventional in their sensibilities and they’re highly dependent on the automobile. More importantly, they’re not just dependent on the automobile, they prefer it.

Somehow, that important distinction was ignored in the plebiscite campaign."

Look at the vote breakdown. People who voted against the plan are overwhelmingly from the outer suburbs and not well-served served by transit and/or do not live, or work or go downtown very much. They see transit improvements as something that benefits people who already can already afford to live near downtown the most vis-a-vis the Broadway SkyTrain extension.

July 5, 2015, 5:53 p.m.

Are you saying that people that use the transit system are the ones that should be paying for it?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

July 5, 2015, 7:55 p.m.

Are you saying that people that use the transit system are the ones that should be paying for it?

What if people had to actually pay for all the external costs of their cars? Transit may be subsidized but not nearly to the extent that driving is.

www.natooke.com

July 5, 2015, 8:57 p.m.

What if people had to actually pay for all the external costs of their cars? Transit may be subsidized but not nearly to the extent that driving is.

A quarter of the revenue of the transit system comes from tax on gasoline. Fares only account for half of the cost of running the transit system.

How much more is driving subsidized? Is it a lot more?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

July 5, 2015, 9:04 p.m.

Actually, yes.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

July 5, 2015, 9:04 p.m.

"They’re resistant to change. They abhor densification. They’re conventional in their sensibilities and they’re highly dependent on the automobile. More importantly, they’re not just dependent on the automobile, they prefer it."

Densification in Vancouver is not some means to an end. You could reason that densification is benefitting the LM if condos constituted affordable housing for the average Vancouverite. Instead, condos have become a money-making bonanza for developers and an investment tool for the wealthy to make even more money.

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Barbara+Yaffe+Even+condos+becoming+reach+Vancouver+high+housing+market/10154773/story.html

Schliewinsky says, increasingly, even multi-unit dwellings are becoming unaffordable for most buyers.

According to Schliewinsky’s Condo Report last spring, buying a 1,087-square-foot, two-bedroom unit in a new highrise on Vancouver’s east side cost, on average, $705,456 — plus HST; on the west side, $768,483 for 942 square feet.

Clearly, even condos — representing 33.5 per cent of Vancouver’s existing housing stock — aren’t a comprehensive answer to affordability in this city.

July 5, 2015, 9:07 p.m.

A quarter of the revenue of the transit system comes from tax on gasoline. Fares only account for half of the cost of running the transit system.

How much more is driving subsidized? Is it a lot more?

the fuel you burn is subsidized.

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

July 5, 2015, 9:44 p.m.

What subsidies are there on fuel?

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

July 5, 2015, 10:44 p.m.

Great piece in the north shore news about the highway.

http://www.nsnews.com/news/highway-1-no-longer-making-the-cut-1.1989414

Most of the traffic is contractors and it make more sense to take transit than build bridges. Mayor Walton seems like a smart guy.

July 5, 2015, 10:47 p.m.

Nobody cares if you are smart. They only care if you can make them (more) wealthy.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

July 5, 2015, 11:36 p.m.

The road between Lonsdale and the bridge is designed terribly. Very short on and off ramps. Three lanes merging to two and then back to three. Way too many curves. Drivers get near the bridge and slow down instead of keeping the flow moving.

Drive in the USA and you'll find much better road layouts and off/on ramps.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

July 6, 2015, 2:06 a.m.

What subsidies are there on fuel?

I remember reading a figure that for every dollar you spend driving your car society has to pay about nine dollars where for every dollar you spend taking the bus society pays about two. Motorists don't usually think about this though because they pay so much personally to drive that they assume they're covering all the costs via gas tax. I think the reality is the gas tax doesn't come close to covering the costs of building and maintaining all the roads and most is covered by taxes on businesses. I'm not an expert at finding this info on google though so maybe KenN has a good source.

www.natooke.com

July 6, 2015, 4:08 a.m.

The USA built their interstate roadway with a fuel tax.

As for Canada, most provinces and the federal government put fuel taxes, tolls, and fines into the general pool. But in Ontario, building and maintainance of roads uses fuel tax, and that tax covers most of the cost.

Then there is revenue on taxes on other vehicle related items, such as the sale and maintenance of the vehicle. I think other provinces either put gas tax revenue in a pot and take from there, although

http://blog.caasco.com/whatshappening/drivers-pay-for-ontarios-road-infrastructure-costs/

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells